TLP - Finding a home.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Silver-Crow, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Delphwind Augur

This.

I had a great time raiding on Phinny, and progressed further that I had any other time. Good times and good people on Phinny!
  2. That0neguy Augur

If the population is so stable and great why are you so thirty for new blood?
    Xanathol and Farkle like this.
  3. Kujoe Lorekeeper

It seems they can adjust how AA auto-grant works with respect to the "current" expansion and auto-grant expansion for a given server. With the new server coming around, they are giving (i believe) all AA's up to the release expansion (HoT) auto-granted, compared to the standard 3/4 (?) expansion gap?

Perhaps a change to adjust the auto-grant gap would be a much better fix to the huge undertaking that is AA grinding when individuals try to catch up to existing servers. Instead of trying to boost experience per kill to some ridiculous level, make auto-grant only 1 or 2 expansions behind whatever is "current" for the server. So, instead of a returning player having to grind 2-3000 AA for 3/4 expansions worth of AA's to catch up, they just need to do that grind for 1/2 expansions. AA auto-grant was initially introduced for this very purpose. So, perhaps now is the time to update it to better reflect and normalize the undertaking that the AA grind is when looking to join an existing TLP or live server.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Heroic chars have always come with AAs upto House of Thule, they also come with a few other bonuses, DON AAs upto and including 4, so all you need is Vish to finish them, all MPG trials a few other bits and pieces including a mount.

They haven't altered how the AA auto grant work, just these chars have been programmed to have more then the auto grant....that said I don't think they come with spell casting subtlty and tradeskill AAs (not 100% sure on that though)
  5. Farkle New Member

Right now, there are no Phinny guilds recruiting in the /lfguild tool in game, nor do they have any recent posts in the guild recruitment section of this forums. That speaks volumes.

Clearly the four remaining raid guilds don't see a problem with a small, loyal population and are happy with what they've got. They are communities unto themselves, fully entrenched in their cliques and social circles, having no real incentive to assist the rare spawn who starts a character there without knowing a soul. As others have mentioned, many if not most long time Phinny players are understandably jaded towards new blood because they have no way of ascertaining if they're in it for the long haul. And who can blame them? Why would they waste time on a fresh-out-of-the-mines player who may or (more likely) may not stick around for a few expansions, when they can simply continue to roll with boxes or consolidate guilds in order to maintain viable raid forces?

I hope for the server's sake that there are enough players left on Phinny that are willing to give new folks a fighting chance,. For them I would say this: make yourselves known. Hang out in Crescent Reach and Blightfire Moors, buffing every newbie in sight. Tag them in your guilds with a friends and family rank. Help them with their epics, J5 mercs, progression, levels, rotting gear, anything. Show a vested interest in the few up and comers that may pass through. Give them a reason to stay and engage with the community. You and they might be pleasantly surprised.
  6. Farkle New Member

It's too late to edit my previous post, but I did see that the OP bumped RG3's recruitment post. I stand corrected on the relevant portion of my first paragraph.

I do hope that players on Phinny prove to new and returning players there that its community is as strong and helpful as the OP and others says it is.
  7. Machen New Member

DIdn't you say you play on live? Level 1-65 takes like 5 hours...
  8. Machen New Member

A lot of servers never use that. It doesn't say anything at all. During Phinny's heyday when there were 25+ guilds raiding stuff, none of them used lfguild either.
  9. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

Thanks for letting us know! This must of been reset at a certain point as I do recall all or most of the guilds having advertisements going at one point. I agree with many of your points there, and I'm sure any guild here would be happy to help any new inbound player on the server. The leaders and officers in the remaining guilds are all fantastic people. I've lead OGC here since inception. Anyone returning, or thinking about returning should certainly reach out and chat, I'm happy to direct anyone towards their best fit on the server. I've always been of the mindset that most success derives from having good fun in this game many of us grew up and spent an incredible amount of time on over the years, I certainly invite anyone to enjoy that as little or as much as they want on Phinigel as we close in on live.

