Fixed Raid tool membership change crashing/lockup bug

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by adetia, Oct 25, 2019.

1. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

We've been dealing with this one for the better part of two years, or maybe even longer.
    It seems to happen more frequently when people join the raid in a pre-existing group.

Occasionally, when you go to move someone from the "ungrouped" portion of the raid into a group, the raid leader and about a dozen other people will all instantly lock up, and you have to control-alt-delete to terminate the process - it never crashes on its own.

When it does happen, we almost always have to have everyone disband that raid and start a new one or we will have this problem on a repeated basis as long as we keep that raid.

I have not been able to definitely prove reproduction steps and would welcome any pointers on things to try/eliminate for testing purposes.
    Bidaum_TR, Kaponen, Baldur and 9 others like this.
  2. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

For what its worth, this transfers to beta as well, so even if something is corrupted on our end with one of our players, or something, it followed over. We had two crashes just before our raid test on Thursday due to this.
    Bidaum_TR likes this.
  3. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Seems to be even worse on beta then on live. Another of these crashes on Wednesday of this week while gathering for our dev test.
  4. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Happened again today.
    We had two crashes on Beta around 7:30pm EST related to this bug.
    The first time, approximately 12 people crashed.
    The second time, again approximately a dozen crashed, but it was a mix of the same people and different people.

We had people who crashed both times, people who crashed the first but not the second, the second but not the first, and people who crashed neither time.
  5. niente Developer

Looked in our crash logs for this, I found one crash that may have been from your raid, but if it's that one it looks difficult to fix (crash in an external library).

It would help if next time this happens (on beta) you can list all the players who crashed in the raid.

Also, I have never seen this bug personally or heard about it from other guilds, if you hear about it happening elsewhere that would help (possibly bad character data involved).
  6. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I'm fairly certain its only happening to us, though it did happen to us when we had guests from Crimson Tempest with us not too long ago! They mentioned at the time they'd never experienced such a thing.

We do have two people who were manually moved from stormhammer to luclin that were present - myself and tharkis - but that feels like grasping at straws, though i've often wondered if that would be why we face it but most dont.

I'll try to get a list - it happened again to us yesterday but i couldn't get an ingame screenshot because it always crashes me - next time i'll take a windows one or a screen grab for sure for you.
    niente likes this.
  7. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

8. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

This was what the raid looked like when we got one of these crashes on Sunday, November 24th - I was just moving folks into groups.

I know myself and Kasya both crashed, I'm still looking for my list of others who also crashed this time around.
  9. niente Developer

I looked a bit but didn't find anything very useful yet, can you give some more information:
    - Server (live has better crash reporting now than when I last posted)
    - Names of any/all players who crashed (can PM me this if you like)
    - For those who crash, do they crash or go LD?
    - Time / timezone of crash

Edit: Now that I think about it if your clients are hanging then we may not be getting a crash report at all, but with a timestamp I can check other error logs.
  10. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

1. that particular crash was on live, so Luclin.
    2. Adetia, Oliiver, Kasya crashed for sure, will get a better list next time thati wont lose before i post LOL.
    3. Everything on screen freezes, but you have to manually end the EverQuest task or it will sit there until the end of time, but the "crash" happens at the exact same moment for everyone that is impacted.
    4. ‎Sunday, ‎November ‎24, ‎2019, but I don't have a time scrawled down - I'll do better next time it happens. we are done raids for the week so wont be until at least sunday.
  11. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

also for whatever reason its compounded by having people already in groups when they join the raid.
  12. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Sent info to niente about today's crash - the first one in quite some time!
  13. niente Developer

Please update if this happens again after 2/14/2020
  14. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Happened today, first time in awhile. Usual suspects including Medicine, Kasya, Bowow, Revolutia and myself crashed. (there may be others as well, but we definitely did.) mine was a hard locking crash that i had to ctrl-alt-del out of, but not everyone had that problem.
  15. niente Developer

I found some logs that might help diagnose this, thanks.
  16. niente Developer

A potential fix for this crash was added in the May 2021 patch. If you get this crash again, please take a dmp of your EQ client (if possible) and/or post in the bug forums and let us know that it's still occurring.
    adetia likes this.