So...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pappasalt, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That0neguy Augur

They aren't. They are figuring it out from what you have loaded in RAM. Also, where have you been for the last 15 years? This is nothing new. Multiple companies do this. You actually agree to it every time you accept the EULA.
  2. Ghubuk Augur

Every time you log in, you agree to them doing this.
  3. GnomesRUs New Member

I run Virtual Box and VMware for work 24/7. I have never used them for EQ.

I run 2 accounts. One on my main pc w/ the work VMs. The other on the laptop with no VMs.

The main pc acct got suspended. The other is fine.
  4. Yolan Lorekeeper

As stated. I had a VM installed (uninstalled now). I have 3 computers and 2 accounts so have no reason to use a VM for EQ. I am 100% sure DBG could not show me anything that shows me using a VM for EQ. In fact I am fairly sure no kind of VM.exe has been run on this pc since I built it (months ago). I am guessing since the VM was installed I had processes running on start up which I never even thought about.

I understand everyones views about "obviously you were cheating". And I've been one of those speaking against people using VM's for boxing armies. But obviously innocent people got caught up in this.
  5. Clove New Member

Coleader just ate a 7 day suspension for running a VM that he strictly uses for work. I know this for a fact as I group with the dude daily and he only runs one toon.

Way to push away your players DBG.
    PotatoPower and NotACheater like this.
  6. Machen New Member

Running VM's while playing EQ has gotten you suspended going back 10+ years now, off and on. Probably they ran their script to detect it a new time with Miragul's launch. It was actually a company-wide policy long before truebox was a thing due to abuses in Planetside. If you have a VM running, they have no way to detect what it is doing--that's part of the point of the VM. They don't know if you are using it to run a second EQ account, run Show*eq, or log into your work systems. So, at times, they will assume you are using it for nefarious purposes. Especially on new servers where they are targetting enforcement.

If you enjoy your EQ accounts, don't run VM while playing EQ. Having it installed isn't a problem, but running it can be.
  7. Yolan Lorekeeper

Thats sort of the point. While I had a VM installed I never used it. I never clicked an exe. I assume there were process running on start up which I didn't read the names before I uninstalled it. Never have I ever start a VM while running EQ though. So simply having the software installed and letting it do its own background thing was enough to flag me. So (if possible) they need to refine the scan to see if an actual exe? is running?
    PotatoPower likes this.
  8. Frustration New Member

Careful, i have Logitech mouse software that allows for customization and binds/ scripts. Should I uninstall that ? Is it ok if I have visual basic installed?
    What about Excel? Vba inside Excel...

Seriously, ban the people using maphacks and other things. This VM attack is just odd.
    PotatoPower likes this.
  9. Clove New Member

I would genuinely love to see where this policy is published for its Everquest customers.
  10. Icaen Elder

This black and white mentality is so dumb. There's nothing wrong with people who box to fill the gaps during off-hours where groups aren't easily filled in a 20 year old MMO and it's either A) Log Off or B) Spam LFG/LF1M for hours until people log on. Boxing means you don't have to do A or B.

It's really bad though when real players get passed over for a box, though.
  11. Machen New Member

It's not, and according to the EULA that we all agree to, it doesn't have to be. They can ban anyone at any time for any reason. You agree to that every time you hit play.

That said, go back 10 years on the Newbie Zone forum and the Player Support forum and you will find complaints of people being banned in the exact same manner, and VM's cited as the reason by SOE staff.

Correction -- There IS a thread where Piestro formally says to not use VM's while playing Everquest or you will be banned, on one of those forums 5-10 years ago when he was the community manager. It has been published, just not in the places you might expect.
  12. Koreban Dallas New Member

Didn't even know I still had VM Workstation Pro still installed on the laptop. It is so out of date I can't even launch it without getting errors about incompatibility with Windows 10. Seems pretty stupid to mass suspend/ban your players without any validation that they are using a very common commercial application to violate your rules.
    PotatoPower likes this.
  13. Clove New Member

Consequently I have read the EULA in its entirety and the only thing even resembling rationale for this ban is a call to an adherence to all rules posted on official website and forum. I'm failing to find it inappropriate. Rules thread or a sticky.
  14. Machen New Member

15. Machen New Member

They actually, literally, can. Whether they can survive as a company is another matter, but if they want to ban people for running VM software while playing EQ, they can do that.
  16. Clove New Member

Thanks for the link; I read it and I see no comments from devs or moderators in any capacity. There is nothing about it stickied anywhere and there is nothing about it in the EULA beaides that they can ban you for anything they feel like.

Edit: spelling is hard
  17. GnomesRUs New Member

Great! Do you have a list of forum posts so I can catch up on Everquest case law so that I know what not to screw up in the future?
  18. Machen New Member

19. Machen New Member

Also post 44, states that you shouldn't have a problem just having it installed, only if it is running.

As far as I know, that is still the case.
  20. Machen New Member

The funny thing was, this was actually all from before Truebox even existed. Policies in place purely because they were dealing with the exact same issue in Planetside.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.