Any late stage TLP will always need new blood in one form or another -- these servers simply can't recruit from anywhere else such as a live server, so you'll constantly have to have attrition to contend with as you get closer to live, especially as you're closing in on one of the few guilds remaining. This happens naturally over time and as new TLPs come out -- you can't stop it, but you can mitigate it with good long term strategies.

I've got a strong outlook for the server, no other server has been as healthy as we have in their respective eras from my experience with TLPs since 11. We're going to keep Phinigel great, folks!
    Skuz and Farkle like this.
  10. Farkle New Member

Honest question, for I genuinely don't know. Did /lfguild work on older TLPs before their Guild Lobbies opened? I thought it was tied to the presence of the clickable boards back then, although clearly that's not the case now since Mangler has /lfguild already. If it was available in the early expansions, surely at least a few of those couple dozen guilds would have used it for.... something. Maybe even recruitment.

Hey, OGC has a /lfguild entry now. (Edit: Sorry Dima, just saw your post.)
  11. markkk Lorekeeper

nothing beats the rush to get to max lvl when a new server opens,thats why a lot of people jump,i love original eq only thing missing his corpse runs.
  12. Silver-Crow Augur

Short answer is : Tell me a guild that will turn down a few extra players. While we have enough to clear content in era, it's always better to have more regular players to ensure raids are full.

Long answer is : I feel that the TLP game is steadily being killed by the accelerated release of new TLP servers, constantly diluting the player base purely in the name of making bag/mount sales. This is leading to the abandonment of many servers trying to keep up with 'the crowd'. Unfortunately 'The crowd' also contains a large number of malcontents, krono lords, bot armies and other toxic individuals which generally ruin many peoples EQ experience.

EQ is a game designed for generating communities, co-operating with others, building an online alter-ego, and is best played over years, not months. if you're abandoning your server on a regular basis due to the boom/bust nature of the newer servers, then you're never going to experience that.

This is my reason for pointing out that it's time to get out of that vicious cycle and join a TLP that has a great community, and is unlikely to evaporate when the next TLP lands. If things are great on your server currently, then that's totally cool, stay and enjoy it. It's more a case of if you find yourself on an empty server and are considering a move, then think about coming to a server that's mature, has all the benefits of a TLP ruleset and has the framework in place to help you enjoy your EQ for years to come, rather than jumping to the new 'shiny' server which is likely to follow the boom/bust pattern that the last few have.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think much boils down to timing, servers after Phinigel have not had as great a start as Phinigel did, it did a lot of the right things at the right time though like all TLP it has declined the pace of that decline has felt more gradual than TLP before & probably since (subjectively speaking).

Farkle's post made a lot of sense & in fairness Guilds on Phinny probably could have been a little more aggressive in their marketing / advertising but most are aware there is a balance to be struck between getting the message out & annoying people or appearing desperate.
  14. Hdizzle Augur

If Phinny was not truebox or Ragefire had AoCs… if they got EITHER of those two factors right... then said server would be a goliath still pumping along today. Ultimately DBG wants fewer but fuller servers instead of a higher number of smaller servers. Player retention affects smaller populations more severely than larger. I'm speculating but it makes sense to me Hah!

Diminishing returns on TLPS being pumped out every year were brought up when Phinny came out. Again for the zillionth time... If they just stopped, take a breathe and did it right the first danm time we could be discussing the next TLP to be released since Ragefire … and the demand would be outstanding.

Also Krono helps you "cash out" your TLP toons and start with some value on a new TLP. Only noobs main on a truebox server.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That vacuous nonsense says much more about the kind of person you are than it does about your targets.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Political inferences are totally meaningless when there are absolute snowflakes on all sides of the political spectrum.
  17. Machen New Member

Ragefire is past the point where AoC's matter, come play!
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Several players (both US & EU timezone) have moved to Phinigel since this was originally posted, most of them are already 85 after but a few days, really nice to see.

Hopefully there are still more players out there who would like to find a good server with a friendly community such as we have, do reach out, plenty of help available to those interested in seeing how things are over here, RoF will be fun.
  19. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

[IMG]
  20. Evertrek Augur