Tradeable expansion - lesson not learned?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ghubuk, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Considering the "family" pack includes everything from the Collector's edition, which will be in excess of $100 USD, the "family pack" will cost even more than that. I don't think we need to worry too much about people trying to scam too much at that price point.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and yosco like this.
  2. Derresh Augur

i dont think a high price point will matter to scammers using fraudulent cards, but we will see i suppose.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Why are we worried about scams and fraudulent charges? It's almost like you're concerned about additional scrutiny on your own transactions or something. This is a business concern, not a player concern. There are already laws and procedures in place to handle this type of thing.

From a financial fraud perspective, tradeable expansions are no different, no more a target for scammers than Krono. Relax!!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the worry is by players who might buy an expansion key from someone in game then lose it. So yeah there is a reason for players to be concerned. Not so much the seller of the items but the buyers.

I do agree that on first looks it should be similar to kronos so there might not be anything to worry about. I don't think its wrong to question that though you are most likely right.
  5. Ghubuk Augur

Lol, strange rebuttal. If i was worried about additional scrutiny on my transactions, why would I ever shine a light on it?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The only time that I think that they removed Krono from the game was when some of them got duped/were fraudulently purchased, and even then I don't think they revoked any subs which were already claimed; they just removed Krono which had not been. I do think when it came to those who were not the offending player who originated tainted Krono that they did their best to reverse transactions whenever possible.

Another difference is that when there were actually issues with tainted Krono they were still a fairly new item and method of trade. But today, the method of trade is well established and people tend to know how to recognize those who are safe to deal with in Krono exchanges and those who are not.

The issues I see with these tradeable expansions is the fact that there is going to be no good way for players to trade them directly. Krono already have this issue to a lesser degree, by the fact that the bazaar/trade windows have the limit which they do as well as the barter/buyer windows being extremely subpar when it comes to item for item exchanges. Since these tradeable expansions are going to at minimum run twice as much as Krono which are already at or above the existing cap. Then there are the long term questions, are the items going to be expansion specific or generic, and if the former what happens when that expansion is made free to all.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

Easy fix..

Do not buy from anyone who is not known on your server. Anyone who tries to sell stuff .. when they not on their mains can be sketchy..

Seller's who are on their mains when they sell this type of stuff I trust. Not rando player 01 ..
    Bigstomp and Lisard like this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

No stranger than worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Much ado about nothing IMO.
  9. Fian Augur

Even this won't work. To take the krono market as an example, krono can be sold multiple times in game. The reputable person you buy from may not be the original owner, and they may be unaware that the item is "sketchy."
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And folks will just do what everyone does and sell them in general. Though I thought the idea was gifting to a family member or friend.
  11. Whulfgar Augur

From what I understood of them. The extra "tradeable" expansion.. is going to be keyed to which ever account it's bought on. Then maby tradeable only 1x ?

Who knows tho to be honest. If I were a dev.. I would simply allow it to be traded once.. Then have to be used.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Any time you buy or sell anything in game or even in RL there is some chance that you will receive counterfeit. Thats no reason to completely stop all trades!
  13. Scorrpio Augur

I am not concerned about fraud side of it as I have no plan to trade any parts of it.
    But lemme get this straight... does this include only ONE extra expack key? How does this help someone with say, 3 accounts?
    I suppose this will get clear tomorrow.
    Yinla and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  14. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Should be clear now.

You get two expansion keys total and you'll like it!
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Where did you get that impression that you would only be able to trade it once? Everything I've seen is that it will be an item that can be traded indefinitely. That said, I still don't see any one buying these just to resell the tradeable items.
  16. IblisTheMage Augur

I speculate that this could be an experiment to introduce tradeable expansions into the game economy in a very limited way, to learn how this would function wrt in game economy, paving the way for expanding tradeable expansion availability to be equal to Krono.

A tradeable expansion can help people that can generate in-game krono, but who are are budget limited, to play in the newest expansions.

If tradeable expansions in the future became directly purchaseable, they could take a similar function as Krono, with the big difference being that they devaluate a lot over time (new expansions include old, expansions come on sale before the new come out, etc).

This could be a benefit over Krono: Krono are forever, and are thus accumulating in the game economy.

Getting the player based used to expansion tokens devaluate over time could soften the blow of giving Krono a limited lifespan, say 36 months, and then over a number of years driving that number down, to for example 12 months.

New Krono wouod give a more healthy economy, because all Krono would go to their in-game function, namely pay for subscriptions.

It would greatly increase DBG control with the real money market, but the road to that state is filled with pitfalls...

All just for-fun-speculation while youngest watches Peppa Pig.
    Vumad likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

Between my wife and I we have 4 accounts.
    We've looked at it to where 1 tradeable account makes sense. (She is adamant about having the cat - I"ve been married long enough to save my battles) - so 4 accounts, 2 higher end ones. 1 tradeable box account, one bought at basic.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

I agree nobody will buy the friends an family JUST.. to have a tradeable expansion pack. They WILL buy it for everything combined in the packaged deal tho.
  19. Lisard Silly

this was half the issue, the other half was the guy selling the codes on 3rd party sites as well as INGAME across servers for Kronos in exchange. after a couple months he did a chargeback on steam for all the codes he bough with the broken conversions...and every single person who used a code from them got the ban. so yes, if you buy a tradeable expansion from someone in game for krono or another avenue for money this very thing can happen to you as the tradeable expansion is linked to what ever chargeback is made. it was also costing them like 2 bucks usd once the conversions were done, then they would sell it for 3-5 dollars usd via 3rd party sites or a krono in game

however, the mount and other tradeable items (which dont require a code entered) are free game and no problems around them.

my advice, mimics whulf's, dont buy from shadey people in game or out. unless you know their reputation and you avoid any problems that arise from it.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, that was again a totally different as those were codes. There are no codes involved now. Further, they expansions are handled differently now from then. They (Daybreak) completely overhauled their entire system of dealing with these kind of problems as well as the interaction between them and Steam. The tradeable expansion will be the same as all of the other tradeable items.

The buying from shady people thing is just a matter of you not getting ripped off directly by the shady person.