The more I play P1999 Green the more I want a new classic TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. MMOer Augur

It gives me the urge to play live EQ classic TLP again. Love when classic is populated and you can PUG level with people fresh. The lack of QoL improvements really hurt the enjoyment of the game.

I'd really love to have another classic TLP launched starting at Kunark so we can level up in all them great kunark zones for a change. Unfortunately I have no desire to see past POP so the new server does not fit me well.

P1999 is a great museum bit the QoL kills the enjoyment factor so much.

The experience penalties that drive players to focus on playing the same classes.
    The cant see crap captain lighting
    Re-implemented bugs and unfinished design such as mages not have pets on vendors and research being borked.
    Having to click the med button every time you sit down. (at least the book does not cover the whole screen)
    No pet window
    Pets die on zone
    Cant see invis self or groups
    etc etc...
  2. xmPradah Not a dude

3. MMOer Augur

I get that you may not want it or would rather not see a server compete with P1999 or Miragul

I want it though. Wish they would just pop open one other classic server (pref with Kunark open) along side of the Miragul Heroic Progression Server.
    nostalgicfool and Face_Rollan like this.
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Mangler is still in velious which is basically most of the target population for this and it's too soon for any of them to be keen on starting a classic grind again.
    Bardy McFly and Yinla like this.
  5. xmPradah Not a dude

Mangler is too new to pop open another Classic TLP. And a classic TLP won't compete with either P99 or Miragul. Miragul is so far beyond Classic, that there's just no way they would compete. P99 and EQ have very different player bases and loyalties to each, I don't think there's a ton of cross over, not enough to consider a threat to either.
  6. ntellect Augur

A new classic TLP will not compete with Miragul. P99 maybe.
  7. ntellect Augur

I dont get the classic crowd. You want to play classic up to a point but dont want a locked server (most left Agnarr) and would rather do classic over and over and infinitum. I love classic but two TLPs and I had my fill. I want to move forward.

I get some dont like the direction EQ went with but that goes back to a locked server which begs the question why wasnt Agnarr the TLP king?

It's got to be frustrating for DBG.
    Tymeless and Yinla like this.
  8. Jontrann Augur

Yup that's actually the reason i wish i would have stayed on phinny, its the only TLP that's went the distance, hell maybe you could say its been the only "successful" tlp to date.
  9. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

You can always go back. It's still there and I do think it will go the distance.
  10. Evertrek Augur

STOP!

lockjaw/ragefire->phinny->agmar->Selo is my chase of official TLP servers. i'm DONE with TLPs due to the fact that the next TLP kills the last. i would agree that if they had an expiration date and we could roll over our stuff/characters to live (retail) at the end i would be more interested. at this point each TLP has 1 or 2 raiding guilds using the TLP as their private server (and otherwise dead server).

lets just go old school and create guilds that do their own progression on live. maybe provide an XP multiplier switch so people can downgrade their XP if wanted. don't use POK, mercs, and such unless you have progressed enough or mix and match... live should get the picks and such to make raiding/grouping easier. but IMO TLP server is not needed and was an interesting experiment.
    Graethos likes this.
  11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

There was tons of crossover between p99 and Phinny.

Really the only reason there isn't on Mangler is because of all the 3rd party and the lack of anything being done about it.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No.

Oh what is that you say, BUT I WANT A NEW SERVER, well, there have been loads already, try Agnarr it's Pop-Locked & they would love to have you there I'm sure.

I would say there are enough TLP now already, maybe even too many, because it is actually not really a new server that you want, it's a big pool of players to play with at the same level as you, perhaps where you don't feel like you are miles behind the front of the pack anymore. The older a server gets the more spread out the casuals become from the more hardcore, pattern repeats every time as the casuals get left behind. For players like yourself I think the suggestion of "expansion locked servers" where each expansion gets it's own server would be a good fit, I do not think EQ has the technology & resources to pull that off though since that kind of server infrastructure would necessitate hundreds of character moves between those 26 & counting expansion servers - all in one direction.

I think that each successive TLP is splitting a limited number of players apart at this point, they aren't pulling in new players like they were & while a few will come back to EQ for each new TLP I think the well is running dry, anyone who wanted to come back to EQ with it's current graphical fidelity already did.

