Not A Bug Norrathian Explorer cannot be completed

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Melorabo, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Melorabo New Member

When attempting to enter the Guild Hall for the Guild Hall Traveler (Visit your Guild Hall) achievement you receive the error message: You are not a member of any guild.

This zone is not listed as being locked behind any progression or keys.

Guild Hall Traveler is required for Guild Locals Explorer which is required for Norrathian Explorer.

While this is in its bugged state you are unable to level up your Journeyman's Compass or any evolving items that require Norrathian Explorer to be completed.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

You can either create your own guild (Alt + G) or join the server-default guild ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8451 ). Just make sure you're using the right-hand door to the guild hall in the lobby; the left-hand door requires you to purchase a guild plot in housing and place a guild hall.
    Melorabo and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  3. Melorabo New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Unfortunately joining or creating a guild is not an option.
    It does not seem like it would be intended that Norrathian Explorer is the only thing in the game that requires you to join a guild to complete.
  4. Moege Augur

Then go to housing, find guild halls and try and enter, some guild leave the hall unlocked.

Being in a guild is not a requirement to get this achievement
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Why not?

Why are you not able to join the "in game" guild? Its real easy - you do the quest which takes 5 minutes and then you say yes to join Novices of <server name here>. Go enter the guild on the right, leave out the door then drop the guild. No biggie, no officers, no one else in the guild you need to talk to.
  6. Melorabo New Member

Is it possible you have gotten your achievements mistaken?

The achievements from housing guild halls were Guild Hall (Grand) Traveler, Guild Hall (Modest) Traveler and Guild Hall (Palatial) Traveler.
    Like you said, all of these can be accomplished by visiting open guild halls and do not require being in a guild.
    They were also all made optional in the September 18, 2019 patch so are not needed for Norrathian Explorer.

Guild Hall Traveler is from the Dragons of Norrath Guild Hall off of the Guild Lobby which doesn't allow you to zone in if you aren't in a guild. If there is an open housing version out there then I'm struggling to see why it shouldn't become an optional achievement for the same reasons the Grand/Modest/Palatial Guild Halls did.

EverQuest is ultimately a roleplaying game and guilds are a personal decision.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Some personal decisions make it so you can't finish some achievements.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

And in RL too. Sigh
  9. Melorabo New Member

Sure, if you want to take that hardline stance. I'm not aware of any others with requirements as fundamental to your character as a guild though.

If you'd allow the changing of the term guild to marriage:
    Guild Hall went live in 2005 and zone achievements started being recorded in 2012.

Should a widow be forced to remarry because there is a marriage check on a zone and records while their husband was alive were lost?
    Apologies madam, we have no record of you ever being here. Please find a husband to enter this zone.

Would this be acceptable? Just a personal decision to remarry, right?
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I think there is an achievement for visiting the wedding chapel zones.
  11. KermittheFroglok Augur

1) As others have pointed out this ISN’T a big. This thread should be in player support.

2) I don’t follow. Marriage is (usually) a long term commitment and takes legal paperwork to get out of and Western society doesn’t generally mandate marriages. As others have pointed out you can even join the server’s generic “Novices” guild to access the hall. It only takes a few seconds to quit a guild. I’d say your arguement is more like someone refusing to use parcels but complaining about transferring items between alts, or someone refusing to use bags or the bank but complaining about storage.

At the end of the day a very easy solution has been presented, so good luck getting that achievement!
  12. Melorabo New Member

Perhaps we have different definitions of a bug. An entire class of player being blocked from a zone which results in significant advancement being denied to them leans towards a bug in my eyes. I have great difficulty in seeing this as being intended.

If there was a new live server launched with a guildless ruleset people there could do absolutely everything the game has to offer. They could do all the group content, kill all the raids and earn all the achivements. Everything, except for Norrathian Explorer. Does that sound normal to you?

We'd need to be flexible with the term legal paperwork but all of that accurately applies to guilds in EverQuest. There are even messy divorces when it comes to guild housing plots!

We obviously have vastly different views on the way we see guilds in this game and their significance.

Thank you for the good wishes and all the best to you too.
  13. Warpeace Augur

Sounds like someone does not like the answer and would rather argue?

There are several ways to complete the achievement, several are just not handed to you and require a little effort. Maybe ask in general chat on your server and your problem will be solved.
  14. That0neguy Augur

Regardless of how you feel this is obviously not a bug. Hopefully Dreamweaver will clean this forum up with all the junk that is starting to collect before it just becomes a pile of useless information and the dev's stop acting on these.
  15. KermittheFroglok Augur

1) It is working as the Devs intended. Instances of the guild hall are assigned to GUILDS, the rule even has a message appear to players making that clear. There is a tutorial and the "Novices of" guilds for people that are new or just refuse to join actual guilds, so there is no real "class" of players being underserved. You can access the amenities of a guild hall without committing yourself to the relationship of a guild. There are even plenty of people with personal guilds for just their alts and I'm not aware of a guild that gets annoyed with that practice.

2) With regards "significance" of guilds. It might help if you explain why using a placeholder guild (e.g. Novices of) or creating your own conflicts with your viewpoint on guilds? How can you not be in a guild if they're that important to you? I think some are getting frustrated because no one understands your position on guilds.
  16. Melorabo New Member

Arguments would rather be avoided, although the type of reaction this has received was unexpected. Not a single like :(. The answers proposed which can be summarized as "join a guild" are more work arounds than actual fixes to the underlying bug.

410 - The number of traveler achievements required complete all the explorer achievement for the various expansions in the game.
    409 (99.75%) - The number of zones that behave in a consistent manner for everyone.
    1 (0.25%) - The number of zones that behave consistent with the other zones for a section of the playerbase and abnormally for others.

With such an outlier it is impossible to declare with any real certainty that this is not a bug. Other threads have been cleaned up and closed with the [Not A Bug] prefix since this thread was created so it has at least passed initial inspection and deserves a closer look.

It is your opinion that the developers intended for Norrathian Explorer to be reserved only for people who had joined guilds? Guild Hall is the only zone in the game that has special requirements and is a required achievement. Every other zone with any kind of special requirement is optional.

You might draw a distinction between certain types of guild but there is little difference in my eyes.
    Guilds are a major development for any character, much like the marriage comparison made earlier. Be it the widow looking back on past memories of people long gone, the celibate who will never marry or the newlywed looking forward to a life of future adventures, joining or leaving a guild greatly shapes the nature and history of your character. Requiring a player to join one to accomplish an explorer achievement is unreasonable.
  17. Baldur Augur

You have yet to give a good reason why you can't join the generic server guild, zone into the guild hall, and then leave the guild. There is 0 commitment in joining the generic server guild, the quest was posted earlier in the thread.

It's not a workaround, they want you to join a guild, I'm sure that's why it's part of the explorer achievement.

And just for the porter alone it's well worth joining a guild.
  18. Chorus Augur

also, no achievements are "required". You either choose to meet the requirements to continue the achievement chain or you don't. That widow forced marriage analogy is pretty cringe worthy though, good job on that :p I'm a guy, so I can't get the 'I work out at Curves' achievement either, unless I transition...guess I'll never make that one IRL, ono!
    Duder likes this.
  19. CrazyLarth Augur

open guilds and houses are a thing ask on your sever where they are at. You don't need to join a guild to zone into a house or Guild hall if the permissions are set to allow all.