Returning cleric seeking advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dirck, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Dirck New Member

I stopped playing towards the end of OOW after downing OMM. I returned in June and spent some time goofing off and leveling multiple characters to 110 but now I'd like to get back on the horse and get my cleric back into doing challenging content. I'm looking for pointers on what AA (after auto-grants are over) are most important to prioritize in the modern game as well as any other "must have" check boxes to get back into the raiding scene. Thanks for your thoughts/advice.
  2. Zunnoab Augur

I don't know off hand where to point you on AA etc, but I can tell you the single biggest difference:
    Whereas back then it was about managing your mana with fairly gradual damage incoming to groups/tanks, now the game is significantly faster paced. A cleric now has enormous healing power, and your limit is which spells you are using in the context of your target, and/or how quickly you are at changing targets and keeping spells flying out.

Multibind, while not used by everyone, is a really key tool. If you bind one key to multiple spell gems, the game will prioritize the ones closer to the top but skip over them and use the others when some are on lockout. With the extremely fast pace of casting in modern EverQuest, that helps immensely.

Also, I don't remember if target previous target and such was available to key bind back then. I know the extended target window wasn't. I'm not sure how useful it is out of raids, but you can bind targets to your extended target window.

I won't start rambling into more specific detail. I'm sure others have links to guides about this.

Edit: Also, changing target mid cast helps with efficiency too, if you need to do so. You can do that with target previous target and clicking directly on extended target/group window. Never forget AAs can be used between casts too.
  3. Dirck New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any old clickies besides 1.0 and 2.0 I should be seeking out?
  4. Brohg Augur

1.0 obsolete with Blessing of Resurrection AA, but ornament is still cool :)

It won't be available for a lil' while, but when HH Sebilis opens back up, the Darkened Donal's Helm of Mourning offers a user-friendlier version of Lesser Yaulp to go in a multibind. It only reclicks once a minute, matching Yaulp's duration, instead of Lesser Yaulp reclicking every tick
  5. Judor Journeyman

For AAs I'd take a good look on the Focus tab. Most, if not all of those are NOT in autogrant, even below 105. There are focus AAs for all your heal lines to increase the amount they produce.

Epic 1.0, while obsolete is easy enough to do that you might as well, vs the 1.5 prequest. And I still use it from time to time when mana is nonexistent for blessing of resurrection. 2.0 is still very useful.

Get familiar with the extended target window - makes it easy to keep track of multiple tanks in different groups, as 1 cleric per group is really not a norm any more - less clerics in game with healer mercs available. Also use for NPCs that need to be healed in some scripts.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

I box a cleric so my information may not be as accurate as someone more experienced.

Yes, 2.0 is extremely powerful and yes you want it. You have an AA called divine arbitration that balances the HP of the group. It is extremely powerful for saving a group member a split second from dying. Hit divine arb and then cast a group heal. You don't even need to target the person going to die. Your epic 2.0 click is a divine arb, so you can use that ability twice as often if you have your epic.

For other powerful AA, set your sort type at the bottom to "can activate" and then look through them. Burst of Life for example is an instant cast heal. Great for saving your tank or otherwise. You have a lot of these. You also have a lot that boost mitigation, heal amount or the speed at which you cast. How you prioritize them is best decided by you based on what you like to use.

For passives, again it depends on your play style. Eventually you will want them all. If you are dying a lot you might focus on HP increases or melee defense (I prefer HP because it helps with AE spells too). But if you group with good tanks you will likely prefer your healing archtype AA first. I was with strong tanks so I went with healing passives, then HP and then defensives. Also your focus tab, but remember if you are using 110 spells they may not be affected until you have 5 ranks, so be mindful of how you buy your focus AA. At 110 it's going to be best to focus on one focus until it is to 5/6 so it works on the 106+ spell.

I went with healing passives first since they work on all spells all the time. Then did focuses after based on how often I casted each of them. I went to 5/6 so they worked on the 106+ spell and then moved to the next focus.

Remember to look at the expansion column. Most likely TBM AA are going to be auto granted when ToV launches, so you may want to skip a few of those and see if you get some freebies.
  7. Shanarias Augur

I think this thread belongs in the Veterans section.