Suggestion: Morph old weapons into Ornaments!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vizier, Nov 4, 2019.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

To the circular file where they'll throw it.

Did they say they were hiring pseudo coders?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

Rather than making best in slot armor all TS based, how about we create important TS recipes like old weapon ornament recipes! Looks > stats

TBL completely trivialized a majority of raid loot. Spending hours on itemization to have rot because the 1-2 muhbis drops created items vastly superior.

TS armor should be an alternative, not a complete upgrade over items dropping in the same raids. Similar to old school cultural armor, they should fluctuate in superiority depending on the slot.

Now we are left with artificial ways of preventing a player from getting an entire gear set of TS armor, which will most likely be reverted like what happened in TBL after players whined.
    Sheex, Vumad, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

What I mean is, consider this item:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=108758

You put ANY 2HS into it, hit combine, and you have your weapon except it looks like BBB. I kinda doubt they created a new DB entry for every single 2HS looking that way. Question is, how is this implemented. One option, this is an invisible aug slot, and BBB look is actually an invisible aug in that slot. Then yeah, you need an extra DB entry for each look.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Could you code-wise speaking make an invisible arm that wields the actual invisible weapon, while the actual rendered arm wields the old weapon for looks?
  5. Scorrpio Augur

This is kinda how other games do it. You got extra 'cosmetic' equip slots for visible stuff. Items equipped in cosmetic slots provide no stats, just the look, overriding the stat equipment look.
  6. Vizier Augur

What I don't understand is the general lack of motivation from DBG on this issue. They have all of this old content that is just rotting on live servers. If you make old gear visible, instantly you have 20 years of content that just became relevant to modern players.

It should be a top priority for them because it adds so much replay value to that old content. We don't need these other tech improvements that are knock offs of other games (overseer), stop wasting resources on those things until you unlock weapon visuals.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is how EQ2 does it. Not having the technology doesn't mean it cannot be done. It means they haven't built what is needed, and what is needed is likely substantial. Meaning it needs resources. When examining priority regarding appearance vs content, most customers are going to choose content. This appearance tab could be something tacked on like they did for Hero's Forge. Which is what I would expect. I would gladly pay it.
  8. Vizier Augur

This is wrong. Appearance Tab IS content, tons of it. Basically every player will go back to old content to hunt down cool models. Also this tech would scale into the future as well.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

It creates competition against themselves. If everything is an ornamentation, then there is less motivation to buy DBC for augments.

That's why I was thinking an appearance upgrade like hero's forge would be the way to go. Basically an inventory screen where each tab is a key ring for each slot of visible equipment. The base appearance unlocks one key ring slot for every visible page, then each slot has and option to buy extra slots like character select. Microtransaction the shiz out of that.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I feel sorry for poor Inquisitor Seru the day when transmogging items becomes a reality.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Who are you trying to convince? I'm already on board with the idea. You don't need to argue against me. A Dev has already posted, and I am commenting on that - not arguing against the OP.

Enhance your calm. lol
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Drakah UI Designer

I have been thinking of this option for a while now, crazy we can't do it yet.
  13. Vizier Augur

In the OP I said it should take a marketplace item to convert it. I am all for DBG making their money on cosmetics, it keeps the game running.
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wow folks. You're still trying to think of ways they could maybe do this, because you're convinced it's such a great idea?

This has been mentioned so many times, you are nowhere near the first to think of or bring it up.

It's been said, 'absolutely no' many times. The second post in this thread is as categorical a no as you could receive from a dev.

They won't do it. You need not muse over the possibilities. I've given you the formula to calculate the probability.

Need some clarification?

I = Incentive (to do anything beyond what is already demanded by management and what the devs have tasked themselves with doing to achieve those goals.) The idea most often proposed is 'crowdsourced' money (insert number of dollars as an integer.) Or you could enter the number of votes on an online petition, or the number of 'reasons' why this change is a great idea.

dO = discrete Operations (required to accomplish this change. IE. lines of code, test phases, or 'rollout' to live operations, just to name a few.)

VS = Value and Stability added [0-2] (by making this change.) Expressed as the SUM of Value and Stability, each calculated on a 0-1 scale. 0 = nothing added, 0.5 = maybe a positive thing, 1 = for sure a positive thing.

P = Probability of change being made [%]

(I/dO)*(0+VS)=P

Having trouble understanding what the implication of the formula is in the real world?

Ornaments don't "sell well" enough for them to take the monumental effort involved to make old graphics universally available (even with a paid 'morphing' item). PERIOD.

You'll see them open up Player Studio again before they attempt anything even remotely like this.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This would be an item for every RESULT look. (in current code) and we are not going to make an item for every weapon look in the game.
    Additionally, to have something that would take "weapon X" and make a container/Augment from it, not only means I have to make an item for every possible look, I have to make a tradeksill recipe for every possible hand held item, to use new "container" and make one of the new items. There is nothing in code that "recognizes" the actor on the item during the combine. So... To do this with current technology It is a gargantuan amount of work and data, most of which uses global memory, which is already a precious resource, for something that in many cases has extreme limited use.

The OP request I responded to won't work with current code, and the ways to make it work with current code is nowhere near worth the cost to make it, INCLUDING the continued cost of extra memory use.

There is also the Opportunity Cost. What part of the next expansion would be cut for this? The design work is staggering if we use current technology, so... It would replace something else that will probably make us more money.

Is the opportunity cost of the Coders say, NOT working on server performance, worth the code time to make us a system that would not require the massive design effort? IMO no, but perhaps there are stronger opinions otherwise.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Just swing your guide event chicken drumstick like the rest of us.
    Sheex and eqgamer like this.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

"current code...current code...current technology". Is something on the horizon for EQ's game engine or am I reading too much into this?
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

Holly would kill him if he told you that they are working on a new engine :). I read it more innocently, but I did notice the formulation; just an accidental choice of words...
  19. Riou EQResource

Prob reading too much into it, though

Can windows 10 even run any DirectX's below 9? eventually it's gonna drop support for it right? then EQ is going to have to upgrade or die
  20. Vizier Augur

OK ok. FINE. We aren't getting this feature in EQ for old content. I guess we just have to trust DBG to know what is the best use of their resources. It's still pretty disappointing because a LOT of people would spend a LOT of time (and presumably money) customizing their appearance.

With that said, I'm still not sure why you can't add the ornament tag to items GOING FORWARD! You don't have to back date all those items I get that would be a lot of work, but what is the excuse for not making new items with the ornament tag??