New November Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MarttinPH, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Riggles Journeyman

Like bro, do you even multibox? This server is a big fail out the gate with truebox.

Yep, people begged for it as they thought everyone would be grouping together like it was 1999. And if everyone was still on dial up, it would have worked. But with technology today, truebox is a HUGE FAIL, absolutely no reason for it.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Nothin' lasts forever
    And we both know hearts can change
    And it's hard to hold a candle
    In the cold November rain [of tears]
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  3. Boze TLP complaint factory

This is part of the reason I didn't even box when I played on test before I started on phinny. The content encourages boxing, especially if you're not doing current content (which I'm assuming is not their intent, but they've led the game there!). Even without truebox, boxing without some kind of third party program is horribly annoying. If I hadn't played a class that can solo well there's zero chance I would've lasted this long on phinny.

Back on thread: with how dead Phinny feels ~2 months into VoA I don't see how this 85 HoT server is anything other than dead on arrival. Good luck Miragul.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

I've been 5 and 6 boxing (true boxed before it was a thing) since you were in diapers. What's your point?
  5. Machen New Member

It is not nearly as good as you are giving it credit. In most situations, a skilled player will drastically outplay a macaroni script. Even something as simple as stick -- which obviously works better than autofollow -- can be outperformed by an actual player, because a player knows not only where the mob is currently, but can predict where it will be.

Macaroni quest is great at certain things, far better than players. For instance, giving an instant rez to anyone in the raid instants after they died. Even the best clerics aren't that good. But the cases where a script can outplay an active player are few and far between.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think the new server has hope because it differs from Phinny in at least two regards (hopefully):
    • Phinny is TrueBox. If the new server is Truebox, I agree with you about it's DOA status.
    • New chars on Phinny start out at level one. The new server starts everybody off with a level 85 heroic character. This makes starting on the new server much more appealing than starting a toon on today's Phinny.
    I think releasing this new server so close to the latest expansion's release date is the biggest issue facing the new server.
  7. Riggles Journeyman

Exactly! I am sure there are lots of people that want to catch up to Live but are hesitant just to jump onto a live server. This gives people like that an opportunity to start even with other players and progress to Live.

These earlier TLP's would have been great, but there was just too many of them. This November server has it's own niche. I am actually getting excited! I hope to see guilds recruiting on the forums soon. Where are ya Dima?
  8. Machen New Member

LOL. Accipiter, do you even multibox, bro?!?!
    Accipiter likes this.
  9. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I have no intention of starting on a TLP server that's literally an expansion behind our existing expansion on Phinigel. Maybe if it was an event server (Speed killing Morell, or some other attractive twist) even then, time is limited and we're chugging full steam ahead on Phinigel and having a ton of fun doing it too!

We will have a formal forum recruitment post going up soon (tm) about new and returning players to Phinigel. You can check my signature for a link in the meanwhile, we've had some stellar updates lately :)
  10. Midnitewolf Augur

I think your right for people that are in your situation but a lot of people are not. Even on Selo where the exp rates are dramatically increased, you still have to level a character from 1 to 70 and also have to gear them up to be competitive. The new server will let you bypass that by starting you out at level 85 with decent gear and you can play any and every class you might have wanted to try to check out starting at this level. I think this will be the appeal of the new server, the ability to bypass the early leveling and gearing process. I know while I might not abandon Selo, I will definitely be rolling up a couple classes on this new server that I have never played before.

Also there is the appeal of being able to start out fresh and equal to everyone else on the server WITHOUT having to start over at level 1 back in Classic. When you consider how many people left EQ after PoP, haven't played much or any of the content past that and would be interested in playing the newer expansions without coming so late to the party that you will never be able to catch up like is the case on live, I think you have a powerful draw for this server there as well. I know that is yet another aspect that greatly appeals to myself since I have never played based where Selo is now.

