Returning with new friends!!

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Deadlylover, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Deadlylover New Member

I have been away like most for years and years but have some of the best memories from the good old days. Not sure what server to jump on I would like to play like it was back in the day when you worked for what you got. Levels took time and you could not buy them. I have a group of 5 others that will be joining me.3 of them have never played but they want to join because they keep hearing all the old stories. So what server do we need to be in for the most original Everquest? Hell lvls and all sitting in Guk for the damn robe?
  2. Spellfire Augur

Welcome back.
    I'm not sure if 'back in the day' experience can really be relived. You may want to post this in TLP section to get the best advice.

In case you and your friends are interested in Live server, I would suggest Bristle, Xegony or Cazic, all busy servers with assortment of guilds to chose from if you want to be social or have interest in raiding later on.
  3. Fluid Augur

Thankfully there are no hell levels in EQ anymore. There are blips if you play a TLP server, things like top equipment or epics are still hard to get. On a live server you can buy most of what you need off a vendor. Easy to solo on a live server too as raid quality gear drops off of newbie level mobs.

If all of your partners are willing to subscribe, the closest thing to old school experience will be the TLP servers but even they are fairly easy to advance on. Groups have always been strong and now even more so. You can breeze through content with any decent group. IMO just go for the combination of tank, healer, to start and fill in the gaps. All the old tanks like SK or Warrior work fine with just decent equipment when a Cleric is healing them. I would put an Enchanter or Bard in there to act as manna pumps. I also like Magicians because their pets can off tank and they have a great damage shield. I toss in a Druid or Wizard for travel too.

I guess what I am trying to say is it would be hard to have a group that couldn't function. Maybe something like 6 Warriors because they couldn't heal or 6 Clerics because they couldn't kill fast enough. As long as your crew is simpatico with the concept of filling roles, the modern game is a push over.
  4. SunDrake Augur

It sounds like you guys might prefer a TLP server, but know that all of them require a subscription [if anyone was just going Free-to-Play to start, this would not work.]

The newest TLPs are Mangler and Selo. I believe Mangler has progressed to Velious, and Selo just unlocked Depths of Darkhollow. Selo is a fast-unlock TLP. New expansions unlock each month, where most TLPs are 3 month unlocks. Mangler has the highest population of the TLPs, but seems full of drama. Older TLPs are also an option if you don't mind the lower level game being largely deserted. Phinigel might be the most promising, its further progressed than any other active TLP and stands a chance at making it to live status with an intact population.

If you go the live route I'd second Spellfire's suggestion of Bristlebane and Xegony and add Firiona Vie. It has a special loot rule set where most No Trade items are Tradable. In my experience it has far more people working on characters of all levels than standard live servers generally do.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree as long as you are all willing to subscribe and pay your monthly fee try a TLP server.

If you want to go free to play try us on Xegony. Apparently we are one of the two highest population servers or so Holly Longdale EQ Producer said.

We are also pretty returning and new player friendly.
    Shanarias likes this.