Preview of Upcoming Changes to Combat Escape AA Abilities

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dzarn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Baldur Augur

For those of us on progression servers, are the previous versions of Hiatus being changed at all?

Respite, Reprieve, Rest and Breather do not have the melee speed penalty.
  2. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

You forgot the "Ship to Ship Combat" stuff still needs to be implemented. :p
    shep569 and Sheex like this.
  3. Lianeb Augur

I am very thankful for the change.
    Now can we also look at the reuse timer for hiatus being to long.
    And the slow being to much (actually can we stop calling it a slow, and call it “inhibit melee”)
    If you want to keep the slow can we get it to something, like that of Rez sickness, so that I can at least “feel” useful for it’s duration?

I seem to recall this ability getting a lot of feed back during beta, for these reasons over breather. Though I feel this change will make hiatus more desirable than it currently is (which is none). But it could be better without being over powered.
    Belexes likes this.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Might need a new thread to get that some traction. Would be all for it.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I like the changes mostly. I’m not extremely excited about druid Fade getting 3x longer reuse in exchange for 100% success rate but I guess it is what it is.

The hiatus change is unexpected. I think most Melee though only need a few ticks of Hiatus to be good to go for another few minutes. Perhaps it could do with a slight reuse reduction but I think the correct use of Hiatus will be activate for 2-3 ticks and click it off to get back into the fight.

I am curious if the previous incarnations of the ability will stay unchanged or if they will also receive the 4x longer reuse and Melee Slow in exchange for usable in combat.
  6. Allayna Augur

Warriors are hurting imo on long term survivability and initial aggro.
    The problem with aggro generation for dps classes is the amount of hatred generated per point of dmg vs the limited aggro output of tank classes. I see knights holding aggro well but often see warriors lose aggro on engage and part of that imo has to do with knight rune proc weapons vs the warrior wep proc.

There are certainly classes in the game right now that you could raid 100% without. Sadly warrior is quickly moving that direction.

Capes? Sounds like an ornament slot they could add to the back item, simple enough ya? Then let the player studio at it.
    shep569 likes this.
  7. kizant Augur

For those still questioning the 8% cost, remember that resource management is part of game play. With how over-inflated items have been the last two expansions I'd expect more costs like that still to come.
    Sheex and Kimbella like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I wonder how much uproar would have been caused if the new adjusted changes were simply put out in the test patch with no announcement? Instead we got advance notice of changes which was a bit unusual, then they reduced and rolled back the changes... and everyone is happy. It's funny how things are perceived. :)

Well played :)

P.S.
    And yes this does mean you just can't win no matter how you roll out a change :)

P.P.S. But at least everyone now feels better about the change so that is a plus.
  9. Angahran Augur

No mention of success or level range.
    Assuming same 100% success and +5 levels as other classes ?
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Post removed because I answered my own question.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Stil costs over 20K mana, still not acceptable, if it isn't going to work if you don't have that much mana, I hope you are giving some serious upgrades to other agro reducing AAs in the next expansion.

And I hope you are looking at changing revival sickness so you can gain more mana or this could well be another death.
  12. ~Mills~ Augur

It is Dzarn's vision or pet peeve which is all it takes for it to now be the standard but that doesn't make it good design or use of resources especially when its not applied equally to everything. AA from their inception until recently very rarely ever had a resource cost, only niche stuff like LoH or manaburn or lifeburn. Wizards specifically got their AA nukes to have a form of dps when out of resources since they don't have a pet or auto attack like a melee, that changed when they started costing mana.

