New November Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MarttinPH, Sep 19, 2019.

1. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Truebox should be name changed to "those who can't google truebox bypass"
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am a bit confused. I see a lot of people saying they will only play on the new server if it isn't a True Box server because they enjoy boxing. I enjoy boxing too but I play on a Live server.

What confuses me is why someone needs this new server if they want to box and that is how they enjoy playing? If you want to box just play on a regular Live server. You are boxing so who cares if you aren't able to group with higher level folks. And you would get the option to go FTP from time to time if you felt like it.

The only really good reason I can see for wanting the new server to be non true box is people wanting to box for RMTs since there is a ton of RL money to make on new servers.

If all someone want to do is 5 or 6 box why aren't regular live servers ideal?
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Rayvorn Elder

I want to see the expanses that I missed and if you go to Live you miss everything except current. Also after 2-3 expansions the server population gets low and its hard to find a group..and its easier to box without Truebox..it's that simple for me.
    Icaen likes this.
  4. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

The expansions that you missed don't just disappear when a new one comes out, even on live. They're still there...
    If you're 5-6 boxing, ask Corwyhn asked, why is finding a group an issue?
    Also as Corwyhn said, there's no truebox on live...
  5. Rayvorn Elder

The expansions arent the same as raiding them with everyone else at intended level. If that is your response then why have any progression servers because I can go play Luclin on live too ....doesnt mean it's fun 1 shotting everything.

I like to group with people and will group as long as the community supports it but when I want to go farm an aug and no one else is interested, I like being able to still farm it myself instead of making it 10 times harder to farm. Live isn't the answer for me. It may be a personal thing for me. I don't like skipping to the last chapter of a book.
    NameAlreadyInUse and Icaen like this.
  6. yerm Augur

So you DON'T want to group in era. You want to raid in era, and group by yourself.

Post on reddit and get a like a weekly or monthly raiding crew together. I bet you could find other boxers interested in doing a once a month expansion clear - knock down all the raids, at appropriate level with no out of era gear.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Rayvorn Elder

I do want to group in era...but when there are no groups to be had I still want to be able to do content. I also want to raid in era. So do many others, hence why this server is being released (since people believe that Daybreak looks at feedback).

As far as your Reddit idea...sure I'll create hours of work organizing and policing gear on people to ensure we did some in era fake raid with a bunch of boxes instead of real people. Or I could just play the server that is coming out in two weeks. I can hope it's not truebox like many others.

Not sure where I once said I wanted to raid with a few people who had large box teams. I only 5 box (leave 1 spot for a guildy and use a merc instead) and I NEVER box a raids. Not my thing.
    Yinla and Icaen like this.
  8. Icaen Elder

Being able to do content in era by yourself with a few boxes when there are no groups available or players interested in the random aug quest that you're interested in.

A truly earth-shattering concept.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It's not a black & white, all-or-nothing equation. I like playing with other people, but I also like boxing. Sometimes I like to box while I play with other people. This is true across all of the servers I've played on: TLP, Quarm, and Live.

But a new server is exciting and fun, with lot's of people doing the same things you are, at the same time. While this can be frustrating when there is limited content & resource congestion, it is far more compelling than the ghost town that older expansions are on Live servers. Plus, it's not a Classic TLP. It's new. Again.
  10. ntellect Augur

Doing your thing with OTHER PLAYERS around you is what makes EQ work.

Yes. I can go on FV and level in butcherblock. But it is a different experience doing that from doing that exact same thing on Mangler which is slightly different from.doing it on Mangler at launch.

Everyone being 85 and I suspect many not knowing what they are doing is what will.be the draw of this server and make it fun. Outside of that you have the benefits of structured progression and questing as opposed to standing in a camp pulling mobs instantly. Gear is more common and known how to get. You have a full toolkit to learn as opposed to building one
  11. Morthakia Augur

I box on live servers. It is true, for the majority of things I spend my time on, I don’t need to actually group with other players. However, I would quit today without the social aspects that supplement my boxing experience. These things include:
    1) I am part of a raiding guild that relies on boxing to win raids. We raid both current content and the most recent expansion.
    2) Some things are very challenging to box or require specific classes in order to complex. For example, there are TBL Challenger achievements (Three at Once, Firelings, etc.) that I can’t do alone or prefer to drop a box in order to complete.
    3) There is an economy for relevant items. These days it is mostly tradeskill materials for folks working on their Artisan’s Prize or tradeskill armor. There is also tradeskill gear (Secret Dawn and Conflagrant) that makes some of the best-in-slot group armor and augs.
    4) Some of us enjoy going “back in time” and doing old achievements or getting certain clickies, particularly raids from a few expansions ago that are still difficult but can be done with ~30 characters. Part of the fun is that we still wipe on these raids but refine our strategies and usually pull off a win.
    5) I very frequently give away no-drop, current-content group gear. The non-boxers love it and it helps me make friends and establish a reputation on the server.

