What was the most popular TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Anduven, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Anduven Journeyman

DBG, any chance you'd be willing to release some statistics on the most popular TLPs so far? Also, any chance we will see a repeat on the crowd favorites?

I personally LOVED Agnarr. One thing I would like to see is a repeat of Agnarr, but start with PoP unlocked from the beginning. This would give everyone a chance to level up in some of the new content, as opposed to the same old classic grind that comes with every new TLP.
  2. Machen New Member

Lol, really??

Phinigel has already been repeated several times.
    Skuz and Oakenblade like this.
  3. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Given what I've seen in this section of ForumQuest I think it's safe to say a lot of folks are a bit burned out on the classic portion of the game. Probably best to let that one sit on cooldown for a bit.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. RibbitDivot New Member

A brilliant tlp idea that shouldn't require a ton of work would be luclin unlocked but level cap locked. So first month Max level is 51. Next month is 55. Third month is level 60. Fourth month is pop and level 62. Etc. You can tweak the level and expansion unlock but I think the general idea would be a huge hit. It would introduce challenge and something new to the game while not actually changing much (thus actually doable by the small Dev team).
  5. taliefer Augur

Mangler, and its not particularly close. assuming you mean number of people played on, by popular
  6. Machen New Member

Curious about this. I don't play on Mangler, but just looking at the progression boards for Phinigel vs Mangler, the number of guilds for Kunark is almost identical, and higher on Phinigel for Velious. Is there something else going on on Mangler that makes the population so much greater than Phinigel? Obviously so, and not even close? Are there way more non guilded casuals, and how do you measure that?

Not challenging your statement, just genuinely curious.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Historically it was Phinny by a very wide margin. Phinny was hitting well over 3k concurrent players at expansion launches between Kunark and PoP

Currently it's P99 green

[IMG]
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Phinigel, Ragefire, Agnarr, Mangler, Fippy, Combine, Selo, the rest, then way way way down there is Miragul. If I had to guess by order of max population each server ever hit. Deck was probably a little stacked against the older TLPs just from how much pickzones increased the viability of massive server pops.
    Skuz and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

All the more reason DBG should ignore then 30 people crying constantly for a OoW start without truebox.
  10. Atabishii Elder

Mangler had a much much higher population in classic and kunark than phinny and agnarr did in my opinion. I would honestly be shocked if they were even close to Mangler. There were only a few guilds that had near or more than 100 members on phinny in those era's, while with mangler it was more than a handful. There was also more guilds on Mangler clearing in era content. From what I remember while playing on phinny there was only like 1 guild that was raiding and not being tracked on the progression site, where as Mangler had several guilds clearing content that you don't see tracked.

As far as Velious, Phinny's population in velious was much higher (can't speak for agnarr, i didn't go that far). The drastic decline with Mangler in velious is a result of many factors. You had wow classic release 1 day before velious, you had the p99 green release recently which was so huge they had to make 2 servers. You also had BT form with extremely bruised ego's and try to merge every single guild they possibly could in to one, which resulted in a massive turn over rate and many players leaving the server. You also have the hacking so out of control on mangler that many people are leaving.

tl;dr Mangler started out as the strongest TLP ever, but is dieing faster than any of the other TLP's.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

That's cause Phinny started out with absurdly bad XP and Mangler had bonus XP very early on. Once Phinny got a bump in base XP and had 17 days of 70% or whatever the anniversary bonus was Phinny's population was massive.

Your point about WoW classic is fair, but everyone that left for Green left because of the failures of the the server. SoV dropped on P99 blue when Phinny was the big TLP and i remember a lot of P99 players leaving P99 to play on Phinny at the time. The opposite is happening with Mangler and Green
  12. Jontrann Augur

I love hearing people say Phinny had the worst exp at launch but forget to mention that questing exp was absolutely broken. I guess most people don't remember the fast leveling via bonechips and gnoll fangs.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

People RMTing Fire Beetle eyes was the most beautiful thing I ever saw in EQ.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's because nobody leveled fast doing such a thing. Even if you abused the fact questing EXP was basically live rate questing XP was still trash on Phinny. It just seemed "fast" compared to the normal beyond trash xp. Phinny's questing exp was the same as Ragefire and in many cases worse then it is now because you had smaller stack sizes. On Phinny you couldn't stack red wine to 1000, you can actually get quicker XP doing Red wine on Mangler then you could on Phinny, it's just Mangler has good XP so there really is no reason to do it past like level 15.
  15. taliefer Augur

there was an absurdly large casual population on mangler. many guilds didnt bother reporting to those sites, and there were at least two absolutely massive guilds that catered to casuals, that had literally hundreds of raiders show up on raid nights. and i dont use casual in a derogatory manner, simply as a descriptive. i was in one of those guilds for most of classic~

mangler has lost more people to the wow classic and p99 releases, but it also could afford to lose all those people. im not sure id say it has more people now than phinny did at the same spot in progression, but for now, its still an extremely healthy server. wild guess having played on both servers, its probably about the same.

but mangler during classic and kunark was massive, its no contest as to which had more people on them for those time frames to me.
    Machen likes this.
  16. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Raid attendance in mangler hasn't felt lower than I would expect for the last couple of weeks before luclin releases (MoTM+Lady Nevederia is the worst thing I've experienced in this game, every, single, week.) Can't speak to how the casual population is doing because wow classic is eating a lot of my non raid gaming time.
    Tymeless likes this.
  17. Hdizzle Augur

"Was the Most Popular" sounds like which server had the largest peak Population?

I'd look at Fippy/Vulak and Rage/LJ as one server release because both servers were so full they necessitated a second server. (non truebox servers spaced out from each other *cough..)

Rage/LJ
    Phinny (cause instances)
    Fippy/Vulak
    Agnarr
    Mangler

every other TLP...

Obviously the above list does not reflect current population estimates; when I see the phrase "was the most" it makes me think past tense.
  18. Deadshade Augur

Having played on all of them but Mangler, if "popular" means the highest average and max population during Classic through Velious then without any doubts it was Fippy.
    And by far. Queues every day, even casual guilds with more than 300-400 players, most zones packed because no instances yet.Vulak had to be created to lower the charge.
    Second would be Ragefire.
    For the rest, I dont see a difference clear enough to be able to distinguish them for the third place.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

20. Elskidor Augur

Yeah, I'm going with Fippy. That was insane, but they should never have split them permanently. It was a mistake not to merge them back once population began to dwindle, but a mistake they again repeated for LJ/Rage. It is seldom that these jokers learn from their mistakes.Even now they could merge most of these TLPs but for whatever unknown reason won't.