Daybreak games forever ruined their reputation, missed opportunity.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rayvorn, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Isn't a privately held company? Thus there would be no shareholders meeting. Assuming we are talking about Daybreak that is.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Businesses do not have to share what they are doing in the background. Why do you feel you, and anyone else in a similar mind frame, feel entitled to know what goes on behind the scenes? Because you pay $15 per month?

And what do you mean "give us hope"? A new expansion is being worked on, the 27th or so IIRC. Another TLP has been announced. What other hope do you look for? And remember....

DBG IS NOT OBLIGATED TO SHARE THIS INFO WITH YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO

Again, their business model is to share vague quarterly updates. It is what they choose to do. Those who do not like it can either (a) deal with it and not stress, (b) become a shareholder or get on their board of governors and be part of the business model decision making process, or (c) leave. The overwhelming majority seem to choose (a) for those keeping score at home...
    Coagagin and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  3. Laronk Augur

The problem with sharing too much in the video game industry is that some gamers are rabid jerks that hound companies the moment they don't deliver on time.

A new company could release a new mmo and get 100k players. Internally they're super happy, they're ecstatic. On the internet though people would say xxx game is a failure!!! Gamers are terrible fans sometimes and can be really tough critics.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

And remember that it is...JUST A GAME. A leisure time activity. A diversion.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Rayvorn Elder

Two sides of a coin. You are stating things as if I don't understand this? Never said they were obligated. Never said they had to share. I clearly stated my opinion that their business model is flaw because it leaves no real room for growth. This is easy to assess because they are not receiving new players/clients, they are milking their current/old members, hence maintenance mode. I already know WHY they are doing it, because if you tell everyone you are on maintenance mode then people will be less attached and leave.

I already explained above what I thought the future of the game was, never said the game was in immediate danger of being shutdown, just stated that I believe Everquest is going to fade away and disappear...and I rather it not, that's my opinion.

Lastly I don't care about the 15$ x 6 a month. I'd gladly pay triple that if a legit Everquest 3 came or similar game that gave a boost to the MMO genre. I know I am not the only one either, which leads me to believe that whatever "research and risk" assessment was done was probably done with very limited or bias perimeters, or just never really happen.
  6. Rayvorn Elder

I agree 100% but I also have ...more faith in the Everquest community. We are much more weathered gamers then most, can't even compare us to the new age mmo's like Bless or FFXIV (you didnt just saying in general). People can be mean and sadly social media has made people afraid to take risks ...but taking risk is what it takes to take something to the next level. I don't think next level is DBG, but I can still hope..because this isn't some random MMO that died off after a couple of years...this is 20 years of Everquest, half my lifetime. DBG has only recently purchased the game and their "ties" to the game are not as strong as ours (though some devs played I'm sure), but that's why I voice my opinionas have others. I respect both sides.
  7. Cicelee Augur

But is it your decision to make as to whether the business model is flawed or not? No. And you, as a player, do not really have a say as to what their business model should be save for not giving them money anymore.

Only one group of people truly know how their business model is doing. And it isn't us as players. And if they are happy with their business model, then who are we to judge and debate otherwise?

BTW you say you pay $90 per month and would triple that to get an EQ3 or equivalent and that "many others" would do likewise. I am going to call shenanigans on people willing to spend $270 per month on a MMO. If I was in Vegas and had to put my bank account on it, I would say less than 1% of current EQ playere would pay that much per month on a MMO. And I am sure the odds would be astronomically in my favor as to being right on that statement...
  8. kizant Augur

The dumbest thing DBG could possibly do is to take focus away from EQ1.
    Caell, CrazyLarth, Vumad and 3 others like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

The "many others" portion of the statement was his undoing. If you are going to say something that outlandish you need to provide real proof to back it up.
  10. enclee Augur

I don’t think EQ has had the company focus SOE or DBG, since 2002.
    Caell and MasterMagnus like this.
  11. Rayvorn Elder

It's clear that my thought process is not getting through to you and that's fine but just know that what I am saying is just general principal and not HARD facts like you seem to be deriving from my statements. Never said someone else would be willing to pay 270$ a month to play a next gen Everquest. Yes, I would be willing to pay that much for my "perfect mmo" but how someone values money over others is their choice. My point was that people would be willing to pay more for a game they wanted..not a set dollar amount, but more. I know this because well I'm 39 years old and retired because of my business choices and the mass amount of documentation out there proving my statements. People pay 15$ a month just to use the forums on Pantheons website. People buy a pretty mount even thou they have 5 other mounts that do the same thing. People pay monthly fees for a boxing tool for this game and more for the coding to assist them with their box team (30+ dollars a month...just for this old game). People pay for Nextflix, Hulu, Sling TV/Direct TV, and ESPN + when they can only log on maybe 10 hours a month to all of them combined. People make not financially sound choices everyday in this world because it makes them happy.

So yes people would be willing to pay more. Star Citizen is like a money machine based off this knowledge. Kickstarter...I mean ..people pay for 100-10000 dollar packages and THEN pay a monthly fee once the game is launched for some upcoming MMO's.

It's my opinion that their business model is flawed. This is from 2 decades of leadership and management courses, schools, and on the job experience. BUT this is still just my opinion. You don't agree with it which I respect, but I will continue to state it:) While DBG may have their business model and it may work for them, I think most people know in their gut that this business model is going to just lead to Everquest being shutdown or selling off the IP. There is the chance they may get an investor to assist them in making a new game/mmo..but it's much harder with this type of business model where it's really easy to see how you have been conducting business in the past (mostly maintenance mode and failed relaunches of games).

I think that is it for me though unless I get asked a specific question. My opinion has been stated and rather not continue to push it or beat it like a dead horse. Was a good conversation and I enjoyed it, thanks everyone for chiming in:)
    Caell likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

They've been making far too many major changes in the past couple years to believe that.
  13. enclee Augur

EQ2 sees more frequent and major changes. EQ1 got pushed aside a few years into its life for EQ2 development. It’s how you end up with a failure like GoD.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

Amazeballs..
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Schadenfreude Augur

You sure picked a strange time to shill for Blizzard.
    Nennius and Whulfgar like this.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It is well known they pulled people from EQ during early H1Z1, and ongoing from there.

The favorite phrase during that time was "It's an all hands on deck moment" I.E.they need us on something other than EQ.

They do, now, seem to have woken up and returned home.
  17. kizant Augur

Maybe a little? But just taking a look at their update thread going back to May it sure seems like a lot of small insignificant changes.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

I have to respect them for cancelling EverQuest Next rather than release a product they didn't have faith in. I hope things go well for Daybreak, but that couldn't have been an easy decision. The game looked interesting. Guild Wars 2 plus Minecraft? The idea sounds crazy and wonderful to me. Obviously in the end the vision didn't pan out.

But come on now, this is a twenty year old game. It's kind of amazing it's still supported, in my opinion.
  19. kizant Augur

It shouldn't be amazing. There are MUDs that have been around for 30 years. One of my other favorite online games is still being played, Netrek. It came out in 1986: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netrek

These games are all about community, nostalgia, and gameplay. People think the IP/lore are important but they really don't mean very much in comparison to everything else. DBG would be smart to focus on games like these and maintain them for as long as possible. All the hard work is done already. Most software projects fail before they're even completed. These are successful products with player bases already built-in. Easy money.
    enclee likes this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Were I a conspiracy minded person I might think that...Nah