How to get started with Empires of Kunark?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Oct 16, 2019.

1. hein Augur

Ok, after a week of talking in the forums and deciding the best route to take. I've decided to just box my SK 93 or 94, with my Bard 93 or Druid 93. I don't have the last 2 expansions, but if I'm having fun, I'll buy the new one that comes out in Nov or Dec?

I don't want to do AH all day every day to get to 110. I would rather play through and expansion and as an old school guy from the good old days, I'm interested in EoK.

1) How do I get started? How do I even get to the first zone?
    2) Will my SK with a bard or druid with a J5 healer and silver account wizard be able to box the content? My gear is probably average. I'm on the FV server.(leaning towards bard so I can focus more on playing the sk while bard plays songs and auto assist).
    3) Do I really have to keep doing AH till 95 or 96 before I can get started?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You can get to Lcea by using the "Fragment of the Combine Spire - Lceanium" from your guild hall transporter guy or you can go to the Nexus and talk to the ladys in the middle who will instant transport you free once your holding the stone they give you. Takes about 30 secs.

Here are some tips on how to progress

https://eok.eqresource.com/progression.php

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Through_Empires_of_Kunark

https://naroggsplace.wordpress.com/eq-empires-of-kunark-progression/

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Empires_of_Kunark_progression

and many more!

The mobs appear harder in LCEA than they do in FM.

At your level I would be over in Shards Landing. Good drops for your level and fun quests

Click on the quest tabs here to see

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=867
    Tanacious, Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  3. Paradisic_parasite Elder

You're gonna have a really rough time in EoK at level 95 with average gear. I'd advise getting 105 before you go there.
    Tucoh likes this.
  4. bortage spammin lifetaps

There's two guild hall ports, one is the third-most expensive port stone for the paid port and the other is the optional placeable iksar statue (I think this was a preorder bonus or maybe collectors edition? your guild may not have one) that go to Lceanium or Frontier Mountains respectively. Alternately, you can go through the middle of The Nexus to Lceanium by hailing some npc and sitting there for a few minutes.

I don't see how you could handle the mobs with a low-90s group, this was the third 105-capped expansion (I think third? tds > tbm > eok right?) so trash is around that level and hits fairly hard until you get some era-appropriate gear, sufficient AA and a full set of decent AC augs.

edit: took too long typing, way late to the reply-party!
  5. hein Augur

Can you make a recommendation on where to level then? Aside from doing mindless HA?
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

You could work on progression in RoF zones (level 96-100 expansion). If you work on the partisan quest lines in particular, the experience rewards from the achievements are substantial at that level. In addition, lots of gear drops from trash in RoF in all zones, so you can gear up a bit while playing.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

As I mentioned above "At your level I would be over in Shards Landing. Good drops for your level and fun quests" and I put a link in so you can check it out. Cool drops and fun quests
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

As Catspaw already said, Shards Landing. You could play through that whole expansion (Rain of Fear) while doing Into the Temple (B) (The Broken Mirror) to get tokens for that expansion's gear. Once you get to 105 and have full set of vendor bought TBM gear you will probably be ready for EOK.
    Alekzandre likes this.
  9. hein Augur

Can you make a recommendation on where to level? Aside from doing mindless HA?
  10. hein Augur

Great! thank you. I'll do the RoF progression till 105 and then attempt to move into the EoK. Appreciate the advice. Even regular mobs can drop gear upgrades for me?
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, its called fear touched and averages 2100 hp per item plus other stats. Even the named in that zone should be doable for you and drop more armor and nice weapons - all of it level 90 ish.
  12. Gundolin Augur

The RoF gear should be lower than what you're getting in CoTF, at least at level 100. While there were some fun quests in RoF, you also may want to finish the expansion of CoTF before going down. I liked a lot of working through the full CoTF progression, and would recommend you finish it.

