Mangler - Questions about Luclin Zones & Features

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Korzu111, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Korzu111 Elder

Good Afternoon All,

While I’ve played a couple TLPs now, I’ve usually played Classic or Kunark. This time around I’m in it for the long haul. I haven’t played in Luclin since the early 2000s, and the Internet has a mixed bag of information. I thought that it’d be helpful to me, and hopefully others too, to post a thread and try to consolidate information about Luclin.

I currently 2-box a Paladin and a Druid, so some of these questions will be slanted to that. My brother has a Shaman and a Monk, and I play with him somewhat often (8-9 hours a week). So some of this will also be small-group questions.

Mounts:

What are the benefits to having a mount? Ive seen some stuff about +stats, or being able to meditate while running, but I haven’t seen anything definite. I have two boxes, so I assume that I would need a similarly speeded mount on each character.

How good is the Paladin AA mount?
    What mount would I get my Druid to adequately match the Pally’s mount?
    Is it really worth getting the mount if one of my boxes is a Druid?
    If my brother can’t afford mounts on his characters, should I still get them for mine?

Quests:

What are some good quests in Luclin that don’t require a raid? I know of these:

Vampire Troubles:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=1582

Earring of the Solstice:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2420

But otherwise I am unfamiliar with any other quest for Luclin.

Zones:

Are there any Luclin zones that are set to a difficulty that’ll require us to have a bunch of AAs? Umbrella Plains, the Deep, Maiden’s Eye, Grieg’s End?

We currently really enjoy Old Sebilis. We can handle any camp and can slaughter everything fairly efficiently in it. We work well together and have a good balance. I was kind of disappointed with the grouping zones in Velious. Is there a zone that’ll replace Old Sebilis for us?

Gear:

I know a lot of the high-end gear shifts to being no-trade, but what still-tradeable gear will be really good for Pally or Monk? Do Monks get a cultural armor (the real good ones)? Is it feasible to buy some of that cultural armor or is it priced very high? Is there a good item that’ll be cheap as chips a couple weeks in (i.e. Coldain gloves/boots were like 8kpp the first month and are now like 2-3kpp and everywhere)? Are there any godly Velious items that’ll nose dive (Flayed Barb Legs)?

Thanks Everyone!
  2. Xanathol Augur

Mounts help you move around faster and meditate while sitting still on the mount (not running). Later in game mounts / DBG store mounts come with stat buffs too.

Knight mounts are the fastest in the game.

You can buy a cheap mount for your druid but to keep up with the Pally, you need to kill and loot one from either Seru or Emp Ssra.

Luclin group content is mostly bleh but the Loyalist Shield of Honor is a good one (fits the back slot too).
  3. Dahaman Augur

The shawl quest in Velious gets the 8th shawl with Luclin. That will be nice for the paladin, druid, and shaman for many expansions to come. You can finish it with a group of 4, but gear and AA up for it.

Grieg's End will be a great XP zone for either your duo or quad.
  4. Korzu111 Elder

Thank you guys for the feedback.

Doesn't really sound to me to be too important to get a mount then. I spend probably 7% of my time traveling in the game and 93% either trading or camping a dungeon, so the appeal to throw down a bunch of platinum on a lootbox mount for the Druid to keep up with the Pally, especially when my brother's characters would be left in the dust, just for that seems like a poor investment vs. gear.

Grieg's end sounds like a nice place, I'll have to check it out.

My brother has been doing the shawl on his Shaman, but I haven't done any of it for my characters. My druid's Coldain faction (and Dain) is pretty shot, and I already got him a ODS and Choker of the Wretched to head into Luclin with. For the Pally, the shoulders have pretty low AC which seems like it'd matter a ton come PoP and tanking harder mobs in there. Mana hasn't been an issue for the Pally yet (Crown of Narandi + Protection of the Glades), and with the Earring of the Solstice + AAs coming, I think he'll be good without it. I am still tempted to try it on the Druid though.

Are there any good Undead zones in Luclin for when my Pally gets Slay Undead? Maiden's Eye looks promising, but are Vampires even classified as Undead or their own race?
  5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

SSRA basement for undead. Griegs is an outdoor zone, your gonna want a mount of some kind for those long grinds, to keep the druids mana regening.
  6. Dahaman Augur

It's actually the best thing you can get the druid (and the shaman) for the next few expansions.

Think of it this way. The mount is in the ballpark of +20 mana regen for the druid when fighting in an outdoor setting and only gets better with more levels. It's an "item" that won't become obsolete for many expansions.

The matter that it also helps with healing -> sitting aggro? Gravy!
  7. Korzu111 Elder

Do I need a key for SSRA?

Do the casters stay mounted and meditating while they’re casting?
  8. Dahaman Augur

Yes and Yes.

While on a mount, the caster is considered meditating (getting the benefit of the meditation skill) when they are not moving and have attack off.