EQ3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

EQ1 has a huge game world. Frankly, the arrangement of the zones is familiar and many like it. Why can't EQ3 use the already well imagined world of EQ1 yet implemented with the best technology features of 2020 and beyond?

Zoneless world. Though Greater Faydark still borders Lesser Faydark, now there isn't a zone. It is just a large forest. When I say large, I mean the size of Greater Faydark is greatly expanded. Not only does the domain of Crushbone and the Woodelves reside in this forest, due to the sheer size of the forest, many other attractions will be added.

A giant leap forward in AI technology. Long gone are the days when the creatures of Norrath stood around or walked between simple waypoints. See that small dark cloud, off in the distance, in the sky? It seems to be moving very fast and against the wind. Wait! It's a dragon! Your party scrambles to some nearby overgrowth to hide as the dragon passes by, hoping to escape its attention. Though it seems impossible for your party to know it, today it was unnecessary to hide, for this dragon does not hunt meat or treasure today, it has other pressing business faraway.

Imagine a world where the behavior of its creatures were realistically simulated. From basic herd animals to fantastical lonesome creatures such as werewolves, every creature has a lifespan in which it impacts the world. Whether that impact be great or small, it depends on the personal ambition of the creature and some of them will become legendary and their stories will be remembered and the force with which they reshape the world will be felt generation after generation! Everquest Lengends.

Dynamic weather and seasons. Rainstorms, howling wind, blistering heat, tornados, blizzards, typhoons, lightning and thunder, sandstorms, and every other natural and even a few unnatural weather conditions can and do arise across the vastness of Norrath. These conditions can be just as dangerous as the most fearsome of foes for the unwary. So equip your character wisely, for the one who travels the Deserts of Ro must dress differently than those that cross the icey Great Divide.

Multiple Markets. Just as a traveler must choose the appropriate garb for the climate, he must also choose an appropriate mount. Some mounts may be swift and steady over the expansive reaches of the West Karanas yet the same mount might lose its nerve and strength in the hot dry air of Lavastorm. Worry not! Check the local market. Whether you be in Halas or Queynos you are sure to find mounts suitable for the region and perhaps more exotic creatures might have been brought from around the world by other enterprising traders.

The personal dungeon master. Never see a creature spawn. Among the many things your personal DM does, one is to make sure than the game is immersive. You can't see your DM but you can interact with it through a user interface. You can set alarms and timers, compose messages, make written or voice notes, add details or notes to maps, and many other things. Not only does your DM interface with the appropriate game systems for you, it can be done with voice commands too. It can also monitor your quality of life. Game life to be more exact. Is the game too slow paced today? Tell your DM. Your DM can take the action up a notch or two for you. Your DM constantly works behind the scenes in harmony with other DMs and the game's systems to create a dynamic and rewarding adventure just for you and your companions. You can hardly guess what your party's DMs will throw at you next. They observe your play style and enhance your experience. Not in the mood? Turn off this feature and experience the untailored but still exciting world of Norrath.

And many more new and thrilling features....
    Metanis likes this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

No please no.

They don't have the money or the staff for this.

Look at EQ2, this is what happens when they try to 'update' it.

If you love EQ, then let it thrive by keeping it's tiny staff on point (EQ1).

The wife that you love doesn't need a face-lift, she needs love, and that is all.
    Kontra, Shanarias, Bjornulf and 4 others like this.
  3. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Come on Magnus. EQ1 was never the end of what fantasy adventure gamers wanted. It was just all that they could manage at the time. We fit our fantasy into the EQ sandbox. They have built on it and it's a great but a new EQ would be good.

We need a new box with cooler and smarter toys. It is natural to want it. Few people want to play with one toy, in one spot, at only one game for their whole life. A new box. Yes. Yes.
  4. Vizier Augur

There are plenty of toys out there for you to play with. Pick any MMO you like but let them make EQ without splitting resources please. They can barely handle what they have now with all the layoffs.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Diptera Augur

When Pantheon finally ships... ;)
    eepok likes this.
  6. enclee Augur

EverQuest is a bit of a dead IP. However, I'd like to see in EQ game in the same style as the Divinity Original Sin games.
  7. Tucoh Augur

No.
    Shanarias and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

That game is vaporware, it's never coming out.
    eepok, Oakenblade, Duder and 2 others like this.
  9. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

I would bet that most of you, if not all, wouldn't mind seeing the world of Norrath in stunning 4k graphics. With a crisp clean interface with ease of accessibility features, up to and including some hands free ability, with voice commands such as:

Tell Soandso, "Greetings".
    Assist Soandso
    Follow this road north
    Sneak up to the next tree, (tree highlights), yes that one
    Unshealth my sword

With the new personal DM you can issue commands like these and it's ability to understand new commands and even full sentences is growing. (Just imagine)

The joy of giving your arthritis ridden finger joints a much needed rest. (A friendly jest)

Perhaps you could launch EQL on your large screen TV and play exclusively by simply telling the personal DM what you would like to do, or you can play with a mouse and keyboard, or some combination.

