Marketing Feedback / Which Expansion are You Buying and Why

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morigaine, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Bamboompow Augur

Would normally buy the fancy version for the main and the alts get standard. Money is tight right now along with other RL pressures (rains it pours), so no expacs are being purchased and the accounts are Silver.
  2. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Did I miss a post somewhere providing details on the gnomish heritage teleporter?

I'm cynically thinking that it is just a portal to GMM.

And since there are no TOV raids the first month...we're all going to be really sick of GMM by that point.
  3. Conq Augur

1 Friends & Family, 5 standard. Bummed the gnomish mount and illusion aren't tradeable, since I already have them. I guess my bazaar mule gets a rhinomech mount...
    Conq
  4. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I feel like that's still up for debate during the beta period. Make your voice heard. Unless you just want to be cynical :)
  5. Bamboompow Augur

Can't you be happy you are even getting new content? Bummer its not exactly when you want it. *mutters something about entitlement under breath....*
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There is more to EQ than raids, take some time out and enjoy the group content. :)
  7. Axxius Augur

I have 3 accounts. Usually at this time of the year I want to buy Collector's Edition (sometime even Premium) for my main account and Standard for the alt accounts. However, after looking at the available ToV packages I was disappointed. I studied that table over and over and could not find a reason to buy anything but Standard for all accounts. And the Friends & Family package left me totally confused, it doesn't make any sense.

Here's my feedback from my particular point of view. Of course, there are other players who have totally different situations. I am not speaking for anybody else, just myself.

So, why should I buy anything better than Standard?' Let's see...

Collector's edition:
    • A clicky teleport somewhere. If the previous expansions are any indication, that location is not super useful. There will be a GH portal available to the same or a better location. And I'll get another portal as a Wizard too. Combined with other interesting items, this clicky could be an additional reason to buy the Collector's edition. Sadly, there are no other interesting items I could use.
    • Another merc skin. The icy orc looks maybe OK for a tank, but not really better than the mercs I already have.
    • A couple of XP potions, not even the top tier. I can buy better in the DC store. And what's the rush anyway? Getting to lv 115 and grabbing new AA ranks slightly faster would be valuable for raiders, but in this expansion the raids won't be available for a month. That decision alone makes the xp potions irrelevant.
    • Perfected aug distillers. No value to an active player with a recurring subscription. Purity augs are very easy to obtain, and they have stagnated so much that they stopped making any real difference. If I somehow manage to spend a bag of 35 purity augs sitting in my bank, the Loyalty vendor in PoK can always hook me up with the perfected distillers.
    • Another 40-slot bag. But all my bags are already 40-slot, and I have a few of those in the bank too. Make it 60-slot and we can talk about it. Yes, I know about the technical limitation, but that doesn't change the fact that this item is worthless.
    • A painting for my house. As much as I love the Daybreak artists (and they are really awesome), this is not a reason to upgrade. I think I've visited my house about 3 times in the last 12 months.
    • Lv 85 Heroic char boost. That could be valuable back when the level cap was 100. But it's whopping 30 levels below the level cap now. If I decide to level another alt, this will make very little difference. Also, alts are better off on the alt accounts. I'm looking for a reason to buy a more expensive package for the main account.
    • Kitty pet or familiar. Soooooo cute! This could be the reason! If I wasn't playing a Wizard. But since I can't have it, too bad.
    • A wolf mount. Not better than my magic carpet. Pass.
    Premium edition:
    • GH portal somewhere. See above. Also, being a member of a large guild, I already know that somebody in my guild will buy it for whatever reason, and 1 is enough for everybody. I'll just give that person a hug instead of buying another copy.
    • More XP potions. See above.
    • Another pet/familiar illusion. Not nearly as cute as the kitty. And I can't use it anyway (see above).
    • Another mount. Nope. I'll keep my magic carpet.
    • Icy dwarf illusion. Nope. If want to illusion myself, TBL genies are waaaaaay cooler. And then there is the whole thing with illusions vs HF armor, where the armor always wins (except for the genies that look super cool even without the HF armor).
    So, still no reason to buy anything better than Standard. Disappointing. But what's this new Friends & Family bundle that costs 7x more than Standard? Maybe I can buy that, get all of the goodies, and it will cover my alt accounts too? My alts are my friends, or even family!

Friends & Family:
    • Costs more than Premium + 2 Standard. Umm... why?? So even if I wanted all goodies, I could just buy Premium for myself and Standard for the alts for less money.
    • 1 tradable Standard expansion. For that price? ONE?! Then why does it say 'friends' in plural and not just 'friend'? With the group size of 6, i.e. the typical setup of 3 chars + 3 mercs, you'd think that a bundle with 2 Standard tickets for my 2 alt accounts would make the most sense. But no, I can't have that. If I buy this one, I will still have to buy another Standard.
    • Tradable HC boost. If want an HC boost, I can buy it for much cheaper. Also, lv 85 is pretty sad now that the cap is 115.
    • Tradable mounts. I could care less what my alts are riding. And the carpets are better anyway.
    • Legendary Gnomish bundle. After 9 months of GMM, I think I've seen enough clockworks for now. Pass.
    Sadly, as much as I love Daybreak, I could not find a reason to buy any of the premium packages this year. Sorry, not good enough. Hope this can reach somebody responsible for the marketing at Daybreak. Again, I'm only speaking for myself.
  8. Suffer Lorekeeper

In my opinion Daybreak needs to figure out the cheapest/quickest way they can help get someone up to speed grouping with actual characters. Bottom line is whether somebody is brand new to the game or returning Daybreak needs to get that person to build some affinity to their character. If a player is stoked on his or her toon they will grind away or want to log in regularly. I believe this is how you retain customers.
  9. Ravanta Suffer Augur

This is the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I stated that my opinion is that I don't know what the gnomish teleporter is, and that I really hope it's not a teleporter to GMM.