Again, not trying to dissuade you from running the RoF quests and missions, but CoTF really is a great expansion, with fantastic gear. Doing Gribbles over and over is very boring, but the expansion has a lot more to offer than just the Gribble HA's.

Just my two bits
    Corwyhn Lionheart and CatsPaws like this.
  13. Tanise Elder

EoK will destroy you at 93. As stated RoF is good for that level. Also I believe CoTF is 95-100 and while HA can be a bit boring over time, the ones from that exapansion granted alt currency and had a slew of gear you could purchase from vendors. And the expansion had a ton of different missions. As I recall the zones themselves were challenging until 100+ but the mission difficulty is based on the highest level member of the group.

I returned a few years ago and was lvl 85 and pretty much went from 85-105 via those HA and Cotf progression (most or all of the HA are part of the expansion progression) and between that currency and some bazaar stuff was able to gear myself well enough to begin raiding again.
  14. blood & gufts Augur

You read forums and such, then you should know which levels each expansion are, so you should also know that eok is 105, it is the third expansion where max level is 105 and as such the hardest.
    You are level 93, 93, 94, and you only having silver accounts which means you dont have the best mercs, and mercs also max level 94, mobs in eok are 10-11 levels higher than what you fighting, which is massive increase.
    So you might wanna reconsider what you wanna do, as EoK are not an option for you yet. At silver, you also having low amount of AA, which does not make it easier as well. I think you should remain in CoTF and try to be outside HA and see how you handle it, my guess is that you will get your behind handed back.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

At 93 you could be looking at getting almost 1-shotted by the giant AEs in Lcea. Even if you find a group there, you need to be careful just being around certain mobs.

Keep an eye out for people doing hunter. T1 EoK is non-prestige and the gear rots. The right person can wreck house solo there. When I came back there was a monk working on hunter that would lay it down (for a solo monk) in Lcea and in other such zones doing hunter. It was pretty solid XP, plus I got all of the named loot.

As others have said, unless you are riding someone else's coat tails, you need to stay out of Lcea until 100-105.

You get there by taking the nexus. It's very quick if you want to save a few plat over the GH. I don't think it's faster from the PoK to go through the GL to the GH than the baz to the nexus.

Once you can get to EoK, you want to work on progression. There are zones in EoK and RoS where you really just can't survive without essence of the dragon (look at your progression ACH for EoK).
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As perviously posted I'd start with Shards Landing - Guild Hall portal will take you here
    100 I'd take a look at Ethernere - Guild portal - Yes CotF has some HAs but some of the zones are good too, the progression stories I found interesting and while they take you into HAs you don't have to repeat them unless you want too.
    105 You have a choice Tempest Temple/Katta, Plane of Health or Lceanium, all depends on how well you have developed your char and what mobs you can handle.
  17. Gremag Journeyman

Hello OP.

As other advised, I also advise. Reign of Fire expansion (Shards Landing being the first zone) is AWESOME. When I came back after a long break, RoF was an older ex pack so the equipment I got was immediately superseded by the next expansion's items. However, it was 100% worth all the time and effort. I had a BLAST.

RoF is a well made expansion, both new and full of nostalgia with revised older zones and lore. Really an incredible time.

And even though the equipment was quickly outdated after I left, it was still a major upgrade as I played through the content. And really, what matters to me is not being at the cutting edge of equipment, but having fun. And RoF was fun. I hope it is for you too.

If you want to gain a few levels prior to going, check out Veils of Alaris starting zones but be aware the named are VERY hard in that expack (at least they were to me).

Have a great time.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

Eok expansion is for 110 lvl toons. Not mid 90 level toons.

I would absolutely stay in rof expansion til 100 then cotf til 105 at the very earliest then try eok.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

I am sorry guess its lvl 105. My apologies.
  20. Metapsyche Augur

93-100 beasts domain

At level 100 start doing progression, you’ll want to complete CoTF, TDS, and TBM. By the time all of these are done you should have considerable levels and gear under your belt- now you’re ready for EOK
    Yinla likes this.