Mages still use cotf casting augs?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Rngr0122, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rngr0122 New Member

Specialize evo and conj ones? Have an alt and was thinking about trying to get em if needed.
  2. Brohg Augur

Evo at least.

There's a thing where folks pick the balance of AC/HP/mana/+spell they're comfortable with on augments, like weighting, ya? For some hundreds of hp, they're willing to give up a hundred mana, that kinda thing, and vice versa. When assigning where the +% spec augs rank, count them like 0/0/many_thousands/0. They're very good, and get better even for stronger players, since they're worth more & more mana with every spell cast.

There are some players in very strong guilds whose characters are wearing the best gear who can't functionally use all the mana they have inside any encounter they care about. For them, the mana is nothing, and so you may see the "paragons" eschewing this augment. Also, the dipsh…dipsiedoodles chasing magelo rank will replace this aug with a raw stats one, to impress magelo's rank system. Ignore all of these, and also ignore the people who copy them out of ignorance.
    Bigstomp, Tour and Sancus like this.
  3. Rngr0122 New Member

Gotcha, appreciate the answer
  4. Petalonyx Augur

I think I should probably put in the evo augs and reclaim the spell slot I gave to harvest. :) but then again, the mana recovery after death is needed... hmm.

I haven't used the augs yet because you really need all the HP u can get in TBL. I dont recall any recent encounters where mana was an issue, so I've just let the augs rot in bags so far. Maybe when i tried to down karzok in OT, ST, and Goro without the manadrain blocker AA (but even that was ultimately successful).
  5. Rngr0122 New Member

Great replys..really appreciate. Also, which form do people use? I heard fire has stacking issues?

Additionally rotation im using, chaotic rs 110 spear 105 spear good? Thanks in advance..
  6. Brohg Augur

I go water.

Be sure you're stepping out of that rotation enough to keep Theft of Essence active on your pet, via Volley of Many.

As long as there aren't mezzed mobs about, and you're not that moment running Spire+Heart, Rains of Knives & Molten Rhyolite will be very very good. Better than Spears.
  7. Rngr0122 New Member

Cool, ill use that one also.

Copy that forgot about it, will be sure to make sure i keep that on in the future.

Will use rains more thought it was nerfed ttoo bad to use
  8. Brohg Augur

The much lamented nerf just soft-capped their performance to not go nuts during burns
  9. Piemastaj Augur

Fire 100% of the time.
    Mintalie likes this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

FWIW I parsed the evocation aug at 2.25% decreased mana cost. It took my Spear of Molten Shieldstone Rk. II from 4689 mana to 4585.

Re: Elemental Form: Fire, I just hit 96 on my mage group and got the first buffing rank of it. It's only 5% chance to proc vs 15% in its final form but I set up a gina trigger to show me when it goes off. I'm pretty excited to see how it goes. With four mages casting and at 15% chance per cast, I should have it up around half the time. It's post-crit damage though, unlike the mage synergy.
    Why do you go water? Is there a stacking issue I don't know about?
  11. Mintalie Augur

I just unequipped both of mine a week ago after finally upgrading all of my raid pieces, so I would say they're incredibly useful for any mage not at the top tier of raiding.
  12. Brohg Augur

Just like having mana. And pretty casual, never even maxed out fire form so I still have the low% proc version, which is unattractive to me in its inconsistency.
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. Piemastaj Augur

50 Mana regen OP.....

As to the Evoc and Conj augs I still use both. There isn't a different aug that will add realistically any meaningful increase over them.
    Brohg likes this.
  14. Sancus Augur

I can't speak to what you don't know, but SPA 124 (which Elemental Flames uses) only takes the highest active focus. Heart of Flames (up for 6 minutes out of 15) is a better focus, so you can't use Elemental Flames counters while it's up. Flames of Power (the proc from Chaotic Inferno) is also superior to Elemental Flames. If in a group or raid with ADPS, Aria of Begalru is a 45% focus (vs Elemental Flames at 65% average). While you will be able to consume Elemental Flames charges with it on, the DPS benefit is notably lower.

So, it's not going to block anything, but its potency is definitely diminished by the numerous other SPA 124 effects with which it does not stack. If you're in a raid with full ADPS it does very little (nothing if the raid is shorter than 6 minutes). In groups there are fewer other stacking issues, but I'd argue the mana regen from Elemental Form: Water is also more useful in group settings.

Personally, I always use Fire because, while it's quite weak, it's the only elemental form that contributes to DPS. That said, I don't really see it as suboptimal to use Water in group settings (or Earth in certain settings) given Fire's low potency.
    IblisTheMage, Brohg and Tucoh like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

On raids, I use fire form because it is the only form that specifically increases DPS.

When I solo/box I use earth form because the most important thing to me is not how much DPS I do, but rather making sure my pet is alive. Earth helps with that.

When I group, it depends if the tank wants the earth proc. If not, then fire.

As far as the spec augs goes, there is no augment in the game that will provide a better result for a magician than either the evocation or conjuration augs. I will say if you are in a group and can chain cast spells for 30 minutes straight with no downtime at maximum DPS, then you can probably get rid of them. But seeing as to how that is not feasible, then use them. At the very minimum the evoc one...
  16. Randel Flag Elder

I use the evo aug and Fire form,
    also NEVER use gather mana crap, with monster summoning for death recovery in second there is no need.
    I haven't solo'd in a long time but I mite start trying water form again for the noob box mages who do fall behind a lot on mana compared to my main.
    Szilent likes this.