House of Thule Collector's edition Revival. Could we have RoF and VoA too?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zipe, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Machen New Member

Mark of Brell etc is a great example. There is no reason these shouldn't be available to TLP players on the expansion they are on. And no reason to force TLP players to pick only one expansion out of four to get these sorts of items. The houses are another example. If people are willing to pay for them, there should be a means to buy them and use them.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

By releasing only 1-2 Collector Editions a year, TLP players have an incentive to return in the future (re-sub) and visit current and future TLP servers. If TLP players "have everything", they will move on.

You can't burn out the playerbase in transactions. Sony Online Entertainment did that experiment (saturation of Marketplace items) in Free Realms. That game failed.

Ngreth himself said past Marketplace requests have sold horribly. We can infer that is partly due to saturation. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/dbg-store-item-request.258235/#post-3802575

In my previous posts, I allude to the moral hazard of past Collector Edition availability as undermining future Collector/Premium edition upgrades and sales.
  3. Machen New Member

I'm not saying they should release every collector's edition all at once to everyone.

TLP players should have an option to purchasse the collector's edition for the current expansion their server is on. That is all.

It's not going to reduce live collector's edition sales to know that six years from now those collector's editions will once again be for sale on some future TLP.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

From what I understand, the devs can't operate a separate TLP code (Market included) apart from Live. If Collector Editions go on sale for a certain TLP server, it will go on sale for the entire game (other TLPs and Live). I might be wrong but it will not be feasible to limit Collector Edition bundles to a particular TLP server - much less, within that unlocked era for that specific TLP. (If they could, it would likely take an unreasonable amount of dev time).

Six years is a bit of hyperbole. Miragul, Phinny, and Selos will catch up to Live servers in roughly <30 months.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ver-faq-discussion.260186/page-2#post-3831931

Releasing a Collector Edition for each unlock is probably unfeasible to begin with (dev and coding time). In truth, I are looking at my proposal at 1-2 Collector Edition's per year as an appropriate amount of dev time and not to interfere with Live servers.
  5. Machen New Member

This is absolutely not true. They have the ability to control what items are available on the marketplace on a server by server basis, or the TLP's would have everything that live has.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The problem is the items are not granted through the Marketplace but through the website. Can you give me a corollary of a bundle limited to TLP?

And even with the ability to distinguish between TLP/Live and TLP servers, is it worth dev time prepping the bundles and programming those limits?

Edit: Furthermore, wouldn't a Live player just hop onto a specific TLP Server so that he/she can claim it on Live? Devs would need to program a code to block claims on other servers.
  7. Machen New Member

Yes. They have sold tlp-specific bag bundles on the website in the past.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I believe those bag bundles were available to Live servers as well. But it was 16-slot so it wasn't very popular (not worth the price for Live).

Additionally, even if devs could restrict Collector Edition sales to certain TLPs, wouldn't a Live server player just hop onto that particular TLP to purchase then hop back to Live to /claim? Devs would need to build a code to block /claims on Live. It would open a can of worms. It seems more feasible and reasonable to run 1-2 Collector Editions for everyone rather than putting limits for 5+ Collector Editions....
  9. Machen New Member

And why would that be a problem for six or seven year old collectors editions?

I can see why it would be an issue when TLP's get close to live, but... If they were to put up VoA, RoF, CoTF collectors editions now, it's not going to do anything to current live collector's edition sales.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Those editions include unique illusions, mercenaries, ornaments, and other cosmetics. It's not merely limited to Mark of Brell (as the proponents wisely chose as an example). If folks feel like their Collector and Premium Editions will be available in 2 years (Miragul unlocks ToV in 28 months), people will window shop for the expansion goodies that they prefer. I will forego ToV Collector Edition because I want to wait and see what the next expansion's goodies include, or I will forgo ToV Collector Edition because I thought TBL Collector Edition was better. Part of the marketing principle applied here is scarcity which forces people to buy now instead of window shop.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Of course, to avoid the problem of undermining scarcity, Daybreak could sell 5 Collector Editions at quite a high price to penalize late buyers. Daybreak could list past Collector Editions for $250 or $300. Instead of 1-2 Collector Editions price at $40, they could put all past Collector Editions for $$$.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If they are only in the marketplace for a limited time there won't be the saturation.

Many on live have been asking for ways of getting old collector items for years, illusions, mounts, etc that they have claimed on old mains and would like on their new ones. As long as players are making new chars there will always be a call for old items, be it from ingame items or the market place.

I love the jester model and would love it for my pet on Miragul, I've just completed the quest to get it as illusion for myself. Sadly I cannot remember the last time it was available.

