Totally Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Candeth, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Candeth New Member

I decided to splurge and make a Heroic character, this may or may not have been a good idea but now I definitely want to play around with a more advanced guy, problem is I have no idea what I am doing and can barely complete the first few quest without getting killed.

What I am wondering is what would be the absolute easiest class to play as a fresh player with a heroic boost? I just want to hunt creatures and maybe do some quest lines for content that is my level.
  2. Fanipak frootsnak New Member

Best thing to do with a heroic character regardless of class is go do your j5 Merc quest in the dream. Should take all of 5 to 10 minutes top. If I can make a suggestion though, research each class before you stick to any main character. (after 3 levels on a heroic character you can't remake them.) If you like to Nuke stuff go with a wizard. If you like to beat stuff senseless with a big axe, go with a beserker. If you like to sit back and do your taxes while a pet does all the work and you ocassionally throw a Nuke or a heal out, go with a mage.

The one thing I will say is that even if you pick a dead simple, pure dps/heals/tank class, there will be intricacies you have to learn to perform to the best of your abilities. My advice to you is once you choose a class you wanna try out make the class then go sit in the lag pile in plane of knowledge. Set up your hotbars/ hotkeys/ spells. Get free buffs. And go through your AA's and read each and everyone one of them. Look up what they do. Figure out your rotations based off of that information/ forum suggestions. Check out the class forums on here! Check out Alakazam for quest guides. Check out almar's guide for a basic "where to go @level __". Good luck! Have fun! And take your time, the games been around for 20 years, it's not going anywhere soon.
  3. Candeth New Member

I have a 85 druid right now, when I look at a guide it talks about so many different spells.
    Is there a few spells I could put on my hotbar just to be able to walk around and hunt level 85 stuff?

Not optimal play but just so I can not die with my merc.
    Fanipak frootsnak likes this.
  4. Eggolas Augur

The easiest class to play for hunting and questing? I'm going to say a pet class such as Mage, Necro or Beastlord. I was also going to mention Monk. Therefore . . . Beastlord. Second place goes to Magician.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Right-click an empty spell gem. You will get a spell tree with basic descriptions (Direct Damage, Heal, Buffs, etc).
    Some tips:
    - Buff before fighting. Always.
    - Load a variety of damage over time and direct damage spells, along with heals and an evac (Transport) so you can get out of danger quickly.

Bear something in mind...Everquest is MOUNTAIN of a game. People who have literally been playing for decades still work on mastering the game. While that may seem daunting, the beauty of the formula is that the work you put into your character feels like an accomplishment. Spend some time learning your character in lower level zones where you can earn a bit of XP without risking death.
  6. Candeth New Member

Ok, I have switched to Heroic Beastlord character hoping the pet will help me.

Is the j5 merc quest the one that is right at the drop? The merc upgrade quest?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You have to be a paid account to do the J5. It should be in your quest window already on a heroic.It is made to be easier than other things in that zone and you will get paths that show you where the next step is.

But its not so much the class as the fact they made heroic start in Feerrot - which is pretty hard for that level.

After you get your merc go back to pok and talk to teek (not the one that give the HA) and get the daily hot zone quest for level 75 and 80 and 85. Now go start in the 75 zone and see how it goes. Then go the the level 80. You must get all quests at one time or it locks you out till tomorrow.
  8. Fanipak frootsnak New Member

Hey a fellow druid! I've got a 110 druid so I might be able to help a bit more. At level 85 you need to read this:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/heroic-druid-information-oct-2018.251904/

This should be your Bible for the next couple of levels. It's got great information on what to do, what spells to use/AA's to use/gear clickies to use/get. Personally once I got my first set of AOE damage spells at 91 I went right to kiting mobs and basically leveled myself from 91 to 110 that way (with plenty of Gribble's Heroic adventures/TBM quest lines/LFG). Good thing about druids is as long as you're outdoors and the mobs don't summon or stun you, you're going to be right as rain. Here's a good starter guide on kiting methods/play styles:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:_Quint_Kiting

I hope these help! Keep on trucking, a good druid can do some amazing things!
  9. Scorrpio Augur

You got to keep in mind the following: EQ is a group game. Up to a certain point, one can easily solo (or molo, which is solo with merc), but by 85, that point is long past. Some classes, when driven by a skilled player who really knows the class, can molo all the way to 110, but that can be quite tedious. In general, in EQ, an even con mob wil rip a solo player apart in toe-to-toe. It is not like, say, Lord of the Rings Online, where my Warden can pull 5-6 even con mobs at once and dispatch them all.

A druid can be quite versatile. With a J5 merc tank, a druid can buff and heal the merc, while popping the mob with DoTs and nukes. Can debuff the mob, can snare the mob so it moves real slow - and then kite if room allows. Harmony spell line helps to get single pulls. And if things go real bad, there's the evac button (Exodus).

Mage can set up a tanky pet, equip it with summoned weapons and such, and run a healer merc. Pet tanks, merc heals, mage nukes. But a multiple pull can be deadly. A necro can feign death to split pulls or escape sticky situations. Beastlord is more resilient, can take a few hits to help the pet.
  10. Fluid Augur

Couple of notes, your Heroic, no matter what class, comes without any augments. Cart-horse thing where having all augment slots filled will make your character maybe 30% more survivable but getting them w/o a J5 merc is tougher.

