The EverQuest Show - Interview with Holly Longdale

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fading Illusion, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Fading Illusion Augur

The EverQuest Show - Episode 7 is up!

I was fortunate enough to have a full 2 days at Daybreak in San Diego to sit down with developers, artists and the Executive Producer for both EQ and EQ2, Holly Longdale.

The episode is nearly the full interview with Holly (Editted only for brevity and flow). I wanted to get the full interview out to you, which makes for a long episode, but I know you all wanted to see it in full. I think there is some good info here.

If you want a full transcript, I've already done that for you here:
    https://everquestshow.com/2019/10/16/episode-7/

Let me know what you think. There's a TON more coming in the next several episodes!

Enjoy!
    Fading
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Always quality work! Glad you were able to get this interview!
  3. Derresh Augur

[IMG]

ruined :D
    Axxius and Zaray like this.
  4. Fading Illusion Augur

Haha! Good catch!

I'm only human. And after editting for days on end, I'm surprised I didn't catch it.

It happens.

Fading
  5. Tucoh Augur

Great interview.

Interesting that they want to launch a new live server. I imagine they've got some new ideas to put onto that server to attract players, pretty interested to hear what they are.
  6. Fading Illusion Augur

(My apologies to Holly for the mispelling in the monitor graphic)
    Nennius and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  7. Horyuken Augur

Great Job! I like that she eludes to a lot of things they change COUGH riposte COUGH are things that are needed to keep the game preforming well. They should put in the patch notes *this change is performance based* to shut people up.
  8. -----Cinexa----- Elder

This episode gave me so many goosebumps. Thank you Fading - great interview. Interesting things were said - we wait & hope =)
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Great interview! Really polished and edited well! Some great questions asked and answered too!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Metapsyche Augur

Another awesome episode, can’t wait to watch more interviews with the rest of the team.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Fading you rock!

My opinion below (feel free to ignore)
    --------------------------------------------------
    [Cons]
    -I cringe when I hear (paraphrase) "we're always looking for things people want to pay for." Threads pop up regularly for illusions or petamorphs that are no longer in the shop (with 'take my money' memes). And Player Studio items that have been vaulted, or even robes that have never been released..hint hint again. You literally have items sitting around earning no money and you're casting about for things to sell? Why would you close the Player Studio if this is the case (nevermind, I think I know the answer).

[Pros]
    -'Cute things': total win. I love bones and blood, I'm a necromancer. But you absolutely can't go wrong with tossing a few 'cute' things in there. The pride rabbits were a great addition. Keep it up.

-Restating the Studio's 'Mission Statement': Given the current situation (vis a vis layoffs), this seems a great idea, to me.

-All the typical 'rah rah' for the team. It's nothing new really, but it's good to hear. Again Fading, great job giving us teaser clips of devs. We're on the edge of our seat for the run up to the 'prison' story.

[Not sure what to think]
    -The statement of will we/won't we do another Everquest game, was pretty masterfully worded. I'm not sure if that means re-investing in EQ1 (I like), or yes we're doing another Everquest game (I don't like).

I'm eagerly awaiting the 'mission statement' and/or any sort of statement after the layoffs.
    Nennius and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. Xanathol Augur

"We know what the players want". (tm)
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Derd Augur

Great show, thanks for all your hard work putting these together.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

Yeah, the bard one with Vainglorious Shout (mana cost increase not being necessary aside) is something I completely understood once I learned what was going on with monstrous pathing calculations bringing servers to their knees.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Super work! Excellent interview!

I know your day job probably doesn't allow it, but Daybreak should have you as a consultant/contractor (but then they would have more editorial control - so maybe not).

Looking forward to more episodes! Cheers!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Mintalie Augur

17. CrazyLarth Augur

18. Gremag Journeyman

Great job. You have an excellent speaking voice and camera presence; both uncommon and difficult traits to acquire.

I didn't know much about Holly and for years I didn't think much about her either. I saw her as the person who issued a yearly update letter to players (that she "had" to do) that was pretty much just pabulum for the masses. The "flutter into the meeting, make grandiose statements, take credit and run" employee.

I was wrong, and am very happy to find that out.

Great work Holly! I especially liked her story about first playing EQ as a dark elf and role playing. I did the SAME thing as a halfling. I came across a Dark Elf on the long descent from High Pass to East Karana in 1999 and role played a dislike of Dark elves, thinking that is how the game plays.

Now, twenty years later (omg) I box a dark elf in with that same halfling druid

However, one concern was when she alluded to designers and developers communicating up the chain what players want and what the game needs, with the implied message that the executives would counter those ideas with their own ideas. The problem is that DBG executive decisions have cratered their Planetside franchise. They've sown mistrust and vitriol in the community.

Design a good game that customers WANT to pay for. Do NOT design macrotransactions and tack on a pseudo game to act as a false front *cough* Planetside: Arena.

As a case study, I enourage DBG execs to read up on Wells Fargo bank. What happens when perverse sales incentives lead to unethical sales and product design. Hint: IT'S NOT GOOD.

Profit is GOOD. Unethical, short sighted cash grabs are BAD.

That said, I want EQ to thrive and profit. I have paid accounts, I buy heroic toons, I buy items. As long as those things have VALUE....not if they are crammed into the game and unethically sold/encouraged. I am NOT your piggy bank, I am your CUSTOMER.

Lastly, it's neat to learn things I had no idea about. Like how inventory, riposte, etc affect game performance.

Game devs have great and often punishing jobs. To the EQ team past and present, GREAT JOB. And THANK YOU.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Nennius like this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Wouldn't that be in reference to the level 85 server and its very quick progression?
    Tucoh and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Loved the show! You do a great job of producing it and you put your heart into it which really shows. I can also see your show relighting the spark for former players and igniting an interest in new players. Thank you for all your work.