We ready to dump truebox?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Oct 20, 2019.

1. michahs1 New Member

that's ridiculous dude, phinny and selos are overwhelmingly box heavy servers currently, and coirnav is getting there fast. why would you even try to state some rookie number like that lol. you're surrounded by players that are well aware that that number isn't even remotely true.
  2. yerm Augur

Selo really is not. The average player is solo, with a sizeable minority boxing. Those boxers are typically only 1 maybe 2 extra. A tiny few go 6. I don't know of anyone over 6. This is in dodh era.

Fippy had more boxing, both participant % and army size, by kunark. Ragefire had more boxing within a week of launch, and only then because rf launch was such a hardware I need a hug that it took folks a minute to get their stuff together once it was stable. Selo isn't even close to them. You'd have to go back to combine to find a non truebox tlp with less boxing.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

I'll agree, Selo is not super box heavy by any stretch. A lot of people definitely 2 box, but by no means is boxing your whole group the norm on Selo. If there was no Truebox, there would be more boxing, but I can't say this would be bad given the state of EQ once it gets past Gates/Omens era. The world is huge, open world content is effectively over, and there just aren't many hot, contested cash camps like Efreeti, hill giants, Sebilis, etc.
  4. Krysanth Elder

Yerm, I gotta disagree. There are a lot of boxers here, just not as many toons per person compared to the non truebox servers.

It's time to dump the truebox restriction on this server.

Everything is instanced now and the population is dwindling.
  5. michahs1 New Member

2 boxing is boxing. there are tons of people 2 and 3 boxing, with SoD and mercs in mind. it's a huge percentage of the population. the fact that all of those people are having to run multiple laptops to do so is ridiculous.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

2 boxing is "boxing" but it isn't really the same as 6+ boxing. 6 Boxers tend to keep to themselves or group with only 1 close friend, some are different but that's generally how things are. People who 2 box still spend the majority of their time grouping with friends, random guildies and even in pugs. 2 boxers are generally more willing to drop their box from a group so the guildy that's LFG isn't sitting LFG for an hour.

I'd be cool if they drop truebox, ONLY if they placed restrictions on toons that can be boxed at like 2-3. If not it would turn into RF again and 90% of the TLP playerbase doesn't want that.
    Ootax likes this.
  7. Machen New Member

3 toons is still a full group once mercs come in. What's the difference at that point?
  8. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nobody cares about the game by SoD or whenever mercs come in. I don't care about boxing in your Hello Kitty MMO either.
  9. Machen New Member

Great, can you stop arguing against removing truebox in those late eras then?
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Only after you stop imagine in your head that i am
  11. Pikollo Augur

Dump truebox or start banning the people who use VM's. Make it an even playing field either way. I agree that after a certain point the population goes down so removing truebox would get more accounts in. Personally I 2 box but I have 3 computers. For me the game is not as enjoyable playing more then 1-2 chars.

While we are at it. Remove motm!
  12. Raytheon Augur

Wow! An anti-truebox thread! I haven't seen one of these in so long! Where you guys been for the last 6-8 minutes?
    Meridian, Skuz and WaitingforMoreEQ like this.
  13. Xanathol Augur

Nope.
    Next thread.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Blastoff Augur

The simple fact is Phinny was wildly successful and it would make no sense to stop releasing clones. Every clone is the most popular and profitable server they have until the next one launches, where they get another spike in interest and revenue. Don't expect them to stop until players lose interest; and there are no signs of this happening. Every Phinny clone has a high population of people who haven't played eq in xx years compared to other servers. It would make zero sense to stop until the Phinny x.0 launches aren't so massive.
    Ootax likes this.
  15. Machen New Member

To offer a counterpoint--

Phinny was only slightly more successful at launch than Ragefire/Lockjaw combined. Advances in technology were the main reason a second server wasn't launched alongside Phinny--with pickzones and better server load balancing it wasn't needed. If there had been a Phinny clone launched alongside Phinny, the population on each would have only been slightly larger than Ragefire/Lockjaw on launch.

There is little argument that AoC's made Phinny more successful over the long term than previous servers. Allowing players to access the content was a good thing. Along with the fact that another server didn't launch six months after Phinny.

All that said, it's quite possible that another variation on the ruleset could be even more popular than Phinny. And even if not, simply repeating the same thing over and over will eventually result in less and less interest. In part what made Phinny work so well was that it was new. New, with a good ruleset -- we can see with Coirnav that new with a poor ruleset doesn't work.

I tend to suspect that a server that has fully instanced group content but no truebox might be as much more successful than Phinny, as Phinny was over ragefire and lockjaw. Especially if you throw in a party finder feature similar to what WoW has to join dungeon instances. Include a check box to allow boxes or not allow boxes to join your party, and you'd basically give every segment of the player base the ability to play exactly the way they want, with no need to run into players who are going at it a different way. You'd have more subs from boxers, but they wouldn't bother the people who don't like boxers in the least.
    Blastoff likes this.
  16. Riggles Journeyman

Truebox blows. I realize DBG has made mistakes. Any company would when they try to satisfy some part of a player base while going against another part of their base. But I cannot imagine DBG making the mistake of using Truebox on Miragul.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

18. Delphwind Augur

Actually after playing on these TLPs for years starting on Fippy, my number is quite accurate on the current iteration (Mangler/Selo).

Yes there are boxers, and there are even people who box raids. I know there are work arounds, but the truebox code IS WORKING, and its obvious if you group with a lot of different people on a regular basis.
  19. That0neguy Augur

Can I see the spreadsheet you created to come up with these quite accurate numbers?
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  20. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

At your convenience, I'd like my playbook back please.
    That0neguy likes this.