Tinkering/hide/sneak - Let's get this over with

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dewey, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Dewey Augur

Over time racial abilities have been taken away from different classes. Recently Halflings lost an XP bonus that has been around forever. Other classes were given forage; where as this was a racial ability. Research was another thing that was at one time just for casters.

My question is when can we expect to get tinkering. Also give other classes some abilities like hide/sneak immune to frontal stun, etc... Surely in today's EQ the gnomes can teach other classes how to tinker. As for hide/sneak we can say that was learned from being a shroud and turning into those monsters.
  2. Hayzeus Augur

/dislike

The homogenization of EQ was and is bad for the game. Doing more of it is just more bad. I leveled up a gnome for tinkering mastery, and I rolled a shammy for alchemy. It would be a shame if my efforts were thrown out the window by just making everyone the same.

Having said that, if they do make this change, then here is a list of things I want:

1) dark elf night vision for all races

Maybe that's all I want right now. My needs are simple (yes because I am simple). I'll keep you posted if I develop other needs.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You know, Halflings were not supposed to have been given the experience bonus, it was meant to have been given to Humans who had no racial bonus at all so that's probably a bad example, but it was taken to equalise races as far as experience goes & I think that was the right call.

Frontal stun immunity?, well plenty of classes get all round immunity to melee stun through AA so the Frontal stun immunity of Ogres is rendered mostly worthless except at below AA levels.

Tinkering fits with Gnomes from a lore perspective, sure I'd love some other "racial tradeskills" if there was some development scope & enough time & money to get them into the game but realistically that's a huge amount of work for what is probably very little return.

Let's just accept that there are a lot of historical things in this game that's been around for 20 years & now has limited resources available - small incremental changes will happen, the developers are really passionate about moving EQ forwards while retaining the EQ "flavour" that's kept it going so far, baggage exists for EQ & while some of that baggage is unhelpful & negative and will be addressed when it can be, some of that baggage actually adds character to the game, change too much of it and it stops being EverQuest.
    Elyssanda, code-zero and Yinla like this.
  4. Dewey Augur

The Halfling XP bonus has been around for 20 years. It was why I made halflings. With that being said I am seriously debating switching my race to a gnome. My biggest issue with changing it though is I don't want to stop playing. The last time I had a major change in the game I stopped playing for a while because it wasn't the same.

I want to change to a gnome instead of logging on my alt. I want to do it just for the tinkering. However; will it be the same character after the change? Will he still mean as much as he does right now to me.

All it took was getting an X on one of my toons names for me to not play that toon ever again. So I want to tinker on my main. However; I am thinking that if I use the race pot then it's a different toon. Then if I'm okay with playing that toon and being different(even though the stuff is the same) then why not make a zerker...

All in all though I know that my gnome tinkerer could have taught my tradeskill master the ways to tinker. So the lore would still fit.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Tinkering for everyone!

I approve of this message.
  6. code-zero Augur

I don't know what your class is but if it helps you can get the persistent illusion AA and illusion up as a halfling when you go gnome. I knew a guy who created a dwarf paladin for the stats way back in the day and then got the wood elf illusion click and he'd religiously cast that every time he zoned. He was a wood elf paladin who worshipped Brell and that's how he played it
  7. AcemoneyFV Augur

This is me, but with Dark Elf. I play a High Elf Paladin but I only use the Dark Elf illusion. Sometimes I'll use a monster illusion but 99% of the time, I'm a Dark Elf.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Fluid Augur

Class vs weapon: I think a Bard can equip a bow or two in game but can't equip arrows. It would be nice if they got an arrow for pulling.
  9. Nniki Augur

Bixie Anguish Arrow
    Shadowspike Arrow
    Fluid and code-zero like this.
  10. Dagum Elder

Yes please! Tinkering for all...
  11. Diptera Augur

Bah, the inferior minds of the other races can't wrap themselves around our genius concepts, it took you long enough to be taught how to replace the batteries in the rechargeable items, let alone teach you how to make them in the first place!
  12. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

If it makes you feel any better, Winnowyl was rolled in 2004 as a wood elf, and stayed that way until last year. I changed her to a gnome for tinkering. I still play her; she's still the same character to me. Tho to be fair, before I race changed her, I DID get the wood elf illusion clickie. Tho I spend 99.9% of my time in red bellikos illusion, and have since it was introduced to the game. It only makes a difference now in that I have tinkering, and I get a tiny mount if I don't click on wood elf before mounting up.
  13. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Tinkering for all? Your wish is granted. You are all gnomes.
  14. HanktheTank Journeyman

So the 2 races that actually have a benefit to them are now Gnomes and Drakkin I think, and the Drakkin race benefit is obtainable by a very very long quest.

Anyways, instead of tinkering for all; how about we go back and give the races something unique. Go back and put in current benefits for races. So that there is a reason to pick something outside of gnome(if your class has that option)...
    Izzard of Bertox likes this.
  15. Dagum Elder

Not a bad idea. For instance a dwarf with maxed should not be able to get drunk.
    Elyssanda and Izzard of Bertox like this.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Make Achievement Point caps equal!
  17. Mithra Augur

They would need to fix some of the impossible to acquire Hunters like The Lair of the Splitpaw (not Invaded).