Hardware

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Oakenblade, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Funnonry Lorekeeper

this thread is cute
  2. Funnonry Lorekeeper

chipset.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

I can run 5-6 box on a 12 y old high endish Core 2, and 8 GB of ram; lower clipping rate/distance on boxes, remove particles, minimum textures, etc etc.

I can’t remember exactly what the configuration settings are called, my point is that by trimming performance down on the toons in the background, you could possibly have a way to play on your existing rig.

Good luck!
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Game settings are the other side of the equation for sure: lower setting means you can get by with less hardware. And performance depends on which zones you play in.

This is another area where it is important to set proper expectations and compare apples to apples. I run my two primary clients at max settings, except with shadows turned off. Some of my other clients run with lower settings.

So a meaningful hardware comparison would have to note:
    • Hardware specs
    • Additional programs running (browsers, Discord, GINA, etc.)
    • Number of clients
    • Client(s) settings
    • Zones being measured in
    • A video showing actual performance, though FPS values would probably suffice
    Anything else?
    Duder likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Hardly.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Limit your framerate in EQ to 30, or 60 max. Getting 120 fps is worthless unless you have a 120hz monitor, and even then it's still worthless for a game like EQ.
  7. Funnonry Lorekeeper

none of you know anything about hardware
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Funnonry Lorekeeper

this is not entirely true
  9. Lianeb Augur

Your style of help is commendable
  10. Endaar Augur

How are you guys measuring your FPS in EQ?
  11. kizant Augur

I use the FPS overlay from NVIDIA. That GeForce Experience app has one you can turn on. Steam also has an overlay you can use. I'm sure there's other options as well.
    Oakenblade likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I welcome your contribution to the discussion. Nothing speaks louder about your knowledge than sharing it.
    Caell and Funnonry like this.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

I have ran 3 boxed on a 2015 macbook pro with no dedicated graphics card, just the 2.2qhz quad core intel cpu with onboard iris graphics, 16 gb of ddr3 ram using bootcamp windows 10. The thing runs very hot even with the largest cooling mat I could find and it will actually drain the battery while plugged in. EQ very poorly scales to the 15" 1800p screen, and by very poorly I mean not at all.
  14. Funnonry Lorekeeper

There is no point in using anti virus on a gaming machine any av can be bypassed
  15. Funnonry Lorekeeper

I dont want u to learn
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  16. yosco Augur

^^^

A forum bridge is unguarded.
    Funnonry and Winnowyl like this.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I hope nobody takes this seriously. But it does show his level of expertise.
    Funnonry likes this.
  18. Xatt Journeyman

I hope Masa gives you permission to upgrade...
  19. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

She did. I went with a Ryzen Gen 2, upgraded my mobo, went from DDR3 to DDR4 RAM, and got an H60 liquid cooler for my CPU. Computer performance during raids were smooth as butter last night. I was even able to turn the “other damage other” filter back on and it made zero difference. T’was quite glorious.
  20. Metanis Bad Company

I love it when a plan comes together!!! Grats on your good fortune!!!
    Oakenblade likes this.