This and other amazing choices are yours to make in the brand new version of your old favorite classic and historic game.
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

nope. leave my EQ alone. no more taking our resources that we have paid into, and turning them to something else. Leave our money in our game.
  11. Zamiam Augur

thats what the new games are for .. if you want that stuff go play them .. leave EQ alone ..
    Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  12. code-zero Augur

The human eye with rare exceptions cannot distinguish 4k graphics. It's beyond the limits of resolution
  13. Cicelee Augur

For those keeping score, it looks like the OP is on an island all by itself.

Games do not thrive on graphics. They thrive on gameplay, community, and content. Which EQ1 has in spades, regardless if we agree or disagree on those spades...
    Oakenblade, Elyssanda, Duder and 3 others like this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

You mean "Smedly" failed at upgrading EQ to a new platform that might attract new players? Would be cool to know where that revenue went after they suckered people into financing with founders packs and what not.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You can really paint Smed both ways, interesting character. He and D.G. built up Landmark, Next, H1Z1, PS2. They knew the end was coming from Sony and sold off to (well we aren't really sure who the proper buyer actually was still are we?) but Columbus Nova for lack of a nut inside the shell (company) to point to.

They spent all kinds of money that seems really poorly chosen in retrospect. H1Z1 splitting then one half left for dead. PS2 adding PS Arena for the failed Battle Royale wanna be. So much more wasted money.

But in the end, didn't Smed help in the pump up, get out at the right time after the dump. And do not too badly for himself in the process?

Whereas, 'Ponytail' as they call him now, is selling VR-headset cleaners?

just sayin' :p
  16. roth Augur

While I would love to see another game released under the Everquest umbrella, I do not think that a third Everquest MMO would help all that much - especially not as the TC envisions (I could see that zone-less experience working for single player games, were it not for the fact that the best of them are not zone-less - even Fallout 3, NV, 4, TES 3, 4, 5 all incorporate “zones” in the over world for random encounter purposes, even if there is no load time associated with those zones). There is just too much for the game platform and servers to keep track of, especially if you want to dramatically increase the information that needs to be displayed, for it to work even reasonably well with a MMO.

Champions of Norrath, Champions Return to Arms, are a pair of single or multiplayer games that could stand a sequel or ten. Or perhaps bring Legends of Norrath back as a completely standalone product, not incorporated into EQ1 or EQ2 in any way. Heck, a racing game using the various mounts in EQ, using the zone data to make the racetracks. There are plenty of ways in which the Everquest brand could be furthered, without ruining EQ or EQ2 further.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  17. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Agreed on the Champions of Norrath games, I love them.

The MMO market is dying and has been for years. There isn't a lot of playerbase to leech that's not already invested in WoW and FFXIV. BDO made waves to start but has died off - forcing PVP participation at level 45 was not a good choice. Even if Pantheon releases, will it's investors be satisfied with a small niche playerbase of EQ veterans? Not likely, that's why I call it vaporware. How long's it been in development? How many graffic overhauls is that game going to have to go through before even launching because they have dragged their feet so long..?

IMO, it's not in DBG's best interest to create a new EQ in the current market. How do they recreate the wheel - EQ invented it.
  18. Zippie Journeyman

Just do a deal with another larger development group to have them make a new Everquest-based game under the DBG publishing umbrella. No DBG development/design/artist resources need to be impacted at all.

No reason DBG couldn't do this to make a whole assortment of different Everquest-based games in varied genres. It's not a completely unheard of practice in the industry. I don't know why everybody assumes that only DBG can develop anything related to Everquest. They own the IP, and they can have any development studio they want make games for it.
    Alekzandre likes this.
  19. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Ok Ok. I see what I have here. A wall of Tanks and a couple of Enchanters, at the least. I respect that.

Well, I like to look at things from all sides when I can muster up the humility. Pray tell, Norrathians, just what would you spend a few truckloads of money on for EQ1, if they fixed all the bugs with the first truckload, balanced everything well with the second, and squirreled away a truckload for years of maintenance? You know, if money wasn't an issue?

What would you do to improve or modernize EQ1 or the EQ franchise or are you saying that EQ1 and EQ2 is as good as it gets? Perhaps a couple of low budget spin offs for a couple of kicks. Right now I am playing Civilization 6 but with with similar hesitation as is found here, I fear that I might have been playing an earlier version still.

I get the feeling you really think a good sequel is not possible and have settled for just hoping they don't go out of business. Without modernization, I believe it is a guarantee that the sad final day of EQ will eventually arrive. It is practically inevitable. The franchise needs the young to keep it alive.
  20. smash Augur

Just stop the thing, we like EQ as it is, and like it to be able to play instead of devs trying to do something we dont like. And throwing a lot of money out the window.

If you do not like how the game it, just go play something else.
    MasterMagnus likes this.