Miragul - How much progression can be done w/ mercs?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fiugvktffkhgvkkh, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Fiugvktffkhgvkkh New Member

My wife and I are going to play 3 characters total so we have a full group including 3 mercs. We just started the HoT progression tasks and I’m wondering how far we can go using mercs. Neither of us has played past PoP so this is all new thus far
  2. Machen New Member

All of it, depending on your classes.
  3. Fiugvktffkhgvkkh New Member

Currently berserker, cleric, mage.
  4. Numiko Augur

merc's have been tuned many times over the years and are much better now then they were originally, plus you get merc AA's right from the start too which helps. They will work fine for HoT group progression.
  5. Machen New Member

Then probably not. You will need a puller and a mezzer to get through some of it.
  6. Zippie Journeyman

Zero raid content. Mercenaries don't work in raid zones. That means no raid gear for you and your wife since all raid gear is no-trade.
  7. Machen New Member

HoT progression tasks are not raid content.
  8. Zippie Journeyman

My bad. Didn't realize he was asking just about HoT progression. I see it now in his post. For some reason I thought he was talking about how far he and his wife could get in EQ in general.
    Machen likes this.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

You can get by with this, but you may want to make your life easier and pick classes that have more utility without sacrificing damage.

I'd suggest: Enchanter, Magician, and Cleric.
    This in my opinion, would be a fantastic trio. Whomever is boxing could main the Enchanter and drag the Mage for damage. A dedicated healer would make the group even stronger.
    - Twin-Cast Aura, Mezz, Slowing, Debuffs, Pacify, Huge Damage potential, and Healing.
    - - 2 Wizard Mercenaries and 1 Tank (Primary)
    - - 1 Wizard + 2 Tanks (For tougher group content)
    - - 1 Wizard, 1 Cleric, and 1 Tank (For even tougher

Other great trios,
    Shadow Knight, Bard, and Cleric
    Shadow Knight, Enchanter, Cleric
    Shadow Knight, Bard, and Shaman. (This is what I currently run on Phinny, but add a Monk.)
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Not true. They can do ALL the group content with that.

Don't forget all this stuff was nerfed crazily too. I was in max underfoot raid gear when HoT was release on live (paladin), and I messed around on miragul, with a heroic paladin, and I can say this definitively, that heroic one had a WAY easier time killing than my convorteum geared paladin did way back when.

Sad really.
  11. Machen New Member

I just did it. Tank merc couldn't tank the adds in the Library without mez, healing couldn't keep up. He has the mage for tanking but it won't pick up the adds.
  12. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I'm with Machen, in the group game, some form of CC is mandatory, unless you're into beating your head against the wall.
  13. Nolrog Augur

All of it. Buddy and I, 2 mains (ranger, BST), 2 boxes (ranger, Druid), 2 mercs (cleric, cleric) did every quest, mission and killed every named in HoT before the 3 months was up.
  14. Machen New Member

I'm sure ranger is enough cc to get it done, vinelashing adds, and bst slow helps a lot too. He doens't have even that much cc, or any kind of slow. I think it's going to be painfully unsuccessful.
  15. Karthos Augur

I agree that at least what I've seen of T1 it feels toned down. Of course a lot of that may be due to me leveling up a warrior box alongside my ranger main. Rangers have definitely missed out on the warrior portion of the warrior/druid hybrid. More so in current expansions.

Edit: I want to emphasize that if you don't have a real tank once we enter modern expansions things are going to get very frustrating as far as completing content goes. Some missions are tank mandatory.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Should be fine, you have the mage pet for tanking, the cleric for pulling and the zerker for dps, add in a couple of dps mercs and your golden.

When you do the frog ghosts in the NE corner of Feerrot use a healer merc it lags to death over there and a merc heals when a lagged out player can't :)

Enjoy
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Hmmm... I don't remember any issues with lag over there. Some of my laptops are pretty bad, too.
  18. Imbetterthanyou New Member

i have this EXACT same setup zerk mage clerc and 3 mercs and i am T4 flagged and can request every mission aka ive done all progression. No specific puller needed nor CC. Real simple.