DBG Issue Tracker down or gone ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Every piece of software I know of allows you to export the data somehow, even if it is a straight MySQL dump.

So if they can't continue it, how about they just give us the MySQL dump of all the tables (leaving out the hashed passwords, of course)?

As for the person who said, "How stupid of you to trust it", yeah, my bad. I figured since Daybreak said to use it that they would make sure it was safe. I was wrong.

Ok, the cost to keep running it was prohibitive. I get that. It costs nothing to export the data. Also, as someone else said, people will volunteer to either run it or gather funds to do so.

Let's get a data export at the least. If someone can just do a dump of the EQ tickets, we can sort though it. A dump of all the tickets Fanra created sent to me would enable me to recreate them on this forum.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Leex like this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I also noticed an update format on the /petition age when creating a new ticket this past Saturday. When you select the type of problem you get "(report….toxic player...)" as one of the options.

As for the closure of Daybreak Issue Tracker, perhaps Daybreak is preparing to spin off each respective franchise (Darkpaw Games, Rogue Planet, etc.) and any cross-platform modalities (EQ lumped in with Planetside, DCUO) are in the process of shuttering. It was poorly communicated for sure.
  3. Tucoh Augur

I don't know the details, but if the DGC Issue Tracker just went down in flames instead of being exported somehow, that's a huge shame. I know a number of people who would've been happy to host it.
    IblisTheMage and Sancus like this.
  4. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

To you, maybe its weird.

To me, I spent the time putting forth a significant effort to liaison with the staff around issues that needed to be brought forward in a game that I am passionate about, frequently with little to no gain for myself. Issues that in many cases, without intervention would have stagnated for many more years then they did. The system worked well, and I was super appreciative of the dev support that was given to it. It may not have been run by DB but on many occasions was given their support.

I could present you with a huge laundry list of things that were addressed, corrected, repaired, resolved, etc, because of the work we did with the issue tracker, both from submitters, to people who offered feedback, organizing it, sending it along, and ultimately, the devs who fixed things.

None of that was wasted time. I was recruited by the staff of the site to be the project administrator for EverQuest - (there were many games and multiple projects on the issue tracker, not just EQ.) after I'd volunteered on simple tasks there and been one of the few people to give of my time on a consistent basis. The project had existed for along time, it wasn't just a fly by night thing, it had been running for years. So your analogy is way off base.

It does frustrate me, however, and in my opinion, it would anyone, that we essentially had no notice to even get the data (which was easily saveable with a little effort), since it was just there one day and gone the next without any warning to myself, let alone any of the other volunteers. Heck, I probably would have found a way to fund it personally had I known and been able to transfer the data in any way. If that troubles you, then I'll admit I'm not losing any sleep over you thinking its weird.
    Casquette, Nniki, Metanis and 10 others like this.
  5. enclee Augur

You're just describing Everquest...
    bbanz and Drewie like this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

Exactly this.

It never should have had to go to an outside source to report back to Daybreak. Why did a fan ever have to start a site to report and track bugs, improvements and such when Daybreak already owns their own official forums where it could have been done to start with.

Players did that here on the forums. It mostly went ignored.
  7. Derresh Augur

I heard Scornfire burned it to the ground because no one upvoted his calico cat skin for vah shir request.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Forums are actually really bad for that kind of thing. That's why software like Jira exists in the first place.

The ideal solution would be for DBG to operate a ticket system like the issue tracker was, but officially.

The problem I think is one of cost, Jira charges by the user, so any random person signing up to submit their Epic 3.0 idea would cost them $10 or something. It wouldn't be worth it.
  9. Grabatz Lorekeeper

Dreamweaver or anybody at Daybreak Games:
    Can you please change your wbsite at https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217802328-How-do-I-report-a-bug- to reflect the above statement?
    All 5 language versions, if you don't mind.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Some things to keep in mind about this.

-Just because data can be dumped doesn't mean it will. Perhaps the third party forgot to pay their hosting and/or domain and lost (access to) it. Or other possibilities for why they didn't dump it.

-Losing the domain could explain why they didn't/couldn't give it to someone else to host.

-IF Daybreak had gotten the database, then what do they do? It would take man hours to replicate the site to even use the data. And who would be assigned to doing that? Having that data just makes a chore for them, when they are short handed.

-They haven't even had time to fix links to the bug tracker from all their top level sites. It will take them time to dig down into FAQ pages etc. to get the text corrected. Because they're short handed.

-Whatever may have happened is a good indication of just one reason why using a third party site for bug tracking may not be a great idea.
  11. Febb Augur

The domain is still resolving which means they didn't lose access to the DNS. If they didn't pay on the domain, the DNS servers would be changed over to the registrar's holding servers.

If they forgot to pay their hosting fee, normally the host would suspend the account and forward traffic to a error page stating the account is suspended. Also the host keeps the data for a period of time before they delete it due to liability issues.

The site currently just doesn't load which means there is a problem with either apache/nginx or the issue tracker software or the database. With a heavily used site, it would be smart to consult with people that know how to fix such issues so we can help fix them.
    Fanra and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

All good points.

But also, it could be a security/privacy concern. There are possibilities that include the data still being available, but no 'fourth party' is going to be getting it any time soon.
  13. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

So, where do we go to post a request that specific trade-skill drops, used for current max level potions, drop in the current expansion zones?
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

Can we have Epic 3.0, please?

/duck
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You could start by ForumQuesting for a Feature Request subforum.

Or posting in this thread, whichever you think will be most effective, if you actually are wanting a feature request forum.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Angahran Augur

If this was a fan run project how did they get the info for what was being worked on at Daybreak?
    Also, why would there have been any cost to Daybreak ?

It's a real shame that all of the incredibly useful information and feedback and the time and effort that people put into it has basically been flushed :(
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

I was just being silly.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. Havanap Elder

Sure it was a fan site, but it's also the official spot to "report a bug" as has been pointed out.

So, dropping this site without backing it up or transferring that data somehow, is negligence on the part of DGC.

"It was impossible to save the data" - everything is impossible until you throw enough money and effort at it. A lot of folks worked very hard for free to create and maintain that bug system. You are saying that their work is not worth saving because it takes a little more money and effort. That's disgusting.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Actually the only official comment made was it was NOT an official spot.

Nobody said it was impossible to save the data. We have been discussing possible reasons why the data will not be shared, even though it likely is still available.

Please read the entire thread to get a better of picture of what is actually going on.