Enchanters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deadlylover, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Deadlylover New Member

Just coming back to the game are Enchanters as useful as they were back in the day?
  2. Littlelegs Elder

yep.
    Caell and Tucoh like this.
  3. Cailen Augur

to other casters..... yes ;)
  4. Cicelee Augur

I assume you are referring to the solo/group game. In which case, enchanters can trivialize the majority of content to allow success for the group.
  5. Whulfgar Augur

There are raids in TBL built around their abilities..
  6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yes. Many raid.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Enchanters seem to be all about content.

Group game:
    In some content they are extremely overpowered.
    In other content they are just weaker dps.
    In some rare bits of content they are very useful without being overpowered.

Raid game:
    Pretty much necessary.
    RPoo and Whulfgar like this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

I disagree enchanters are over powered anywhere. Yes we are extremely powerful at times, but those times also come with huge risks. Mages and Beastlord pets wont randomly face stomp them. Other than charm all we really do that's "overpowered" is make content manageable for a group that otherwise wouldn't be. There's not too many things that enchanters can complete that other classes can not do.

Balance isn't just about how much damage a class can put out or take. It's also about the risk of using those abilities. When risk is considered with reward, ENC are not over powered, they are just very capable.
    Elyssanda, NeverPayForLag and Tucoh like this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

As I said it depends on content.
    In some content you are the most powerful class in the game.
    In other content you are underpowered.
    There is very little middle ground.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Enchanters are in a great state right now.

If you have some combination of :
    1. The capability to charm
    2. Other caster DPS in the group
    3. Groups of threatening mobs to CC

Enchanters are going to be the rockstars in your group. If you log on and land in a group with like, a warrior, rogue and a couple healer mercs grinding mobs in one of the easy farming zones, you're really not helping out and your capabilities are wasted.
  11. Fian Augur

Enchanters have been severaly nerfed the past few years. While we are still masters of cc, in the group game you would probably choose another class if cc is not necessary.
  12. yosco Augur

I'm not sure I agree with you. I box a number of characters, and the only two I never ever go anywhere without is my cleric and my enchanter. There are very few encounters these days where enchanters AREN'T needed or at least well utilized.
  13. Mazame Augur

Only for those that know how to play them. Most are just buff bots, it hard to find a good chanter but when you do it $$$$$$
    Elyssanda likes this.
  14. Mintalie Augur

Enchanters are absolutely awesome.
    yosco likes this.
  15. yosco Augur

Sure you aren't mixing chanters up with bards? ;-)
  16. Mazame Augur

I disagree.
    NET / haste = added DPS to a melee group.
    As a chanter you your self can put out dps in these type of groups.
    In an easy farming zone charming is OP. Charm a mob buff it and Net it and let it go eat mobs.
    Chanter are all so great pullers. In a melee heavy group have the chanter pull. I like to keep 4-8 mobs in camp at all time as the puller for the group to dps. after all CC not just about controling a bad pull but it can be used in other ways as well like keeping an endless supply of mobs in camp so you not waiting on pulls.

Being a chanter is about knowing what to use and when to use it. based on group make-up you will change some things around. When you know how to play the chanter you can be a great help to any group.
    RPoo likes this.
  17. Mazame Augur

Enchanter and Bard are in may ways the same. Enchanters are often made like bard to sit in a group and have aura running ( bard have songs running ). The chanter Mana regen / haste are things most ppl want. Both have CC and pulling skills .

When bard and Chanter are played in way they are on as F2P toons to add to a box crew but they are not as use full as they can be. when you find some one that main these class or spend the time to learn them they can be some of the most OP classes in the game.

The sad part is out of 100 bard or enchanters I would guess 1-2 know how to play them. So yes I am sure if some one know how to play a chanter they are $$$$ the same as bards
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

I agree with everything people are saying except for using "over powered". ENC are not over powered. They are extremely powerful, but they are not over powered.

ENC have the highest amount of risk vs reward in the game. Their power is only called "OP" because risk is being inadequately calculated.

Yes, in the right content a chanter is stronger than a mage, for example, but a mage pet will never face stomp the mage. Charm pets will. As ENC power goes up, so does risk. Reverse charming into group is an excellent example of this. It seems "overpowered" until an untimely charm break sends 4 mobs to face stomp the ENC into oblivion.

Mage DPS is fixed compared to ENC DPS. Mages don't pull 4 mobs at a time because their power is not scaled so they have no reason to. As a result, their risk is fixed, and their risk is always lower than the ENC, on singles.

Mages can't single pull like ENC, true, but they also can't get singles pulls like monks, bards, beastlords, SKs or necros. So not sure that's a valid point.

All of the other classes don't have scaling issues when moving back in expansions. ENC DPS is fixed to the expansion, less minor improvements in spell damage and charm stats.

Enchanters are simply not "over powered". Saying so is begging for an unjustified nerf. ENC are an extremely well balanced class. The balance comes from their high power balanced with high risk. It may seem strange to talk about risk / benefit analysis in a game like Everquest, but that is exactly what it is. No other class carries the level of risk that the ENC does. Remove the risk and you also remove the power. Thus, balance.

It's okay if we agree to disagree though. I'm totally down for expressing opposing view points. I do understand where people are coming from. I guess I am saying the same thing I said before, but I felt compelled to elaborate a bit more. My apologies.
    NeverPayForLag, RPoo and Mazame like this.
  19. yosco Augur

Can you elaborate more on this? The only angle I can come up with is you’re tying enchanter dps to the level and strength of the mobs they can charm, which is fixed by expansion (I.e. you can’t charm a mob in TBL and bring it to Velious to murder stuff for TS materials). Is that what you meant?
  20. Mazame Augur

I think that was what he was talking about. but even then you can give them better buffs and better weapons. Think about a charm pet in Hot full gear in RoS Ts gear. it would eat up the Hot zone.