I haven't run a Beastlord through the J5 merc upgrade ever. For my first time it was a Magician with a J1 healer merc. The merc and Magician could both buff the pet before a fight and both could heal it during the fight. I found the most important thing was to single pull MOBs. Every once in a while you will get an add from a wandering MOB, I just bailed out when that happened with gate. You really have to be careful of blundering into camps too. With a J1 merc, it is pretty much instant death if wander into a camp.

You can have a partner for the quest! In the previously mentioned Magician upgrade, I did it on FV as part of creating a presence on that server. The Magician just repeated the quest with other characters on a second account Boxing two paid accounts, I think I have grouped two characters at a time for the upgrade. For that matter, you could find someone with a high level character to join you for the upgrade. If you can't find someone in game and want to go that route, tell your server name and you will probably find someone here that will join you on the quest.
    Duder likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

EQ is one of the most overwhelming games because it's had year after year of stuff tacked on top with very little work done to remove features.

This is exactly why I'm still playing instead of getting bored with it in a couple hours like I did when I went back to WoW earlier this year.

But it makes for a tough hill to climb, I recommend starting small, killing light blues and slowly learn the game as you balance playing the game and learning the game.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  12. Gana Augur

Shadowknight...get a healer merc until you learn what you are doing...then use it for buffs and put it away. Start getting AC augs, make sure you get your epic 1.5 (and 2.0), dominate the world.
  13. Petalonyx Augur

Pet classes (mage/beast/necro) are the easiest and most recommended entry point for new and returning players.

/pet kill, and a Healer Merc will give you time to figure stuff out. You might not kill stuff super fast, but u will survive and learn. Read up on Enhanced Minion earrings and keep yours updated as u level.

Pure DPS classes have it rough because they have to chose between a tank or healer merc, and they end up missing out on tanking or healing.
  14. Candeth New Member

Just wondering how do I get to a level 75 area from the fearrot, my maps seem to show nothing and no idea where that would be heh
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Once in POK you can go to one of the Teeks and grab a kill 5 mobs in different zones based on your level. Get a couple at one time since it will lock you out till tomorrow. Like level 65 and 70 and 75 or whatever. Then go to that zone (this time use your map and look at zone guide in upper right - click that and set your end zone to where you want to go and it will make a path like the find key does) and once in that zone all exp is bonus on bonus and you get nice armor and maybe an aug as a reward
  17. Judor Journeyman

My Druid's lineup has stayed pretty much the same forever - best Direct Damage in top slot, followed by 2 or 3 Damage over Time spells - these vary a bit depending on group, but usally are on the drones (magic) line - the fire lines do a debuff in addition to damage. Below that I keep snare, fast heal, group heal, damage shield, then last couple slots are ports, with succour always in bottom slot.

Something you might consider is running a toon through the full tutorial, including the ones from lady in POK - helps get a handle on basics of the game, and the particular class. level 1 - 10 can be done in a few hours of play time, and you'll see the basis for skills/spells that are used all the way to 110. If you don't enjoy how that class plays, you don't have a ton invested, delete and roll another. If you are on a paid account, you have 8 slots to start out with - use the toons you don't like at the moment as bank/bazaar mules.
  18. Transporter Lorekeeper

Personally I prefer to work my way up from lvl 1 as you miss a lot of stuff content wise and more importantly you don't get the gradual evolution of the character. You learn those spells, tricks etc as you gain spells, discs learn mob mechanics in the various zones. Jumping to 85 you're throwing in all the stuff you never learned, spells, aa's, combinations you'd have learned now you're trying to go to the pro league having never even graduated Pre-K. Just my thoughts and I have an army of max lvl toons, exp is the easy part, knowing what you're doing is the hard part with heroics. As I said to each their own. Hopefully someone can give you insight with a brief rundown on some basics for whatever class you go with. Impossible to give you direction to make you "skilled" without the trial and error through learning progressively.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

All classes are hard to play exceptional, but some classes are hard to play even mediocre.

The classes not to play with a heroic (in my opinion) are probably any of the tank (warrior, SK or pally) or a main healer (cleric, druid). Not that they can't be played but you are going to be thrown head first into a critical role and it can be frustrating. I know this from my experience as a heroic buff as a healer in WoW. My group sent so much hate my way I didn't stick around very long, and I had experience as a cleric in EQ.

Druid is okay if you ask your group to use you as a backup healer. Shaman is okay too under the same situation. Druid can DPS and shaman can buff and debuff while you practice healing.

Bard is easier with /melody, but explain to your group you are not ready to pull, mez or charm yet.

Enchanter is okay but explain you need the adds to be at less than 1.

Any DPS class is going to be easy to play at merc quality, but hard to play well, which is okay.

Only a few classes are easy to molo (solo with a merc). Tanks and psuedo tanks. Sk, War and pally, which I said above are not great to start with, are great choices if you want to molo. You don't have to worry about screwing up and pissing off your group. If you want a tank class, you can molo a bit to get the basics down, then go to a group and learn to hold aggro.

Mage, BST and to some extent the necro are great starter heroics because you have a pet to tank for you when solo'ing and can very easily do you job in a group.
  20. Tucoh Augur

As a different perspective, I recently leveled up some new characters from 1 and I am totally sick of constantly gearing and getting new spells for them. They are 106 now and I'm glad to finally be on the last iteration of spells and gear. Though the next expansion is just around the corner :D