Collection of knowledge

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Updawg, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Updawg New Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I personally will be giving this new Miragul server a try, but have never progressed that far before. I quit playing eq originally around the time of WoW release and quit mangler about the time of WoW classic release!

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who is going to be starting at level 85 for the first time ever, so I hoped that some of the more experienced players may share some information in this thread.

I looked over numerous heroic guides for each class but it's a lot of information. Maybe everyone can comment on what classes will be the most forgiving when starting out at 85, and what should be the first few things a new player should do.

If possible give some example, rather than just saying "gear up", maybe include where a fresh level 85 wants to go to group and gear up. Thank you for information you add.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Getting start on Miragul, this is my list for when I start a new char

/autoskill - pick the skills available (melee)
    /assist off
    /log on
    /announcing on
    Set up any auto joins for channels
    copy my UI over + set up hot keys
    Disable control d for disbanding group
    Disable auto duck
    turn off tell windows
    seperate tabs
    Turn off blinking windows
    Make sure consents are turned on
    Find someone from guild and get guilded
    Head to Plane of Knowledge and get some plat!
    Put a single point in each tradeskill
    Head to Freeport and pick up all the tradeskill quests for trophies

For a more indepth look at each class take a look here
    http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/heroic-characters/
    Towards the bottom there is links for each class.

Good luck and happy adventuring. :)
  3. yober Elder

Why would you do that to yourself? and it's /announce.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

LOL I missed that when my brain was running faster than I could type.
  5. Aargile New Member

Good tread, I'm also thinking of giving Miragul a shot but I've not played EQ past TSS. I'm kind of looking forward to mercs and seeing which dou combo works best for me.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

7. Updawg New Member

Awesome info, I somehow missed that in my research and it spells out exactly what needs done. Thank you.

Does anyone have an info on classes? I know it's a highly subjective topic, but are there any classes to avoid? Maybe classes that aren't as needed in groups or have a really high skill level at 85?

I imagine that most classes should have the kinks worked out by now, but you never know.
  8. Machen New Member

Necro on both accounts. Though they do improve later on in progression.
  9. VandilIzer Augur

I have to agree with Machen, unless you are super into them, skip necro, until they get the DoT revamp they are a giant pain to play at a high level.
  10. Updawg New Member

Awesome, thank both of you for the info. Any classes you would recommend us "new" to 85 players should avoid just because of task overload? I know in earlier level caps enchanters have a lot going on in groups since they're mezzing, managing a charmed pet and charm breaks, and buffing. Are they still like this and do any other classes suffer from this as well.

Also, do mercenaries make any classes harder to find groups? I imagine most people will say they would rather have, for example, a real wizard than a mercenary one just because they should perform better and they can keep you company, but is this actually the case?
  11. Gana Augur

IIRC, you need to have at least 50 in the skill to get these quests. You may want to head to Abysmal Sea and get those freebies to 64 first. =)

I would just do the skills in PoK.
    • Grab water and fishing grubs (brewing 100+)
    • bat wings and fresh fish (baking 100)
    • mandrake roots (tailoring 60+)
    • sheet of metal and molds (and water) for banded (smithing 100+)
    • clay and water and pattern (small bowls) (pottery 100+)
    • malachite and electrum bars (jewelcraft 70+)
    • arrows (fletching 200+)
    • Make Skinspike VI potions (max Vendor only)...people will consume like candy
    I would do the ones that need to be sold/done at a fixed station, then carry what I can drop/make on the move. Skill up to 90s before you get the tasks but get them BEFORE you hit 100. Make a quick pass to Blackburrow to see if I can get a brew barrel...and then move to HoH/CoD to farm TS supplies (they drop Pristine/Fine level). Be the first to make the templates to make the HoT armor as well as the TS bags.
    • Start working on my SK/SHM/CLE/BRD/BER/ROG 1.5s because reasons.
    • Level in The Well (drops T2 armor, lots of easy pulls, kill quests, 3 named that pop commonly)
    • do progression/quests (HoT courtyard kills quests)
    • gather/sell TS supplies
    • Get AC augs that tank is missing (if any - Mooto drops a nice one)
    • Kill Kunark Dragons
    • Buy/Use rogue poison (that stuff is OPAF)
    Apart from that, just have fun, play well with others and enjoy the camaraderie of the early days of the server. Offer FREE TAs to your group tasks. Charging for them is dicktastic.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. VandilIzer Augur

Enchanters, tanks, healers are all high pay attention classes. Obviously everyone wants everyone to pay attention in a group all the time but reality is if a DPS AFK's for 10 minutes people may not even notice, if the tank, healer or CC/Puller AFK... everyone knows. So take that as you will.

Every class at this stage has some level of learning curve, even pure melee have buttons to mash, there are certainly some classes that will take people longer to learn than others however there is a ton of information out there in googleland and on EQ forums ect. Also EQ generally has a very helpful community overall as long as you ignore the trolls.

Not really, merc healers are probably the most used and they frankly pale in comparison to a real healer. You have to be much tighter on pulls or be overgeared for your content to use a merc healer at the same level of effectiveness as a real healer (real healers can adapt to situations, spam heal in prep for bad rounds on named and have buttons to help you survive ect, mercs are just going to try to heal you and possibly get you killed because they don't adapt to anything.)

DPS mercs do mediocre DPS, not terrible if you dont have someone else, but a real person of the appropriate level and ok gear will do better.

Tank mercs are ok but you will always want a real tank over a merc.

There will be some people who say healers get less groups because of mercs, but I tend to disagree. The people who use healer mercs exclusively as their healers do it because they are at work and mostly AFK farming a gear piece, aug, or EXP once every 15 minutes or are just anti social and want to go off and do their own thing. They weren't going to bring you along anyway. Those people tend to 3 box and 1 box is a healer already, the mercs just made their life easier by giving them 3 more bots. I don't know anyone who in a normal group doesn't want a real healer over a crappy merc, as a tank I feel my chances of dying a ton dramatically increase if I have just a merc healer.

The number ONE thing I can suggest, is be willing to make your own group, with mercs there is no "well we don't have the right classes", so those people complaining about being LFG for hours while 2 other people are also LFG and all 3 are unwilling to put a group together, pop 3 mercs and go get XP or missions or whatever done are the ones with the issues, not the people using boxes / mercs.
  13. Jontrann Augur

If i was ever going to play on Miragul (which i'm not) sk epic 1.5 / 2.0 and anguish bp would be #1 priority.

If i was a mage i would rush VT Mage Gloves the anguish BP.
  14. Updawg New Member

All very useful information and well put. This really helps me out so thank you.

Last question I guess I have is are all healers (cleric, druid, shaman, and maybe paladin) able to heal group content fairly well? I know in early expansions it's pretty much cleric only with others off healing or being used only if a cleric isn't available. I hope this has changed.
  15. VandilIzer Augur

It has. Generally speaking all 3 priest types do fine in group content. This depends somewhat on gear level for both the healer and the tank and which content level you are doing to some extent, but that can be the case for all 3 priests.
  16. leessa New Member

Both Shaman and Druids now have the ability to heal in most group situations.

They dont have the group saves and their cast times for heals are atrocious, but then both druid and shaman offer a variety of things a cleric doesnt.
  17. Starr Elder

I'm not sure what you mean with group saves, but shamans have 2 lines that I would call group saves. Intervention and soothsayer lines I think they are called. Long recast on them though and maybe not as good as the clerics have, but they are really nice.