Exceedingly rare, get it while it's there.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MasterMagnus, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The Giant Skull Shield Ornament is back for a limited time, get it while you can.
    [IMG]
  2. Rayvorn Elder

Punisher approved!
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

This has been my favorite shield ornament ever since I had it. First picked it up when I was playing on agnarr. When I switched from agnarr back to live I even moved a character over from agnarr to live with a character transfer potion.

It's also great because if you are using skel-form, the shield properly aligns with your arm. A lot of other shields have this huge gap between your arm and the shield.

One weird thing I've noticed is that often times the appearance of the skull will be "off" a little. Sometimes it will look more broken than it is by default, and in other times I've seen it have a prominent pattern displayed in a darker color on the front.

I should take some screenshots, because it's pretty cool. At first I thought it was a graphics glitch but it never went away.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thank you! You are very kind.

What I've noticed is some Player Studio items have a bug with a part of the textures called a 'Normal map'. This controls how light reflects and is used to create some texture or shape to an otherwise flat surface (as everything is made up of flat triangles that are painted and rendered to give the appearance of rounding).

Sometimes ornaments get 'bugged' and are showing the proper colors (diffuse map) but are showing the normal map from an item you previously viewed, which doesn't match at all.

The effect is subtle and more noticeable on large items, with large patches of one color, like the Giant Skull Shield. Also you can almost always reproduce this 'bug' if you log in, and pretty quickly open the marketplace and preview a Player Studio item.

I'm guessing the client is still trying to load textures and it gives up, or sees there is something in the 'buffer' for a normal map and just pushes that.

Also EQs lighting and how it moves throughout the 'day' is odd. Sometimes you're seeing a wrong or nonexistant normal map being lit from an odd angle, and it just looks...odd. ;)

I've never thought it was much to worry about, but I would love to have them take an interest in our ornaments again to the point of fixing this.

Or who knows? Maybe they would even add in some of my robes that have been in the game files for years that have never even been made available.
  5. eqgamer Augur

Stumbled on your skeleton robe this morning before heading to work. I will be buying that this eve. I think complements the tbm beta hat nicely :)
  6. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Ah! Sounds like something that Bob Ross would call a "happy accident". From the way you describe it, it makes sense that in some instances, it looks intentional.

It's too bad you have designed robes that are in the files, but never made it. I'm curious, are you able/allowed to provide sample images?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You rock. You make a Bob Ross reference and you fall for my blatant fishing to post teaser pics ;)

Ask and you shall receive.

For any who care. These 5 robes were submitted on Feb 8 2018, and made it into the game files not long after (not just icons but the textures are there).

While it frustrates me no end why they claimed they would add these and still didn't, there may be all sorts of things (like legal hangups) behind the scenes I don't know, and I no longer have a contact there to ask about anything.

So be advised, I'll do anything I can to get these in the marketplace, but this may be nothing but a tease at this point, It's not looking good for them ever dealing with Player Studio again.

[IMG]
    the inspiration should be obvious for this one.

[IMG]
    Pay no attention to my typo on the screenshot. It's supposed to be Geo Encasement Matrix.

[IMG]
    Yeah that's a photo of a friendship bracelet I made for a belt.

[IMG]
    This was based on an image of a robe from another game someone posted on these forums long ago and I wanted to do my 'take' on it.

[IMG]
    This is one I planned to do a for a long time and kept my fingers crossed nobody else would do it.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Damn I would buy most of those! I really wish they would get the Player Studio going again with a team to implement the stuff you guys make instead of letting it sit idle and missing out on that revenue.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You have always been a huge supporter, and I really thank you greatly. </em bow>
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Cool Halloween tip.

The Halloween quest giver in the SW corner of nektulos gives a black fire steed for free that lasts up to 11 hours. It is for a Halloween quest, but you can leave the zone and keep the horse until it wears off, you go swimming or die. It is a single use item, but I think you can access it at any level.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Here are a couple of pictures of what I meant about the shield graphic being a little weird sometimes. I kinda like the effect in most examples, but from what MonsterMagnus said, I'm assuming how it actually looks will vary from one person to another.

[IMG][IMG]
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

[IMG]

It's not a bug it's a feature. How many looks can you get? :rolleyes:
  13. Vlad Diszno Augur

How small can the shield get?
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm not sure what you're asking. It can't be sized when equipped on a character.

You mean how small can it be sized when placed in housing? I've never experimented with that. But I could if that's what you're asking.
  15. Vlad Diszno Augur

i should have been more detailed in my question, but yes, I was wondering how small it can be made and placed in housing
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Knowing you I should have just done the experiment without asking ;)

Pay no attention to the 'normal map bug', I got that look on my guild hall plot.

Smallest is about the size of human fist I'd say. Largest is nearly human height, maybe a little taller than half elf?

[IMG]
  17. Vlad Diszno Augur

Thanks for the pics.
    Looks like might just work for something I have in mind, if other items I have yet to try don’t work.
    I should know if need it by the time it’s off the market again
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  18. Vlad Diszno Augur

I got one in Zombo’s Zany Manor, find it!
    Won’t be hard, actually.

There is another post w/ the address
    MasterMagnus likes this.