8th Ring - Chief Ry`Gorr on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warlord1999, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkb7777 New Member

Thanks Prathun. I know I hijacked this thread and asked about the shawl, but the same philosophy applies to that quest as well...unlike the ring event where I can bring a raid force to out dps competition, I can’t do anything to prevent someone waiting for the event to start and run over with their toon ready to steal the avatar spawn.

Even if nothing is coded different, just knowing there is a punishment for stealing the quest mobs should be a good deterrent.
  2. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

Can you look into the 8th shawl, too? Apparently anyone with the 7th shawl can turn in to the final turn in mob that is spawned from doing the fights. This is arguably easier to grief, too. It would be helpful if this was prevented before Luclin drops
  3. phaeril Augur

Or maybe just giving it the Marl treatment and making the avatar not de-spawn.
  4. phaeril Augur

Really anything short of transfering your "spawned for" flag throughout script triggers is going to be rough. Even then, since the spawn timer on Golidan (or whatever) is so long people wait for a pick to spawn. Pretty easy to just grab the chief and run it off into a corner and wait for the pick to close, you don't even have to steal the mob. Not to mention just killing the dwarves, lol.

Just make it so you can restart the quest there, fix Golidan's timer to be not idiotic for a modern server, and call it a day. You can't stop the grief on this one. You already made it so people can't start the quest there by stealing the chief... by leaving the mechanic in the state it is in, it actually promotes theft of the head if someone fails.

Make her give the marching orders back and cut her spawn time down. Nobody will grief if it doesn't stop someone from progressing and it will stop creating a backlog of people that can continue the quest by griefing (either because they failed or got griefed).

Only YOU can stop the grief train! Or don't bother at all, it will barely matter by next patch... Choo choo!
  5. Imukai Augur

This. Turn-in NPCs shouldn't despawn unless they were themselves spawned as part of a quest cycle -- and in that case should also be loot locked.

All of the "hidden shouts" the NPCs do to spawn each other, can't you append the name of the originator to the end of the shout and parse the string to preserve the loot lockout from end to end?
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Sounds like the "easy" fix for the 8th ring is to just have the Chief be spawned directly from the orders so that the loot is locked to the turnee rather than having the invisible men and the "lore" leading up to it. But I'm not sure if this is what he meant by heavy-handed and with the way EQ works I expect is a lot more trouble than I make it out to be.
    Krezzy likes this.
  7. Meridian Augur

You don't think they're actually going to enforce any of this, do you?
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I expect they will fix this particular step sure, they made an attempt previously and it worked for SOME steps. I don't expect it will be done before Mangler doesn't care anymore however but it might be nice for TLP 2020.
    Krezzy likes this.
  9. Zendien New Member

It's a shame the game doesn't have any way of letting you get your own instance of the zones so people can't KS your questmob. Oh well
  10. phaeril Augur

lol, instance for 8th ring
  11. Scruff Elder

not any less comical than having a specific AOC instance for the actual ring war :confused:
  12. Krezzy Augur

8th ring is soloable in-era, and doesn't disrupt a whole zone, so an AoC would be a bit more ridiculous than 10th ring war.
    Dythan likes this.
  13. Henrich New Member

Heavy handed ways?
    If I understood this right, You failed to do something right, and due to that, your answer is "heavy handed ways"
    Why not just do your actual job right?
    Thats some serial killer mentality right there.
  14. jkb7777 New Member

Gear down there big shifter. Just want a couple iconic quests tweaked up a bit.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Or, players could stop being bullies and abusive to each other and we wouldn't have to act like bouncers and take measures to control them.
    Thundersnake, Xhartor, Skuz and 5 others like this.
  16. Krezzy Augur

Man, if only.

If only some folks didn't drive too fast, we wouldn't need speed limits.

If only some folks didn't take whatever they could get their hands on when they didn't think anyone else was looking, we wouldn't need to lock our doors at night.

If only some few of us didn't give into our darker impulses while too many of us looked the other way, life would be so much simpler.

And because of those few, the rest of us are miserable unless we put measures in place to stop them.

Wishing won't make them stop or go away. Heck, they see complaints as part of their reward. PNP isn't viable. The only way I can see to provide the vast majority of players who don't grief with the nostalgic experience they pay for is, sadly, to put a measure in place that makes it impossible to grief.
    oldkracow likes this.
  17. Prathun Developer

Velious content has been in the game for almost 19 years now and predates everyone on the team.
    I'm happy to make adjustments to olde content like the 10th ring questline to make it a better experience. It was fun to do a deep dive into the quests earlier this year and reminded me of when I did the quests many years ago. Unfortunately, it is not simple or easy to lock an unrelated spawn to the character that does a hand-in. I'm left with options that are unconventional, complicated, and/or janky.

If you don't like 'heavy handed', replace the term with unconventional, complicated, and/or janky. :p
  18. Tierdal Augur

The problem is sociopaths exist everywhere, including Norrath.

This is why laws are needed. And enforcement by people with power is needed.

We, the players, have no real way to fight back against sociopaths.

Never understood why basic rules and enforcement was abandoned in EQ. It is pretty easy to confirm greifing on some things, like KSing Angry Goblin. Especially when players give you time stamps. Just set basic rules for this > 7 day suspension + item removed and given to player who spawned encounter. Most would stop doing this if there were consequences.

GMs are essentially encouraging sociopaths to be evil by removing all consequences for them.
    oldkracow and Krezzy like this.
  19. Krezzy Augur

Edit: Before saying anything else, a big THANK YOU for your willingness to address these things.

I'd suggest the following:
    Gloridain returns the Marching Orders, giving dialog along the lines of 'Very well, outlander. Let me know when you are [ready to strike] the Ry`Gorr orcs.

The key phrase spoken by a player with the orders despawns Gloridain and Garadain. Gloridain respawns a couple minutes later, allowing the player to trigger the battle by handing in the Marching Orders - which then causes the assault force, orcs (including the loot-locked Chief Ry`Gorr) to spawn. From here, proceed as normal.

If Marching Orders are not handed within 5 minutes, he despawns and respawns in his normal version. Gloridain also respawns immediately.
  20. Krezzy Augur

100% agreed.

Players can decide who they associate with in theory, but most will put up with someone they know who misbehaves if all their other friends are doing so. On servers with low populations, leaving a guild on principle means writing off the server. On servers with high populations, players can move on, but there is no lack of other players that will join up with the bad actors - either because they're giving the benefit of the doubt, or else simply don't care.

Community enforcement of any sort of standard of play looks to be at best a lost cause; at worst, a system to be gamed to the detriment of genuinely nice people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.