We ready to dump truebox?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Oct 20, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

Truebox is definitely working. It keeps boxing down.

The debate, I believe, largely comes down to the idea of boxing in Classic to POP vs Boxing on a mature server.

I'd never play a classic era TLP without Truebox, and DBG knows that they did the right thing there. However, the notion of turning off Truebox after some period such as DoDH is not the same as turning off Truebox in Kunark.
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Currently on Mangler, avoiding true box seems to be quite easy but I can't say for what % of the population maybe like 5 - 15%? Maybe as long as the exploits aren't too well known or exposed it's ok.

I guess that's one way to look at it.
    Guess it's open season long as it's not done by enough people.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Hard for me to say since I don't do Mangled but I would definitely expect it to have the most toxicity and mass boxers. The fact that DBG is allowing that third party site to exist still using their trademarks is an entirely different, befuddling issue.

It could be a case of the squeaky wheel thing...
  4. That0neguy Augur

They have already proven they have 0 intent to actually defend their trademarks or IP.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Truebox is almost certainly in need of a rehash to once again make it effective but the Developers are pretty hardline on server rules, if a server is started as Truebox they intend for it to stay that way.

They haven't stated any intention to open a new non-truebox TLP server yet as I think that would be a pretty big feature on a new TLP now, I think the s**tstorm that was "Magefire" has poisoned the well somewhat.

I do however think there's a much bigger chance of a new TLP without Truebox than an older TLP which already has it having it removed.
  6. Pikollo Augur

No one else thinks they'd get a small spike in subs/sales if they turned truebox off at this point?

I think one of the bigger points people are trying to make is at this point on Selo removing truebox won't have a huge impact on the server. Those that have burned out and left are gone. Those that remain might make a new box so they can group. Those that use several VM's to take certain camps are already doing it.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

On what server? It wouldn't make any difference on Phinny and probably not Agnarr, Coirnav, either. Mangler, perhaps? I doubt it would make a difference there, either since the cheaters are already cheating en masse there.
  9. Pikollo Augur

Sorry I meant on Selo. All in all if you lose more people per day then you gain then allowing individuals to box multiple accounts would help even that out right? Income wise at least. Would people really quit if truebox was removed?
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

I doubt servers would change much past level 70'ish without Truebox. There just isn't much grouping going on anyways.

I'd love to see population trajectories. DBG obviously have these. But they must all look pretty much the exact same -- precipitous dropoffs every time a new TLP comes out, consistent downward slope, and a long long somber tail.
  11. Pikollo Augur

Kind of the point ya? If it won't change much then just knock the truebox off at this point.
  12. Kevron Journeyman

Truebox should be standard on every TLP until Omens of War has died down. Sometime during the level 70 hell of waiting for TSS it should get removed with an expansion launch. DoN or DoDH would make sense to me, like others have said. It's a really good compromise that takes into account the natural TLP population curve but keeps the integrity of the earlier expansions intact.
  13. Machen New Member

I would subscribe three accounts today on Phinigel if they turned off truebox.

I think it would make at least some small difference.
  14. SunDrake Augur

Not sure if it'd bring any real numbers, but I know if they dropped True Box on Phinigel I'd likely never log in to another TLP, ever.
  15. Machen New Member

Just on general principle, or do you think it would actually impact you in some real way?
  16. SunDrake Augur

I mean I would spend 100% of all my EQ TLP time on the Phinigel server if that were to happen. I believe that's the opposite of what you were thinking. I'd be in favor of dropping True Box there.

Edit: I have two characters in the low 80s there that I like very much, but I just do not enjoy using two laptops after getting used to boxing on live.
    Machen likes this.
  17. Machen New Member

Got it, me too.

I am contemplating making the switch to Ragefire once it hits SoD, or at least TSS, but it's still a bit off from the eras I'd like to play in.
    SunDrake likes this.
  18. Javaliscious New Member

Ragefire is in TSS. TBS vote is up and expansion pops next month. Ragefire is active. There are a number of guilds inlcuding Core Tempus, Dead Halfer Society, Summation etc etc. There are box armies still but they are not a factor. People are really nice for the most part. The box army guys are nice as well. If you ask questions in general you will get answers. Sometimes in more detail than you were looking for. Some people like to show how much EQ knowledge they have but that's cool too. If Ragefire had started with AoC's I truly believe the negativity of boxing would really never been a thing. Picks and AoC's remove 90+% of those issues. I still think DBG screwed up by not making a boxing server built with those.
  19. Machen New Member

Lol. I somehow missed this even though I gave the TBS launch date for Ragefire in the other thread. Thanks.
  20. taliefer Augur

I've been slow, but i have come around to its time to ditch the truebox. If they arent going to police it, get rid of it.