House of Thule Collector's edition Revival. Could we have RoF and VoA too?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zipe, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If Daybreak decides to release all past Collector's Editions, the player base should actually be more worried that the move is a last-ditch cash grab (dangerous sign of Daybreak or the game in dire financial straits).
  2. Scruff Elder

so the house of thule bundle thing, you cannot even claim the bags or the dumb little sword ornament unless you are playing on an House of Thule+ server expansion-wise. even the goofy little gnoll is locked to that expansion. oops

maybe i'm bad at reading between the lines but it'd be nice to have a little more aggressive clarification on these things. imagine all the burgers i could have bought instead..........
    Raptorjesus5 and Xanathol like this.
  3. Scruff Elder

it seems like outright predatory business practice to ever display this as purchasable on any server that isn't in the house of thule expansion or even close to it, but i'm gonna assume it's just an oversight that ends up eating people's burger money and not an intentionally poorly described boondoggle waiting to happen
  4. Lidwen Elf Stalker Journeyman

Why is Giving the Players Collectors Digital items a issue? I mean Most of them Are cosmetic only at this Point and only current Expansion ones are worthwhile gameplay wise. for someone on live. Saturation?? LOL its digital. your nuts benito. It won;t be as Cool? Seriously? We are not playing fortnite... Just let dbg take our money.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Numiko Augur

Benito's arguments are like saying Marcia Attamilgad ruined the game by saturating the servers with rare items that no longer drop .... just didn't happen.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Are people just skimming my posts or simply avoiding addressing the marketing concerns? I am arguing for a balanced approach with 1-2 Collector Editions' per year to prevent "window shopping" (which will affect current Collector/Premium Edition sales) and maintain the scarcity effect. It's as if people think I am arguing for an outright ban.

Edit: I mention Fortnite and other games that re-issue "limited edition" bundles as cautionary tales. I suspect players who see these items re-issued feel like those game developers do not keep their word or are desperate/greedy. (Bob spent his holiday money to buy x skins because he thought x was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but the game developer offered it again a few months later. Bob could have spent his holiday money at a venue or game with a real once-in-a-lifetime sale. Bob will be less inclined to feel the immediate need to purchase again since the game developer will likely offer the skins in the future).
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Apples and oranges. Marcia uses in-game currency. Collector Editions' uses real life money and affects Daybreak's bottom line. How they handle the situation will determine revenues over the long term. I am merely arguing for a balanced approach with 1-2 Collector Editions per year (not an outright ban) to prevent "window shopping" (cannibalizing current CE/PE sales) and maintain the scarcity effect.

Side note: Who uses Marcia now? How did the Marcia experiment work out? It probably hurt those rare items in the long term. In the back of people's minds, people think you can always get 'Mask of Tinkering' or 'Firestorm Cape' off of Marcia - nothing special. I find my detractors full of hyperbole - of course it wouldn't "ruin the game" but it would ultimately hurt the demand for those items.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Benito, I think you should climb down off your big white marketing hero horse, you aren't the saviour of EverQuest, let the people actually running the game say yay or nay as I am sure they have a better handle on the finances than either of us. These players are posting to say what they would like & what they would spend their hard earned money on, you're waging a battle nobody needs you to, least of all DayBreak, I read your arguments, I understand your logic, but these are pixels & old pixels being recycled at that, they are about as tangible as 12 week old farts.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Not skimming, skipping. ;)
    Zippie and Benito like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Amen
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There a multiple sides to their decision-making process. Dreamweaver solicited everyone's opinion. I am sharing my reasoned opinion - dangers of window shopping, scarcity, and order. To say "get off your high horse" is usually a retort to silence opposition. You're right - Dreamweaver, the devs, or any representative can listen (to your argument, to my argument) and make their own decision.

Please keep this discussion civil. Feel free to refute my arguments other than "shut up and put up because....pixels...."
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well, I did not see any references to support your arguments, no comparative data or similar situations where the impacts for or against are supported, so at this point without any hard evidence to back up your assertions all you are doing is waffling & trying to look professional while doing it, in effect stating opinions as if they were facts. Hence the put up or shut up.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Easy. One example:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/using-scarcity-urgency-increase-sales
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Many already just purchase the basic expansion and then upgrade a month before the next expansion while the expansion is half price.

As long as the re-released price is not half the price of the original I don't see an issue.

The expansions we are talking about are 5 years plus. If I wanted an item to use now, I certainly wouldn't want to wait 5 years for it. 9 in the case of House of Thule items.
    Skuz and Zippie like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I don't think the age of the expansion matters in this case. Yes, some items might be outdated teleports (though still useful). However, the bulk of the items (and demand) comes from very unique illusions, mercenaries, familiars, ornaments, and other cosmetics which still hold great value. (I mean, if it didn't hold value, there would be the kind of clamoring we see in this thread).

Respectfully, I am not arguing against releasing past Collector Editions entirely. I am arguing for a moderate approach at 1-2 Collector Edition's per year (and that doesn't mean there won't be a different set of 1-2 CE the following year).

This article is quite convincing:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/using-scarcity-urgency-increase-sales
  16. Machen New Member

You've misunderstood the clamoring in this thread. The TLP players want the functional items that actually impact gameplay. The ports, etc (and houses, as those are functional in additon to cosmetic--more space, more slots etc) are what matter most to us. Some may also want the illusions and cosmetic stuff, but the big draw is the stuff that actually does something.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If teleports were the only demand, why was it not clarified immediately? Instead of multiple posts regarding Collector Editions, anyone could have said "I just want Mark of Brell and no other item." If that were the case, there probably would be no debate as the scope of disagreement would have been very narrow. It may be a matter of your personal opinion rather than a characterization of the others who probably want the other items. You can purchase houses in-game. Otherwise, my arguments stand in regards to limiting to 1-2 Collector Editions per year to prevent "window shopping" and maintain scarcity.
  18. Machen New Member

You are posting in the TLP forum, not the veteran forum. Understand that the mindset is different from what you are probably used to.

As to the houses, I was not aware you can purchase the collector's edition houses in game on the TLP's. Have not seen the bixie hive or the tree house or the boat for sale on the store. Those are functionally different than what is available in game.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yinla and Numiko are players who also post in the Veteran’s Lounge. I suspect other players here also play on Live. Will you tell them that they have a different mindset and maybe their position (in favor of Collector’s Edition) may not speak for TLP?

How are the Collector Edition’s houses functionally different than other in-game homes (other than the free rent)? You can store items in standard houses. Please enlighten me.

I think you are trying to reframe the debate to minimize the nuances of my marketing stance.
  20. Machen New Member

Don't be absurd.

Look through the thread at the specific items mentioned by TLP players.

Bags.

Port clicks.

Mounts. (Those are functional for us more than cosmetic.)

Houses.

The illusions aren't even brought up once in this thread except by live players.