Does anyone (Besides Me) actually play this game because it is group focused?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Midnitewolf, Oct 4, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

Perhaps what you fail to understand is that some peoples view of cooperative play will lead to other people deciding that they'd rather start a couple more accounts and just box instead.

When you are 2 weeks into an expansion and the tank has a player kicked out a group because that player didn't have Rk II of a buff yet that's a problem. When you have a shaman constantly overwriting your buffs while you are trying to pull and causing people to die that is a problem. When the Cleric and the Paladin are cyboring and you are asked to pull slower that's a problem. When you join a group and are told what songs to play and you can look at the composition of the group and know that's not right it's real problem
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

For me, back in the day, I started simply because they had a Necromancer class (being a D&D fanatic).

In the old old ui, if you picked Human Necromancer Innoruuk it said this combination was High difficulty and you would be hated by many including in your home city. awesome

I would be fine to group with people but I didn't know anybody and I wanted to experience it at my own pace. That was immersion to me.

I used to run back the room where Opal Darkbriar stood to log off each night. I could have leveled faster by not doing so.

There is no other game that matches that experience including TLPs.

It was a moment in time that won't be relived.

Over my career I've grouped and been in guilds (very very small guilds) but I just like to solo. Never been max level, that's not the journey, for me.

As to your desire for more to group with, I wish you nothing but the best of luck! Carry on!
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Machen New Member

If you don't want it to turn into an argument, don't present it as an argument. You gave a number of examples why players that didn't want to group with you were in the wrong, how they would be earning more xp with you in the group. Never mind that your facts were incorrect. You came ready to argue.
    Oakenblade likes this.
  4. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

The game is what you make it.

Yesterday I loaded up my box team, no one I knew was on so I went in LFG and found people level 1 to 10 and asked them if they'd like help leveling.

I helped 3 random people and chatted with them as my box team helped. Was a fun time for me and them I gather.

Other times I log in and 6 box, sometimes I log in and 3 box, sometimes i just sit in EC tunnel and trade for no reason than it's fun to me to make deals. You can constantly look around for the bad but at the end of the day you responsible for your own entertainment.

There are so many different play-styles in EQ you can find a niche that works. I hope you do.
    Even with complaining I do I still find EQ the most enjoyable experience overall even with the issues it's currently having.
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Most people who like EQ still like the cooperative style. The problem is the current TLPs simply don't offer this, so like 75% of the player base that does just quits. Then you're left with a bunch of forum warriors and RMT boxers that swear boxing is good for the game doing all the speaking. But anyone that's honest and has played on multiple TLP can see the TLPs that had the least boxing Phinny and Agnarr were the most populated and successful by a long shot.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

All the original devs designed EQ to be a group focused cooperative game. Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative about us "evil anti-boxers" But it's just it how the game was designed.
  7. Dahaman Augur

Everquest is a game that has absolutely tremendous character growth, perhaps more than any other game in existence. This game is just as much about the journey as it is about the end game, if not more.

You can continuously, for years, progress your character at the pace desired. You can do this if you have 30 minutes per session or 5 hours per session. A lot of people don't get that EQ has this ability and has had it for most of its existence now. Yet last month, someone told me "EQ is not the game for you" when I mentioned I XP for an average of an hour per day. They were so very wrong.

You can play EQ solo, as a grouper, or as a raider. The designers may have originally meant for the game to be a grouping game, but that original design was out of date, quite literally, already by very early 2000s. People today still don't get that you can solo, group OR raid in EQ with tremendous success. Even in this thread someone still makes the comment that EQ is designed as a grouping game.

You can play EQ solo, as a boxer, or as a grouping player. The term "MMO" includes multiplayer. This does NOT mean people always group with each other. This means that others run around in the game. It means that people can buy/sell, trade, talk to, help, hurt, give, steal, etc. with each other. Just the other day, someone came up to me and asked if I had found an item on my adventures. I had. I gave it to them. They thanked me and we bid each other great adventures. I've had people help me in turn as well. And still, there are people that insist that playing "solo" in a multiplayer game is not playing right in an MMO.

Everquest is simply much more than any one person can play. No one person can play EQ in every aspect, experiencing every thing there is to do. There is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do, than can ever be done. (bonus points for recognizing that song quote!)

In Summary:
    - EQ has the most solo content of any game out there
    - EQ has the most group content of any game out there
    - EQ has the most raid content of any game out there
    - EQ has the most box content of any game out there

Does it make sense now? I hope the above wasn't too intense on my passion for the game.

Cheers!
  8. Midnitewolf Augur

Except in my experience that has never been correct. As I mentioned, I can't recall a single time playing the game where I progressed faster solo than I would have if I had been grouped and generally speaking never experienced a time where a duo was faster progression than an entire group. That is how the game was designed. So the facts that I have available to me, support what I was saying and based on that it doesn't make sense to me that it seems the overwhelming majority of people currently playing EQ prefer to solo. Its not arguing about what play style is right or wrong.

Also are you so sure my facts are wrong. Let's say we have a guy PL'ing an alt. Do you really believe that he can PL his alt faster solo than if he had someone else similar level to his alt in the group as well? I mean he has a finite DPS available and the MoBs have finite health. If the MoB has 5000 health and he can do 50 dps solo, then it will take him 100 seconds to kill the mob. Add another player with 50 dps and now it take 50 seconds or half the time but now you are getting a XP bonus because you have an extra party member. Or how about the 2nd member pulling while the 1st finishes off the MoB which also increases the pace of killing. Honestly, unless your in enclosed place where the killing pace is solely dictated by the speed of the respawns, there seem very few situations where adding a 2nd or 3nd member to the party isn't a benefit.

But your right, that is neither here nor there. The reality is that people seem to have reasons, logical or not, real or not, that have them leaning to the solo game. I don't get it or understand it but that is the reality of the situation.
  9. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Oof, if only you could see how cringey the “dOeSn’T fIt YouR nArRATiVe” cliché is, and how damaging it is to anything you say that COULD potentially be an otherwise decent argument.
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

iF I RaNdoMLy CaPitaLIze LeTErS iT MeANs YoUr ArGuEmenT IS BaD

Well that proves it the devs totally originally designed EQ to be a game for multiboxers.
  11. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Cool straw man bro. You totally just crushed the argument that I never made. The fallacy gods are surely smiling down on you.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Do you mean Bristlebane?