/pick ... Lets Get This Over With

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by yosco, Oct 9, 2019.

1. yosco Augur

Test update:

I think I understand what the devs are trying to accomplish, but does anyone actually think this is a viable solution or won't be immediately circumvented? Is this fixing only a TLP issue? I don't see this issue on Live, especially since /picks were setup to close if the base zone's population is under the threshold to open a pick.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Well now how am I going to farm the same named mob in multiple picks now?

(full disclosure, I've only done this a few times and I never contest any named mobs #lifeistooshort)
    Zunnoab likes this.
  3. yosco Augur

I'll admit to doing this once or twice, too, if the camp and a pick were open. If someone else wants it, I happily go back to just doing my single /pick or base zone camp.

Now? I'll still do it, but I'll just keep a non-kos mage in the /pick to coth over our group.
  4. Xorsazis Augur

This does happen on Live. I recall Darkened Sebilis having 4+ picks being camped by the same person just picking over and killing. I also recall them splitting their bot army up to monopolize multiple picks at the same time.

If there is something people want and will pay for, some jerk will monopolize and monetize it.
    Moldar, Mintalie, Duder and 2 others like this.
  5. Dahaman Augur

Live servers with the same crowd and static zone potentials will have the same issues as TLPs.

It's preventing "rude" people's ability to hop picks to hog a camp across multiple picks. This is a good thing.

It's destroying regular folks' ability to "play nice" and swap picks to find an open camp after they work to get to the place they want/need to camp and find it busy. Increasing the cost to play nice is going to move more people to play rude. This is a TERRIBLE thing.

The bad > good in my opinion. However, time alleviates (or right out eliminates) the issue even better in either case.

Posterity Note: On Coirnav, I experienced the "play nice" situation a lot more than the "rude" situation. This might be due to partially and purposefully avoiding the hotly contested areas and sticking to lesser traffic areas. Also, I haven't used /pick on Coirnav in months due to lower population and going thru 5 months of instance zones.
  6. yosco Augur

In the one example I have where someone was camping multiple picks of the same zone (hardcore heritage Old Seb -- the crypt area), we simply parked our group in the middle and insisted that they share. It didn't become an issue because the person knew they were being a buttface.

Imagine that zone now... you run down to the crypt area with your group clearing most of the way, find it camped, and then get to /pick over and do it all over again.
  7. Lianeb Augur

Imo pick zones should have always been like this. However, with the not so recent changes to the base zone requiring a set population to keep a pick open will be more detrimental that the way it was.

Oh this camp is camped /pick
    Fight back to the camp
    Oh look now this pick is shutting down in 15 min
    Net wasted time fighting to to the camp twice and never being able to camp anything
  8. Dahaman Augur

That is a great example of how the change is a discouragement to those that play nice. Most people will still pay even that cost, because most people do play nice.

I just don't see the need to punish most people if it can be avoided.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Picks should not close if there is an active group in there killing.
  10. yosco Augur

And yet, they do.

At a certain point extraneous picks will close down if the population in the main zone and (maybe) the populations in the other picks don't necessitate having more open. DBG did this to limit strain on whatever hardware handles picks/instances. People were opening up picks and then would constantly leave people in there, which didn't allow them to close. It was great if you were trying to kill a bunch of specific PH'ers on your own, especially if the open zone's population was low (which meant people didn't check for a pick). You had the entire zone to yourself. How /picks work was changed so that that couldn't happen anymore.
  11. Raccoo Augur

So if the pick closes on you, do you get pushed to the evac point in the base zone?
  12. yosco Augur

I guess you will now. Before, if the pick closed on you the group was dropped in the main zone right where you were when it closed.
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Try doing a CC save some wasted time. Yes I realize there will be that random jackhole that does not respond to them but its worth a shot.
  14. yosco Augur

It was also pretty convenient to use the base zone and the groups there to allow you to get to hard to reach places (i.e. a group in base zone keeping a bunch of see invis down), snd then /pick into the camp you want. Poof... you’re there and can start killing. Now, that will no longer be possible.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

/pick was always a half- solution, and now they are duct-taping the half- solution.

/privatepicks are the answer and always have been.

People hopping /picks are doing exactly what the game was designed for them to do. The fact that it causes grief is also part of that design (whether intentional or not). The truth is, most of you don't actually want to play with other people unless the other people behave exactly like you want them to.

/privatepick for the win.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The trouble with this is that you don't have to be a "jackhole" to not respond to a CC. Camping named mobs is boring, mindless and easy for a lot of players. Going afk for 10+ minutes between spawns and returning to keyboard to kill for 3-5 minutes is very normal. It's very easy to miss /ooc chat when your in-game activity is no longer your focus.
  17. Tumbler Lorekeeper

Lmao... This is why fade was nerfed?

They should definitely remove the pick shutting down message with this nerf. Nothing like getting to a camp to find out that your pick is closing.

It all comes full circle. Whatever, I'll leave my mage in the normal zone and the pick and coth to the camp on both. I have so many mages, they are the best mages. They all coth and are on different accounts. This won't effect me at all. In fact I think it just opened up more camps for boxers like me.

However, looks like every class gets succor. So that's another positive tip this change.

Thanks daybreak...
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering the lag they already have and other problems I don't think they want to start increasing the number of zones because everyone is going into a private pick. Not to mention the easy access to named it would allow since everyone would be able to camp every name they could want.
  19. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I do believe that a real issue exist..somewhere in the stars. But certainly my takeaway here is that I promise to use the word "jackhole" twice in a sentence in the next 24 hours! By jackhole you've done it!
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.