I'd prefer to see more items and collect editions in the marketplace but for a shorter length of time. I think the last set of illusions were only in for 2 - 4 weeks. They don't have to do the recent expansions.
  13. Catashe Augur

What I think? Put the rest of them on the marketplace! Take my money!
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Zippie Journeyman

This is one of the best ideas DBG has put in place so far. Honestly. Great idea!

Maybe an idea here to keep these collections special would be to rotate them in and out of the store.

Example:
    • Halloween sale - House of Thule collector's pack
    • Christmas sale - Torment of Velious collector's pack
    • 4th of July - The Burning Lands collector's pack
    • etc
    I know I would definitely partake in some of these for sure.
  15. Demetri - Phin New Member

Heads up for those getting an "You already own this" error - it's now rectified for me, the error from previously owning Standard edition didn't stop me anymore last night.

So it appears like they fixed the issue.
  16. Zippie Journeyman

Actually, items can not be claimed on a TLP server for which that individual item is not allowed for the current expansion that TLP server is on.

For instance, when I load up my oldest EQ account, and login to the Mangler server, I see all of my claimable items from the past two decades in the /claim window, but they are almost all grayed out. You can not claim them on that server until that server gets to the expansion that allows that item to be claimed.

So, buying a collector's edition pack would add those items to your claimable list of items, but you would not be able to actually /claim them on servers that are not at the expansion that allows them.

At the least, people can expect to be able to /claim the bags from each of the collector's packs, but that's about it until their server gets much further on in open expansions.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

My argument is even not so much about opening Collector Edition's for a specific TLP server only. Even if they limited the items to only be claimed on a specific TLP and not other TLPs or Live, it would open a can of worms because players will claim "I purchased it but didn't know the restrictions." Due to the restrictions, players will want a refund and Daybreak rarely - if ever - offer refunds...

Offering multiple Collector Edition's would violate the way players hold their Collector/Premium Editions special (scarce). I don't mind 1-2 Collector Edition's offered each year but a few players are basically suggesting putting the whole farm up.

I will re-quote my previous argument on why we shouldn't offer more than 1-2 Collector Editions per year:

18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

While, I too, appreciate access to no longer attainable items, I've seen "limited edition" bundles get re-issued on EQ2, Planetside 2, Fortnite, and other games. For instance, Planetside 2 offers all previous anniversary bundles each weekend in December. From my experience, they greatly lose their luster and appeal when re-issued. There is something "cool" about owning collector items from a particular era that was only offered in that era. It is as if Daybreak is honoring their word that, unless you buy this now, you won't ever see it again. It's like the game itself has periods of history because of their Collector Edition items (like event items) which have their fates' forever sealed.

From a marketing standpoint, if Daybreak offers more than 1-2 Collector Edition's per year, there is a real hazard that people will "window shop" for an expansion. People will forgo the latest expansion's CE/PE because they will wait and see what the next expansion's goodies are or decide that an older expansion's offerings are better. (Some will argue that these Collector Edition's are outdated based on teleports but they also offer very unique illusions, mounts, mercenaries, ornaments, and other cosmetics).

Edit: If they do decide to offer multiple Collector Editions in a year, they can set a higher price point at $249 to penalize late buyers and appeal to the hardcore collector base. In this way, the current expansion's CE/PE is still encouraged at a lower price point.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Benito, how does a TLP player having the chance to own something on a TLP server negatively affect you or anyone else for that matter in any way whatsoever? Because that's what appears to be the main thrust of your objections from what I can see, either that or you are just sour, especially when you use language like "penalize" players for buying late..

What's the root cause of this? Somebody hurt you?
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I don't think you've understood the marketing angle of my responses. At this point, you're resorting to personal attacks (ad hominem) because my arguments - from a marketing perspective - ring true.

It doesn't affect me personally or otherwise. It does, however, affect the health (financial stability) of the game. First, the items were designed to be Collector/Limited edition items and there's no obligation to offer it to TLP and Live servers in the present. Second, if you've read my arguments above, re-issuing the Collector Editions (at least in high amounts) will affect sales of current Collector/Premium editions because of the "window shopping" effect. Additionally, carte blanche re-issuing of CEs will also hurt the "special" feeling of the items (scarcity heuristic). Ultimately, if I were illogical and truly "sour", I'd simply argue against any and all release of past Collector Editions. I am arguing for a moderate, balance approach with 1-2 Collector Editions released per year as not to detract from current CE/PE sales as well as maintain the scarcity effect.