Finally, I think most people know that EQ is nearing its last days. I am pretty confident that the vast majority of people playing EQ today will jump ship the second Pantheon becomes available to the general public be that its release or even part of any open beta period that might have. Pantheon won't be out tomorrow, hell I don't think it will make it out until at least 2021 but there is a very strong likelihood your not likely going to be investing the next 5 years of your gaming life into EQ. Most likely you have a maximum of 18 mos., maybe 2 years even if your currently dedicated to EQ. I know I have an alpha pledge already bought for Pantheon so I am out of her as soon as Alpha goes live and if something good in the MMO genre came out prior to that, I would jump ship even sooner.
    Riggles likes this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

It will likely never launch. If it does, it will be full of the crap that people hated about EQ in its first few years. Brad McQuaid has said things like, "significant death penalty" etc. Several years ago I had hope for Pantheon, too, but McQuaid is too big of an idiot to pull it off.
  12. Riggles Journeyman

I agree with most of your post about the upcoming server. But in reponse to this quote, I said the same thing ten years ago. And here we are.
  13. Rayvorn Elder

They have a playable game right now so Brad would launch it just to avoid a lawsuit. Launching a crappy game is still living up to your end of the bargain in the eyes of the law. With that said, the game they have so far is actually fun to play but far from ready from anything legit or near EQ level. (from the streams i've seen).

With that said, it doesn't matter if Pantheon is good or not, it will draw a large portion of the playerbase. If that playbase devotes at least 2-3 months into Pantheon..and then decide they dont like it and want to leave, the chances of even 50% of them returning to Everquest is low. The disappointment of the "New Everquest" being a failure wouldnt make people happy to come back to Everquest...without something new drawing them back. My point is...Everquest is really on it's last leg IMO. 1-2 more TLP's (counting the one in November) and 1-2 more expansions for the devoted crowd that has stuck to live, is all we are looking at IMO.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

What would the lawsuit be based on, and who would get sued (who would have money and liability)? I can't be bothered to create an account to go through the pledge process, but I bet there is some sort of agreement that would limit any liability (if it isn't limited by default).

Pay for vaporware, be prepared to get vaporware :) It seems to me that they have enough eager pledges to keep themselves employed until release, after that - we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not holding my breath (or giving them any money).
  15. Rayvorn Elder

16. Machen New Member

This will only matter if Pantheon delivers on all it promises. Almost everyone who plays EQ currently will try it. Whether thy are still playing Pantheon six months later instead of Everquest depends entireely on Pantheon. Personally, I am pretty skeptical for a whole lot of reasons. I think the most likely scenario is that DBG will experience a month or three of a dip in population and then everyone will be right back here.
  17. Aegir Augur

I'm Playing EQ right now, enjoying it - and have done so far the last five years after returning from a long break since 2001.

Players currently active on Phinigel show very little interest in this November Server. However, at lot of guilds folded in the expansions between SoF and HoT on Phinigel. Dorment players from those guilds may rise to pick up where they left? Only time will tell. This server will need experienced people to lead raids there - or else, most guilds will suffer a rather rough learning curve in an expansion that is rather forgiving compared to its follow-up launching just 3 months after its launch.

Regarding Pantheon, Nothing I've seen so far has blown my mind. It's basically EverQuest Classic Enhanced Edition. They should just release the Game now and see what happens based upon player feedback like EverQuest did. EQ was nowhere a complete game when it launched - and while the world seemed vast for us players when it was released, it's nothing compared to modern standards. Just release a couple of realms that works and then add content on top of that... Release it. Let it be unpolished... After a year with the help of the community playing around you'll have a good picture of how the game should be going forward.

Again, it's not a game set in stone the moment it's released. Fix the bugs that doesn't make it playable and release it in six months. It's the best thing they can do before they release it in 10 years.
  18. Finchy Augur

a consideration.. people coming back to phinny or looking to start on a "veteran" TLP if you will, will have a decision to make. Do i join phinny where i've never played and start from lvl 1 with nothing, or do i join a server that's only 1 expac behind it but can start at 85 with gear/spells/aas and can group with max lvl people immediately. Returning people, depending on when they left, may not be 85 and may not have much gear...if they join the new server, again they get gear/spells/aa for free and ready to group with people/friends and lvl up and have fun.

this is the 1 single piece that is the thorn in phinny's side...
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

You mean like they did with Vanguard?
  20. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

Yeah, I certainly agree the initial catchup is tougher on Phinigel from level 1. In COTF, we do get heroic characters on Phinigel too, and that's not that far away -- i think a good chunk of people get a free toon if they meet certain criteria. Long term, both servers will require roughly the same amount of time commitment to keep up if the general server mods are equal.

If it's a carbon copy progression wise of Phinigel, I don't think it'll have the same amount of guilds and general population that progress through the content.