Any zones that were partially developed, but scrapped?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bortage, Nov 9, 2019.

1. bortage spammin lifetaps

Like, if I remember correctly that zone just outside Shar Vahl (Shadeweaver's Thicket I think?) had a lava tunnel that went to an unused zone line for some dungeon, does anything exist from that? I think a screenshot reveal of old unused and unfinished content would be the coolest thing ever

I imagine a lot of those old unused zone lines never actually had any development time dedicated to them, like the ones in Jaggedpine or Stonebrunt, but I kind of feel like there might be some leftovers kicking around somewhere, especially since we did get Plane of War way after PoP
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There are likely many.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

A lot of PoR, only they weren't scrapped.
    Xanathol, Tiane, bbanz and 5 others like this.
  4. Alekzandre Augur

Haha, I remember exploring that area in Shadeweaver's Thicket and it indeed seems to have been planned to go somewhere. That lava hurt too!

I was exploring one day on my Beastlord in Netherbian Lair and found an odd area that looked like I could squeeze into, so I tried and nearly got stuck. I remembered I could shrink!! I shrunk myself and proceeded to wiggle in through the boulders into a small open area. In this area is a clickable Lever you can only see and interact with once you where inside the area. I tried to squeeze out through the boulder, but could not, I was stuck there. At this time in the game there was no easy way out, so I had to petition. After a short wait a GM showed up, looked around and said "wow, how did you get in here?" We talked for a bit, but they did not know anything about the area either. The GM took zapped me out side. This area eventually showed up on EQ Atlas as an "Unknown Zone".

Maybe these two areas would have connected somehow with the undeveloped zones, connecting into Acrylia Caverns and/or Echo Caverns possibly. It was fun to find places like this and wonder! I have always thought there was to be more to Acrylia Caverns, maybe this can be explored with the next expansion?
    Axxius likes this.
  5. Drewie Augur

The Shadeweaver to Umbral Key is still dropping in Umbral Plains, even though it was never really usable. You can still see the extremity underwater in the tunnels in Shadeweaver's Thicket, but even with the key on you or the cursor nothing happens.

There's an interesting comment on Zam about this key:
    Axxius, Alekzandre and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm fairly sure that the Shadeweaver's Thicket one was originally going to be a shortcut to one of the higher end zones that you would unlock later. But then a lot of the Devs at the time left, and a lot of those plans were lost in the process. SoL had a lot of things like that.
  7. Gynek Lorekeeper

There are NPCs in Shadowhaven that talk about a door there that leads straight to Netherbian, so that area was likely originally to go with that door.
  8. Hekaton Augur

shards landing had an unused portal with a gingerbread man hanging out in front of it

i also remember long ago one of the devs talking about an expansion set off permafrost but it was scrapped
  9. roth Augur

Obviously it would take someone from Verant/SoE/DBG to give a definitive answer above and beyond what has already been quoted above, but ...

There are a TON of old spurs and offshoots that look like they cold/should have been a zone line to somewhere throughout EQ. Whether those zone lines had been put in place for “some future use” or that use had already been planned and the zone not completed, we will probably never know ... unless one of teh aforementioned developers speaks up.
  10. Alekzandre Augur

ah good to know, I will have to find that NPC just for old times sake.
  11. Triconix Augur

Well, the most recent expansion has 3 dead end places which look like pretty clear entrances. Two in Stratos and one in Mearatas.

Jaggedpine forest has one near the Sirens iirc. I know there are a lot more, but I just can't remember them off the top of my head.
  12. Zippie Journeyman

I had heard back in the day that originally Luclin was supposed to have two raid factions to choose between like how Velious had the giants, dwarves, and dragons. The rumor I had heard was that there was VT and then the other one's end-game raid zone that never got made. Who knows what truth there is to that though.
    Alekzandre likes this.
  13. Firestorck New Member

I was thinking of just that zone as well. Also it seems that there are a few other 'blocked off' spots in NL as well. Ones that look like they could have led off into other underground zones. Especially if they had more expansions than that for the moon. These being in the fungoid area.
    I remember that in the trog area there is also a 'blocked' area that just beyond it is a smooth passage. Is that the spot you are referring to?

Alekzandre likes this.
  14. Zippie Journeyman

Imagine if the design would have spent the next decade releasing expansions for Luclin as we continued to explore it rather than what they did with Planes of Power, Gates of Discord, Omens of War, etc.

The game would be such a different place today if they would have kept it to just Norrath and Luclin and left out all of the alternate world/reality stuff. Planes of Power should never have happened. No one should be able to defeat their own Gods. That's a "this is the last expansions in the game" move.
    Xanathol and Alekzandre like this.
  15. Alekzandre Augur

Yes Trogs are in that area. It is shown in the EQatlas map of Netherbian now as " To Unknown Zone". There are other areas in NL, as you have said that dead end in an odd way.

https://eqatlas.ca/netherbianlairmap.html
  16. Alekzandre Augur

I think it would be great if they did an expansion that added zones to Luclin. I think that it does not even have to be Max level content. They could even do a zone or two in Luclin and elsewhere in the world. Expansions don't have to be concentrated in one area.
    Xanathol likes this.
  17. Shanarias Augur

Back in the day, eight days into a corpse retrieval in Shadeweavers or Shar Vahl, I was up at the top of a hill, and slipped into a place that did not look like it was even in the game. It looked more like a photograph of a room like a storage closet. I was up there because I had no good gear to keep me alive if I encountered anything that could kill me. :)
  18. stimpsonj New Member

Grimling war ring event/Raids. In AC? From what i remember they quit working on it and when everyone went to Vex Thal there was one guild RoV that did the grimling one and some raids were broken and items were unfinished.
  19. Zippie Journeyman

That was probably it because I remember reading about one guild that chose the path that was not finished. That was probably them.
  20. stimpsonj New Member

It is broken/turned off on all servers except Ak akabar eqmac server. It got you into Inner Acrylia which was the raid zone.