Is it the game or my system?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Finfan, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Finfan Augur

Hello all! I just decided to come back again after several months and started a new Bard. When I logged in I ended up in Crescent Reach instead of the Mines of Gloomingdeep. I thought this wasn't normal but just rolled with it. Then when I quit instead of going to the server select screen everything went black and the game locked. It's done that twice now so it wasn't just a fluke. Is this a known problem or is my system just not up to the game anymore? It's a 3 year old Win10 desktop BTW. Thanks in advance for any info!
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If you head to PoK, there is an NPC that can punt you into the tutorial untill lv 12? I believe.
  3. Moldar Augur

This happens on my system a lot, I think it is a bug that occurs when you go to a "character select" screen.

Basically I just quit out of the game by clicking the Red X at the top of ending the program after I click "quit" from the character select screen.

It is annoying if you want to switch servers, but basically just close the game and re-launch it of you go to a character select screen.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I don't think it is your computer. I run windows 8 on an older computer

Is this the same account you used last time? And that was just a couple months ago? If so do any of the other characters behave correctly?

There are issues right now -you can search on these forums and find posts about the game not closing right. Black screens, lock ups, taking forever to even get to the old patcher screen etc

But I would do what Dthan mentioned and get to POK and ask Secalna Galnor to send you back to the tutorial. Although you should see that on your log in screen - return home, enter tutorial, play etc.

If you cannot get into the tutorial thru the character select screen then once you are in Cresent Reach head to the Blightfire moors - stick to the right side and slip between the rats and that side and just a few feet further you will see a book. That will send you to POK and Secalna stands right by where it sends you
    Duder likes this.
  5. Moldar Augur

To get back to tutorial from the character select screen you need to click "Go to Tutorial," to my knowledge that is the only way to get back in, and iirc it will fail after you're either level 12 or level 15 (i have seen a handful of those levels in there from time to time.
  6. xmPradah Not a dude

The "Quit" from character select taking you to a black screen is a known issue. I've been experiencing this on multiple computers across several accounts, for months. It's annoying, but as long as you camp out and don't leave a character in the world, Xing out and relaunching works fine.

When I'm done playing, I just /exit out anyway.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Secalna Galnor will also send you back once your in game. Just like there are two ways out - under the waterfall to Cresent Reach and go up to Arias and say "I am ready to leave" which sends you to POK
    Duder likes this.
  8. Player Two Augur

3 PC's with Win10. All behave as Finfan describes. Not sure when it started, because i'v not been away for 6 months. However it's beeen like that for the last two weeks. Just assumed it was "broken" in a Windows update.
  9. Kukaw Augur

Same thing here, on multiple machines as well. It seems to be random when it happens because it doesn't always do it. I've noticed it for about 3 or four months I think.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I never quit from character select. There is no reason to do that unless you are changing servers. Just /camp desktop.

I think there is an option to enter the tutorial on the character select screen. One option will take you into the world, but the other takes you in the tutorial. I think you can use it to get back into the tutorial even once you have left it, if level appropriate.
  11. Finfan Augur

So, defiant gear takes the place of an instrument? I noticed that even without having a drum equipped I seem to be getting percussion skill ups when using Selo's. I have one piece of Crude Defiant gear at this point, would that be the reason? Also I am really just winging it at this point. Does anybody know of a good Bard Guide that is still functionally correct? I seem to remember hearing something about Bards "twisting" songs, i.e. keeping several going at once. I was hoping I could learn to do that if it is still possible. Thanks!
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

I posted about twisting in your other thread. Use /melody #, #, #, # where # is the spell gem you want to play. Melody twists automatically for you.

Defiant gear does not take the place of your drum. You defiant gear has foci. Long right click your mouse on a piece of armor until the description window comes up. Look at the bottom of the item and it will say "percussion resonance".

Boots have singing
    Greaves have wind
    Gauntlets have percussion
    Helm has brass
    Vambraces have strings

If you have each of those 5 slots containing defiant gear, then you don't need to hold an instrument.

Instruments work from modifiers however. So if you have gauntlets with a "percussion resonance 10" and a drum you can hold with "percussion resonance 20", you can play selos while holding your weapons and wearing the gloves, but if you switch out a weapon for the drum you will run twice as fast while playing selos.

Resonance do not stack, so gloves with 10 and a drum with 20 does not work out to a modifier of 30. It just takes the highest value, so 10 without the drum and 20 with the drum.
  13. Finfan Augur

Thanks Vumad! I fear however that I am extremely slow on the uptake sometimes. So I can create a hotkey with "/melody 1, 2, 3, 4" written in it, and then if I click on the hotkey it will twist those four songs? Will they continue to twist until I stop them or do I keep having to mash the key? Sorry, but I've never tried this class before (which is the reason I chose it).
    Eggolas likes this.
  14. Eggolas Augur

Fortunately, it will wrap to the beginning. I've found that repeating it a second time in the /melody worked best (years ago I admit), so mine might be /melody 1 2 3 4 9 1 2 3 4 9
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes, yes.

The number of songs you can play changes as the length of the songs change. 4 is a common number but more is possible.

Also you should make multiple melody hot keys and multiple spell sets (right click on the spell book icon at the bottom of your gems window)

You can slow, cripple, snare mobs, dispell
    You can add haste, stat buffs, mana regen, spell damage, damage shields
    You can nuke, DoT and fear.
    And more

So you could have a /melody that is 1, 2, 3, 4 but then before the mob dies click a different melody that is 1, 2, 3 and 5 where 5 is a snare so the mob cant flee.

You are also going to want to change your song choices based on your group makeup. No slower? going to need to play slow. Weak tank? Might want that mitigation and HP regen over DPS. Lots of casters? definitely mana regen and maybe a spell proc. Lots of melee classes? Ditch that spell proc for weapon procs. Soloing? no mana regen or spell proc needed, use your DOT and nuke.

You can do literally everything every class in the game can do except heal. Its going to be a lot to take in.

And once you figure out how everything works with /melody, you will find that you can be even more efficient and manage more situations by twisting manually (num pad works but you can click spell gems too). Most bards have carple tunnel within a year.
  16. Finfan Augur

Thanks Vumad! I have a base group for starters now twisting a HP regen, combat buff, and Selo's (I want to be able to get out of trouble at least as fast as I get into it!) If staying away from damage spells since the could generate guard aggro if I forget to turn them off. At least I'm started now!
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not all of your damage spells are AEs. (Brusco's Boastful) Bellow is a single target direct damage song.

You should be able to melody 4 songs.
    Try out Jonthan's Whistling Warsong, Chant of Battle, Brusco's Boastful Bellow, Hymn of Restoration
    Once the mobs start getting harder, maybe switch out restoration or bellow with
    Largo's Melodic Binding

I understand what you mean about Selo's but set yourself up for success. It only takes about 2-3 seconds to get selos going so if you think things are going to go sideways you can always switch out your melody to prepare to bail. When that times comes, maybe create an escape melody... Selo's Accelerando, Selo's Consonant Chain, Hymn of Restoration

Just making sure you know Zam has a list of your spells in an easy to read format. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=&type=brd&level=30&opt=And Lower&expansion=&action=search