Hanging when logging out

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Igorath-Bertox, Jun 13, 2019.

1. DebonAir Lorekeeper

I am having the same issue that CatsPaws posted.
    It is going on for quite some time now (as in "months"). Can a developer please acknowledge this and give us a perspective on how and when this will be fixed?
  2. FubarEQ Journeyman

Same problems here as well. It's become more than annoying.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Natal Augur

The root cause appears to be that EQ is no longer compatible with Windows 10. So stuff does not always work properly and it can hang the computer. Once you get into the perma-hang loop, you have to run the compatibility tool and set it at either Windows 7 or Windows 8 (sometimes one works, sometimes the other). I don't quite have reliable steps to recover out of these loops figured out yet, but certainly the compatibility tool is essential to get EQ working again if you accidently try to exit the proper way.

I think this is due to changes that happened in Windows 10 itself a few builds back. I have a few other legacy software that stopped working around that time. My old scanner for example will no longer scan, even though the computer can see it and knows it is there.

Anyway, the devs need to figure this out. Having your software incompatible with the OS being used to run it is never a good idea. I can understand it with my scanner, since it is old and is no longer supported by the manufacturer, but EQ is current software, this should not be happening.
    FubarEQ likes this.
  4. FubarEQ Journeyman

I do recall a bigger Win10 update a few months ago and I think you might be right. Another poster mentioned it started around when tabbed chat windows came out as well.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Could be the issue for those using 10 -but many of us are not using Windows 10. It happens on my Windows 8.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm on Windows 7 and it happens here too.
  7. Natal Augur

Ok, then it is a more general thing then.

Are you guys using any sort of gaming skin (such the nVidia and AMD ones)?

What anti-virus program are you using?

There may be some sort of common underlying software that is triggering it.
  8. Player Two Augur

I have 3 computers all with the same problem. Running default gui on all. 1 laptop with nvidia gfx, one desktop using buildt in gfx on the cpu and one desktop with nvidia gfx. All running std windows buildt-in antivirus. Unfortunately I don't remember when it started.
  9. Bardy McFly Augur

If you don’t want to lose your settings just hit alt-f4 when the black screen appears. This preserves my full screen settings rather than using the Windows key.
  10. Traisten New Member

I have used the Bypass to the launcher and I can log out normally through the server select screen. Though when I use the launchpad it goes blank then back to the lookalike bypass login when logging out.
    For those wondering..make a shortcut of your EQGame.exe from your Everquest folder then in the target line for the shortcut just add a patchme after the end quotes. There needs to be a space between the exe" and patchme for it to work correctly. Something like this..

"c:\games\daybreak game company\installed games\eqgame.exe" patchme

This can solve the black screen for a few but maybe not everyone.
  11. Enigma Maitreya Augur

I have 3 Machines, 2 run Windows 10 Pro and 1 Runs Windows 8.1 Pro.

The same issue. I am reminded from way back when EQ could run on Linux via Transxxx(gaming?) this would pop up and the issue was waiting for a Device something on the Video Card to time out.

Not sure if it is the same thing, but for me, it does seem to have a timeout of something as it takes a long time to go from character select screen to the old log in screen.