Torment of Velious Raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dovhesi, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Natal Augur

That may be your opinion, probably even the opinion of most top tier raiders, but there is definitely a sense of elitism among at least some, you can tell that from the contempt a lot of them express when talking about the mid tier guilds.

As for higher tier raids being harder....that is not always true. Historically there are usually some bottleneck raids early on in the progression, with higher end raids often being loot pinatas. If you can't get past one of those bottleneck raids because you are lacking in some aspect it does a check on, then you can't do those raids further down the sequence which don't have that check associated with them. For example, in EoK Prince was by far the easiest raid, but it is tier 2. Likewise in RoS Crypt Robbers is the second easiest raid in the expansion, but it is also tier 2.
  2. Vizier Augur

Human nature is what it is. Top tier guilds lording their uber skillz and gear over lower tier guilds is a core gameplay loop in EQ. Those on the bottom strive to become on the top. Those on the top eventually get bored and reroll / take breaks, leaving openings for some of the mid tier guild players to claw their way up.

Honestly that is why I originally stated we should have BOTH flagging and time locks in place. That way the "elites" can still lord it over the lesser casual scumbags (like me). I think Elite > Low tier guild loop I described is actually healthy for the game overall.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

And they laughed, and laughed.

Peanut gallery commentary aside, top guilds can do any number of things to slow things down. That's not in their nature. They aim for the top of heap because that's who they are. That's why they're "top end guilds". Your post is little more than an empty gesture.
  4. Venau Augur

Havent played in a while but wanted to say I endorse this change. Well done EQ!
  5. Szilent Augur

I would like there to still be some progression. If that doesn't involve repetition, that's super duper fine by me, but some.

One tier-clear flagging, one-loot back flagging -- now that I think of it, Omens of War style, and Planes of Power, and House of Thule. Tier 1 was MPG Raids / Elemental gods / etc, where one win on each trial/god flagged that character for Tier 2 raids (Citadel of Anguish/Plane of Time/on up). Once the next tier was open, each win provided one complete back flag to one new participant, so that the new guy would no longer burden the 85/15 guest system.

I think what appeals to me is the idea of playing through an expansion, at least the first time. And then collecting the best loot from whichever encounter is beatable, after that :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

I always thought every player should have to do group progression up to the raid instead of it just being the one person requesting it. Im sure that would not be a popular suggestion though.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

There are not multiple tiers of raid gear, just raids.. they split the armor up amongst all of the raids. So to get full sets for everyone, you have to farm all of the raids, normally. (now Muhbis stuff kinda mixed that up, but That became T2 raid gear, but dropped so slowly in the beginning that farming all raids was necessary to get people into raid gear while they waited on Muhbi.. which also dropped from all raids.)

amongst is a word stupid spell check! I am not changing it!
  8. Zippie Journeyman

I would think that a guild doing the first tier of raids in an expansion over and over to upgrade their members' gear in order to beat the next tier's raids would fit the bill of the player going through some progression.

Having a flag/key system is less about progression and more about blocking content than having the progression be based on the players progressing through gear upgrades to be able to beat the next level of raid content.

To me, having the raid content not being locked behind a flagging/keying system, but rather just being an order of difficulty higher requiring the farming of the previous raid tier's content, is more of an organic living-breathing world experience than just implementing invisible walls that only let you through when you kill xyz mob.

I could be wrong, but this just feels more to me like the designers taking the game back to the RPG-based design that we all preferred back in the day and further away from the treadmill-game design that MMORPGs have appeared to become over the last decade.
    Belexes and eqgamer like this.