There are a ton more. These sorts of interactions make the EQ experience for me. Sure, I could start a new box team on a live server and attempted to artificially restrict myself to certain expansions, but #1, #2, #3, and #5 all wouldn’t be possible. #4 would be possible but content would just get steamrolled, and that’s not particularly fun.
    Rayvorn and code-zero like this.
  12. Sumyungguy New Member

My personal opinion; Truebox would be this servers downfall.

If they make it a truebox, it will fail.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

How fast will it fail though? Isn't Fippy failed by now? If it was on Hospice they'd be broke.
  14. Ootax Augur

I hope this server is truebox, it doesn't eliminate it but it does cut it down some. I love seeing the people who want to box say "I like boxing but I also like grouping with other people", very rarely do you see a boxer drop their box for another player or even invite another player over putting their boxes in. Sure it does happen but it's a very rare instance when it does. Now I know everyone posting here that they want to box are all going to say "yea I would much rather have a player" which isn't true. What you would much rather do is play by yourself and gear/AA up your boxes.

A boxers mentality is "I want to play by myself but only want you when I need something" e.g. Raids, the few missions/quests that boxing is just to much of a pain to deal with.
  15. VandilIzer Augur

I'm not sure where the mean boxer touched you but this has not been my experience with 99% of boxers. Almost all of them will drop a merc, bot, whatever for guild mates. Yes there are certainly those who prefer to spend their grouping time doing stuff alone however those are definitely not the majority.
  16. TLP Addict Augur

I quit during Underfoot because the way the group armor quests worked encouraged people to camp the nameds with the bare minimum required to kill them ie 2-3 toons + mercs.

Adding more people just diluted the chance of winning the clays so many would not invite others.

Maybe HoT and beyond things are better but UF wasn't particularly enjoyable for many non boxers. It was also an unhappy time for many main Clerics, everybody says they would rather have a real Cleric than a merc but when the rubber hits the road, most stick it out with the merc (or box).

Wasn't unusual for main Clerics to have less AAs than some of the boxes in the guild because people would not actually drop their box for a main as many claim.

Boxing was a double edged sword, it was part savior of the game and also partly responsible for driving even more players away.
    Starr likes this.
  17. EEpromm Lorekeeper

This bewilders me too, has for quite a while. Not just why they don't just play on a live server but why it's such a big deal anyway. Just buy some cheap used laptops and go legit. Not saying that's the perfect scenario for the hard core same-pc boxer but in that case you already have live (and loads of other servers if you want earlier exps like ragefire/lockjaw) to go crazy on. The gear is comparable or less than the cost of making a pc powerful enough to run zounds of clients and you could even use the pcs for other things while not boxing, SETI@Home for the win! :)

I'm for true box myself. My thinking is that the extra headache involved in boxing makes it just a tiny bit less likely that I and others will feel pressured to box. I want to play an mmo not faqing finger twister lol. Not feeling like I need to box is a good thing and likely results in more social dynamics for the server which for sure makes the server last longer. There are times when boxing can be fun but it's nowhere near the fun of a good group and half the reason I don't bother with live is because I don't feel like boxing much.
    Oakenblade and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  18. Machen New Member

HoT is MUCH better. There are so many named, and they spawn so frequently, that no one is going to get up in arms over the loot. It's not uncommon to get 2-4 named per spawn cycle in places like HoT lower.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Live servers have significantly increased spawn rates for HOT named mobs now, as compared to when HoT was current. I wonder if the new server will also see the increased spawn rate, or whether the names will spawn at the much slower, older rate?
  20. Machen New Member

Currently on Phinny they are spawning fast. I am pretty sure they will spawn fast on the new server too, but who knows.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.