FTP Learning Languages

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have grouped a FTP character several times with another character who knows all languages in an attempt to have the FTP character learn languages. After several minutes of language spam the FTP doesn't get any skill-ups. So, are there limits for FTP characters in learning languages?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nope, nothing to do with FTP. You have to put 1 point in the language thru the guild master for that character. Most people just make a hot key, set it to group and spam their own merc to raise skill.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmmm Even with 1 point in there is no increase in skill. I will persevere.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Are you using group chat? Iirc it seldom goes up in tells. And its not alaran?
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Group chat and I have tried in more than one zone. I will get back at it later today. Many thanks for the suggestions.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Hadal has a differnt way to learn too
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

can confirm CatsPaws suggestion worked just now, Troll Beastlord on FV server.
    Level 2, purchased 1 point in Human Tongue skill
    Changed my windows to Language->Human Tongue
    Made a hotkey:
    /gsay learn
    /gsay human
    /gsay the
    /gsay easy
    /gsay way
    Hired Human Merc
    Targeted Human Merc (I don't think you have to do this)
    Hit hotkey many many many times
    takes about 5-10 clicks for the first 9 skill ups (to 10)
    takes a lot more clicks per skill up thereafter.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Try using more words (or groups of letters and spaces) in your sentences. I've heard it makes skill ups go faster, but I haven't tested it. Would love to hear your results.

Unless they changed something recently, I think I've always been able to master languages in just a few minutes using a spam key like MasterMagnus's.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I use "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" since it contains all the letters of the alphabet.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You don't need to put 1 point in languages anymore.
    You do need to talk in group chat while you are in the same zone.
    What zone you're in doesn't matter.
    The length of your chat doesn't affect skill up rate.
    Your intelligence stat affects your skill up rate.

When using a hotkey, it usually sends from the last window you talked from. So if you have 2 windows and you set window 1 to the language, but you don't set window 2, and then you talk from window 2, using a hotkey may not work until you talk from window 1 or set window 2 language.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. AcemoneyFV Augur

You can literally put one letter per line and have it go up pretty easy. FV player here as well and just did this with my box to max all of his.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

I found the solution. I had changed to another language in one of the two chat windows I have up on the teaching character. I changed it on both windows and now it works. Rookie mistake.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Karve_AB Journeyman

fill every line of a macro with words , the skill-ups are fast, and can be done from 0.
    I know, I learned all of the languages to 100 last weekend while waiting for someone to show up.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Since I was the first one to suggest using more words on each chat line, I decided to do a test:

Setup: Two separate groups using different 5-line macros, one with a single character on each chat line and one with full chat lines (251 characters). Each group had a lvl 2 enchanter with 142 intelligence. The "single character chat line" group also had a level 68,147 intelligence berserker, while the "full chat line" group had a level 1, 60 intelligence berserker. The idea behind the berserkers was to test whether the strength stat would take the place of Intelligence for learning languages (like it does with blacksmithing).

Below are the results. I took a reading at Barbarian 25, 50, 75, and 100.

To skill level 25, it took 62 key presses:
    1) single character per chat line, int142
    2) @ skill 23, single char per chat line, int147 lvl 68 berserker
    3) @ skill 19, full chat lines, int 142
    4) @ skill 18, full chat lines, int 60

To 50, 157 key presses:
    1) single char per chat line, int147 lvl 68 berserker
    2) @ skill 48, single character per chat line, int142
    3) @ skill 43, full chat lines, int 142
    4) @ skill 36, full chat lines, int 60

To 76, 247 key presses:
    1) single char per chat line, int147 lvl 68 berserker
    2) @ skill 66, single character per chat line, int142
    3) @ skill 66, full chat lines, int 142
    4) @ skill 44, full chat lines, int 60

To 100, 405 key presses:
    1) full chat lines, int 142
    2) @ skill 99, single char per chat line, int147 lvl 68 berserker
    3) @ skill 91, single per chat lines, int 142
    4) @ skill 66, full chat lines, int 60

As a bonus, I also skilled up Dragon on my 2444-int druid (level 110) along with the 142-int chanters (level 2). These started at 1, not zero like the others. I used the "single character per line" method. The druid maxed out at 100 in just 29 key presses. The 142-int toons were only at 9 and 11. The 60-int toon was only at 3.

Conclusions:
    1) Intelligence makes a real difference, and seems to continue adding benefit well above 147. Where is the cutoff, or is there one?
    2) The number of characters in the chat lines make no difference at all.
    3) RNG is real: Notice how the "winner" in the end was in 3rd place at the first 3 check points.
    4) It took as little as 405 keypresses to bring a brand new toon to 100 in a language.
    6) Max level toons can max out new languages in under 30 key presses. That's about 30 seconds :)

And thanks to Beimeith who said most of this already ;)
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well I thought that one was obvious so that's why I didn't say it ;)

My skillup key consists of 1 button:

/g a
    /g b
    /g c
    /g d
    /g e
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  17. Nniki Augur

The slow rick roll for your friends...

/g We're no strangers to love
    /g You know the rules and so do I
    /g A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
    /g You wouldn't get this from any other guy
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I think I have ran into this before where I was trying to figure out why language skills were not working.
    Be nice to have language set all the windows to the same language. When I change language it seems logical I'd want to speak that language in whatever window / happened to direct me to.

Edit:
    I remember the issue now.
    I changed language to try to teach someone.
    I ended up in some obscure language when I was done.
    People said they couldn't understand me in /gu (I use one window and /whatever for real chat, I don't need 500 chat windows)
    I changed language to common
    It did nothing to fix my /gu comments.
    I had to fix the language in the right window.

That's probably a bug. I can't ever see a reason to have different windows in different languages.