If DBG want even more to return, they would need to offer them a lot more than EQ is right now, by that Imean if there was a engine overhaul (Direct X 9C could possibly stop being supported by Microsoft OS's at some point) that included a full character model & user Interface overhaul/revamp then there would be some more who would consider a return, without those two very costly improvements to the game I think we have most of what we will get at this point, TLP have been very successful overall at bring people back but I think it's run it's course, one more TLP in March 2020 that is not Truebox & I think the TLP Horse will have run it's race for at least a while. There is such a thing as doing something that worked well so much that the shine wears off of it.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul only works so many times.
  13. Kontra Augur

Skuz, they'd literally have to wait out some of the newer TLPs, then just flat out delete all of the existing TLP servers (with fair warning so people don't go crazy) and then start over with a brand new set of servers (1 phinny clone, 1 selos clone etc) to "level the playing field to get the kinda #s you are talking about like we saw in classic/kunark on phinny and classic on mangler etc
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

I just wish they'd do a seasonal server from classic thru pop over 6 month stretches. Once 6 months is up, it's wiped and starts anew.

Then they could stop making servers that start at classic. At least for a long while.
  15. code-zero Augur

IIRC the only time they've ever wiped a server at the end it was the Discord perma death server. I believe the special rule for that was unlimited PvP and no possibility of rez or new character creation
  16. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

One cool thing about about Daybreak is they're recently(tm) doing things that are unprecedented for EQ.
  17. GNOME_POWER Augur

That dream is feasible if OP invests the DBG.
    Let's do our best! !
  18. johnnie Journeyman

I love tlp because i love original everquest all the way to ldon but what i really love about tlp his that rush to lvl 50,a full server of people at your lvl,live eq players and tlp eq players are 2 sets of different players but both are needed to keep everquest profitable and hopefully around for another 20 years.
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

So true.

It's not about robbing Peter. It's that Peter is delusional and thinks the majority of the TLP player base wants to play post POP content and he thinks not limiting boxing is okay. Look man p99s current player base isn't that much lower then Phinny was. A lot of the reason Phinny grew between Classic and SoV in the first place was that it attracted lots of P99 players. I know in AoS a lot of the new people that joined us had come over from 99 and some of the new guilds for example TMO and BDA were both p99 guilds. A lot of the reason that Mangler is shrinking is because players are fed up with the boxers/cheaters and all around tools that fill the server. So they're leaving for Classic WOW and p99. If DBG wants too have another successful TLP they need to do one that appeals to these players. Which means limiting boxing, Classic or maybe Kunark start and having the TLP start after Classic WOW and p99 are stagnating in content. Probably in the latter stages of Phase 4 for WOW.
  20. Chuuk Augur

The "dream" of a nostalgic TLP is real...but it's just that...a dream.

P99 Green is fun, but having zero of the QoL changes is rough sledding. On the other hand, modern TLPs, in my opinion, have too many QoL changes that take away from the nuance of the game.

Classic TLPs are a nice stroll down memory lane for sure, but that stroll is often cut short when you realize the game you knew and loved is merely a shell of itself and mystery and adventure you knew and loved is all but circumscribed onto your brain. No mystery. No adventure.

Currently, the race to 50 on these new TLPs is just a formality. We know the game is one dimensional - you level up and really nothing else matters. Then, when you get to 50, you revert to your TLP <insert class> raid gear guide and viola.

I'm personally done with rinse and repeat Classic thru Luclin TLPs - but I would be interested in a TLP that maybe offers up some additional dimensions while mixing some things up:
    • Make tradeskilling matter - give characters some benefit for having the skill other than the ability to make plat. Let smiths make no-drop armor or augments that are better than droppable, let researchers make no-drop spells that are better than vendor bought. Limit skills caps based on class.
    • Make races matter - revamp racial bonuses by making them much more weighted. If Ogres get frontal stun immunity (huge) give them something really crappy too so that one might choose a different class for warrior. Give erudites +35MR and -35DR instead of just 5. Revamp the starting stats - STR varies from 70-140 but AGI only varies from 75-100?
    • Make factioning matter - There should be skills / spells (all no-drop) in certain cities that require you to faction in order to get them. Sure, you can skip them if you want.
    • Make diety matter - Certain things should only be available to certain dieties moreso than they currently are. Maybe allow characters to change this for certain circumstances?
    • Make weapon types matter - You get the idea....
    In any case, there's a seemingly endless amount of good stuff that I think would make classic EQ an awesome re-experience. All of these dimensions were added into the game, but fell short on making any real impact.
    I think people want a unique character with a unique identity - which classic EQ provided and new EQ eliminated.
    Protocol likes this.