Daybreak games forever ruined their reputation, missed opportunity.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rayvorn, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Ah, thanks all, I apologize for speaking out of turn on the value of pre-orders.

I will say this.

I hope after taking money and developers off of EQ and investing in so many cancelled or doomed games they finally learned their lesson and agree with you that EQ is worth focusing on and re-investing profit from.

And I really hope they never attempt to make an EQ3 or anything like it. I'm hoping the unrevealed game they've been working on is just some stupid mobile game that won't take from EQ.
    kizant likes this.
  2. enclee Augur

Haha What good would that do? EQ just isn’t the best at the MMO part or RPG part.
  3. AcemoneyFV Augur

Every year it's, "this game will be gone one day." Well no sh*t. How long are you going to repeat that? Until the day you can finally say, "I told you so!"

This game has made it 20 years with a dedicated fan base. At this point, who cares when it disappears. I had a fun 18 years of playing. Look at how many promising MMORPG's have came and gone since EQ has been around, yet here it is, still standing.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My interest is in seeing it last as long as possible.

If you think treating your aging body the same as you did forever because it hasn't failed you yet is smart go right ahead. Heck even shout down anybody who says, "hey you might want to work out", "hah yeah the sky is falling!"

Smart money is on expanding your awareness of your surroundings and try to adapt to the changes in life. And be mindful of your age and how best to maintain yourself.

DBG sure is 'still standing', less the number of employees they just let go in the third round of recent layoffs.

But this body is strong, it's survived 20 years, "it's just a flesh wound".

If huddling in the delusional bubble that everything is peachy keen and "We're gonna be here as long as there are people to play our games" keeps you happy, fine.

I'd like to see DBG put their effort and money where their mouth is and focus on EQ again.
    Rayvorn likes this.
  5. Rayvorn Elder

Second all of this. There is no reason Everquest can't be the Tom Brady of MMO's. But right now the coaching staff is allowing him to get hit way to much. Improve the game plan.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. Rayvorn Elder

I want to add another poor management sign is the actual firing of their employees. It is common management knowledge that it is best to fire employees mid-week vice LATE on a Friday. While it's easier to fire someone on Friday for management because people have to get home and then you don't have to see them or other employees for 2 days, (which is weak DBG) it is actually a disservice to the employee. It's even worse you did it over a HOLIDAY weekend, so they have to think about it for 3 days without being able to act on it at all.

Mid-week is considered best by most standards because it allows the employee to start an immediate job search, file for unemployment, manage their bank accounts, and contact their network partners without interrupting them on a weekend (people are more willing to help during work hours then on their personal time).

The other thing is because you waited to the last minute, you are the last bit of news from the MMO community on most websites. This is because most major MMO websites don't update over the weekend (Unless there is a major electronics software show or event). DBG is literally the top story on the front page of every MMO website and racking up a ton of replies/conversations about how poorly DBG is ran. If you would of done this mid-week you would of been off the front page in 24 hours because the sites update the site 5-10 times a day and it would of pushed your news to the second page. Just horrible PR for DBG. Hope you guys figure this out and keep EQ's head above water because I am see years shaved off it's life just by being left in their hands. As Magnus stated above, we want the game to last as long as possible!
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Last round of layoffs happened on Bring Your Daughter To Work Day, time before that was 1-2 weeks before Christmas.

I'm guessing the layoffs come from higher ups, and appealing to the day to day staff will have no effect.

I doubt anybody that works in that office building plans in advance to fire someone on Bring Your Daughter To Work Day.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Rayvorn Elder

The higher ups are the problem or having no one in middle management not trying to push back. Being a manager isn't always about saying "yes sir/ma'am". Either way the system is just flawed. If the day to day employees/managers have zero say in anything then its an environment that will never promote growth. The best employees are the ones that believe in their product/company. I use to work at Microsoft and have several friends that work there, we had stock options in the company, employee discounts, and monitors threw out the building promoting Microsoft products (in their own building). This helped motivate employees to believe in what they are building/selling. None of my coworkers owned an iphone or a Playstation 4. (Btw Microsoft has many of their own flaws but they do some good things)

DBG does not have the money that Microsoft does but establishing a culture of pride in their company doesnt cost anything. Have a employee spotlight on their website promoting what their employees do. Welcome new hires, show tours of the facilities online. Short videos of what updates people are working on (small videos of employees working at their station). Remember when you or a friend made the evening news (for good reasons), you wanted to tell your friends and family to turn on the news to see you on TV. It felt good.

The Daybreak games website has had the same photos on it's website for 2 years. I would be willing to bet that some of the people on the website don't even work there or have since been fired. But since the last news update was from a month ago, they might of fired the guy who updates that website.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am a 5x lifetime subscriber and I will have to disagree and say Everquest is at the top. For me at least :)
    code-zero likes this.
  10. enclee Augur

I’m willing to bet that someone in HR or C-Suite thought that laying people off on Bring Your Daughter to Work day would make an incident less likely.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

uggggh yes, I stand corrected.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

To add to this discussion and some points are mentioned by MasterMagnus.

There's a lot of information about Daybreak on the Planetside reddit.
    Some interesting points directly from Planetside devs:
    • Devs feel like corporate arbitrarily fires people (i.e. an entire department was fired and re-hired, pink flips issued on "bring your kids to work" day and "worst case" happened).
    • Daybreak purchased "2 very high profile IPs" but these were not acted upon. Daybreak also had a failed e-sport project.
    • 2 devs (Wrel & UI programmer) are left Planetside 2.
    • Planetside 2 cannot be open-sourced/'d because of middleware licenses and NDA (this probably applies to EQ2 not EQ).
    Not from a dev: Daybreak raked in $150 million on H1Z1 (and, of course, $2 million from lifetime sub sales).
    Lots of Planetside 2 players (of which I am one) seem to think lifetime subs were supposed to help their game.
    Food for thought...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Bobokin Augur

Rose color glasses make a person see things that aren't there. If we weren't already here, we likely wouldn't be here. EQ1 is a hot mess, and it has been for a very long time.
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

@Cicelee, et. al.

Its that 15 dollars a month that tricks people into believing this is a partnership and not a business arrangement where the end user is the client. Though the arrangement feels like a partnership at times, this is still an entertainment relationship between a provider and a client. (Add low brow 'John' jokes here).
    Nennius likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

In what way? The last three expansions have been very good.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I thought the idea was to do it in a restaurant so no one would make a scene in public?

Never a good way to break this sort of news. Been there.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You can't riposte those posts anymore!
    Jhenna_BB and kizant like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

And soon we won't even be able to evade them easily.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You'll just have a longer cool down between post evasion.
  20. Bobokin Augur

TBL was horrible for casual players. The only recent saving grace was GMM, and now that has been changed for the worse. The raiders, boxers, bots have maxed out their teams, but many casuals have not even been able to do the tasks yet or have done very little if they have the levels.

Everquest could be so much more than it is.