You seem to be implying that you don't think my opinion has value.

Why did you post?
  10. Lidwen New Member

I play 6 accounts, I considered buying FNF but they fluffed it up so much and provided No benefits for Boxers or for Friends and family No RAF style xp No CLicky portals to each other Nothing. Except crap I never buy from the DBG store. So i ended up going with 6 Std Editions. The Additional items mounts XP pots etc.. I just Earn the Achievements in game and get and XP pots just Lessen the time i get to spend in Norrath so why would i want that?

Also The Tradeable Is a Good Idea but Putting it into a Way Overpriced Bundle of crap. not so great , Coulda Been done in a Better way Like Oh Your buying a Xpack Click here to buy a tradeable one for your Friends and family , Then offered me addons like Heroics and Mounts and the Fluff that Inflated the price to such a crazy level. a Game should Never cost more for a single XPack than a Computer that can play it. LOL
    Gyurika Godofwar, Axxius and Suffer like this.
  11. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Standard edition for the main account and maybe up to five more as time goes on. The Friends and Family package was just too much for me. It is probably geared towards folks who are going to sale it for in-game items.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. sauron3030 Elder

Standard edition, no real value for me in the others.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1 standard edition for beta. (No point in buying more standard for boxes with no pre-order bonus).

I'll wait for the 50% off upgrade for Collector or Premium.
  14. Borm FV New Member

2 FnF, 1 Premium. I 3-box and the mounds and shared exp pots have value. The real reason for the FnF is to see if I can sell the items in game for large amounts of plat or Raid gear for my team. I don’t raid, and on the “nerf GMM” debacle thread I said I would now use all legal means to use my RL cash to even the playing field. Thank you DBG!

If you’re on the FV server and have insane - really insane - amount of plat and want to get in on the bidding, look me up. This is my chance to play within the rules and get in game rewards. I expect to profit obscenely.
  15. Bamboompow Augur

Don't say you didn't ask for what follows:

In retrospective, posting nothing at all would have been more productive to the conversation. Maybe even posting now is not exactly good tact, but anyway. Here goes.

If there was a reason, it might be that there has been mention by others of some guilds not adapting to the situation of having a lay over between content. In addition to the implication that they are out of viable raid worthy content to prevent dkp rot or RA% problems or whatever. I sort of filed your comment along with those of others in relation to that presumed quandary under the category of:

"That's on you (or your guild) and not on DBG".

Now maybe since this is text and the context is muddled a bit, you could have just been sarcastic or it was just a good ole fashion complaint. In general opinions are what they are. Everyone has one, just like a certain posterior orifice. You know the rest.

Ultimately, when someone is dressing down a gift, a convenience item, or a situation that could have a much worse possible outcome then that opinion perhaps could end up being of marginal value by my own interpretation. Which really doesn't mean squat other than I get to feel better about myself for calling you out on being inconsiderate. I am also just someone from the internet and my opinion is just as worthless. Next time I'll think before I type. Keep on Truck'n
  16. Ravanta Suffer Augur

A $250 premium purchase where it's one of the only truly unique things about the package, is certainly not a gift.
  17. Bamboompow Augur

That's a bit spendy. Welp, sorry mang. Its still on you. Take it or leave it. Might be the reason why this tread exists. Axxius nailed it with the specifics. Someone in your guild will have to pony up the money for the guild hall item and someone usually does thanklessly.

If you all are done with GMM, than don't go back there. If there are no good raids until after the New Year, ask your guild leadership to "stop the clock" or give everyone a Mulligan or whatever on their RA/DKP rot until there is something worth doing. Guilds are sort of rigid but most have found they need to change with the times so this should not be a crisis.

This stuff is all on you all. DBG is offering something at X dollars and its on you all to find it acceptable or not. I have thrown the BS flag on nerfs and what not, but with dollars and real world sense things you will not change their minds. In game abilities are one thing but money is tangible and nonnegotiable.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Mid level for my account and my husband's. standard for the junk account that he boxes my old shaman on.
  19. dubblestack Elder

3+ premium, mount, illusion, pet illusions are cool.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Your confusion is self inflicted. You are trying to change the name from Friends and Family bundle to the Multi-Boxer bundle. They designed this for you to give to someone other than yourself. So you don't need access to their account to apply it.

The only thing I think is a mistake is that there is not a tradeable personal teleporter clicky. Everything else is fine.
    Whulfgar likes this.