I personally don't like it obviously but if he must lets make sure its being handled fairly and evenly. Despite how much time and effort will be needed to pick through every spell type aa that should qualify for the new standard. IE hates, stuns, dps-melee/nuke/dot/special/pets, heals, cures, mezs, charms, lulls, pacifies, snares, roots, debuffs, buffs, etc all should have a cost as well, not just some randomly. Why does me casting a pet buff via AA come at a mana cost or you casting a nuke via AA cost you mana yet some other class might cast a AE buff that drastically alters everyones critical rate and attack or accuracy for long durations come free or someone else's special ranged dps or kick dps via an AA, equivalent to you nuke, come free? Never mind stuff like passive enhancements needing similar treatment. To me if an AA drastically alters a spell or disc it should add more cost for its benefit. Why is doubling the duration of a disc or adding 100% more counters or reducing its reuse 64% free only charging whatever the base cost was before all that improvement but other AA have a surcharge of resources for their benefits added or a convenience cost of it being an AA in addition to the spell? This all takes time and effort when we are constantly told "we don't have time" for lots of stuff that should be a much higher priority than these.

Percent amount instead of a flat amount is bad, you should not be penalized even if its small for getting better gear or growing in power. And the intent of the AA and how its used should be considered. One of the reasons he is changing these is because he doesn't like that these have timers and yet sometimes don't work when needed most, the intent is a save yourself AA on whatever timer he sets. And yet by adding in a 5,000 - 25,000 mana or endurance cost check, that only scales up more as you grow, to use them he is essentially adding back the same failure rate in a different manner. IE you still will likely fail 10% of the time when you need it most because you didn't have the resources needed to fire it in addition to its timer. So to me unless you can spam these abilites like a bard making it more than just an escape on a timer, possibly monk if he is reducing their reuse time way faster as well, then it should not need a high cost on top of the timer.

A very slippery slope to be on and wasted effort imo but the resource cost additions should be flat and stick to stuff mentioned above like hate, stun, snare, root, mez, etc and not be applied to these abilities. Which often defeats their original intent of having another resource free version to begin with.
    Wulfhere and Yinla like this.
  13. Riou EQResource

The success chance and +5 didn't change so it wasn't listed, yea

Depending on other ways you can regain that resource it doesn't seem that bad, you can do your big burn then Fade and basically immediately drop all the aggro it caused since the initial amount is probably the biggest spike with the biggest risk of messing up hate since it will be, in essence, -1 mill aggro vs Raid mobs
  14. Spooky Augur

So mana on items is actively bad especially for PoP era bards?

New meta take off all your gear before fading?

Nice change.
  15. Tucoh Augur

While you're looking at Hiatus, could you please make Hiatus available to bards? They are literally the only class that uses endurance that doesn't have it, and desperately need endurance especially now that their primary endurance using ability (vainglorious shout) has increased in cost.
  16. Belkar_OotS Augur

Considering resurrection and revival effects would probably be smart with the required mana costs.

Going back to the Hiatus/Rest question. I really hope the earlier versions are either left alone or are only gifted with the out of combat requirement removal. I would hate to see them nerfed.

As an aside, and not necessarily something that needs addressed now but is a related topic to the endurance/fade discussion. But the Seventh Wind line could really use a revamp to the entire line in my opinion. I have almost never used the ability other than to see what it does. Enough so that I really don't even know what the final condition even looks like other than... Worse than the Hiatus/breather line in every application i would consider using it other than the final event of the night and I am confident I won't die. For pure melee it would be nice for the reuse to be in line with the Hiatus reuse, so I can use it at the beginning of a long event, and still have a good chance to use Hiatus after a death later in the event or once I have run myself out of endurance.
  17. menown Augur

Please please do this. Pending that you survive, I would love to see your reaction after you put all your gear back on and now have 0% mana.
    Tucoh likes this.
  18. Zanarnar Augur

I mean, if you have too little mana to fade; "keep running as you undress enough to be able to fade" does seem like a valid option with this change :p
    ~Mills~ likes this.
  19. Tolzol Augur

Except with his hiatus change melee will be able to still use their fade whether they have endurance or not if they can stay alive for a couple ticks. So the resource cost won’t really make a difference to us at only 8%. And now to wait for people to nail me to a cross for bringing that up haha
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Kianara Lorekeeper

I can see it now .. streaking my bard screaming across OT while ripping off all my gear, just chucking aside it as I get it off lmao
    Teylana likes this.