New computer, new crashing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LordoftheMoo, Aug 14, 2019.

1. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

Missed my edit window by less than a minute /sigh.

[update] Got the 97mb June 2010 DX9 redistributable and installed that, rebooted, same results though, still crashing as described in above posts.

[update] Completely closing MSI Afterburner (not just disabling the RTSS overlay) got it working for me. Tested several times, crashes with it running, doesn't crash without it. Odd that they coexisted fine pre-1903 and not post-1903 but /shrug.
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

Thanks for the follow up on your issue/resolution. I am wondering why the link would not work, since it redistributed packaging took me straight to the MS download site for it.

It does make me wonder what within MSI Afterburner was causing the conflct.
  3. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

Yes, the link is working for me now, when I tried it last night it gave me a 'file has been moved or no longer exists' error. I use noscript though and sometimes have issues with MS download pages even with it temporarily allowing everything on page.

FWIW I haven't updated Afterburner in a few months: currently using 4.61 (build 15561) and RTSS 7.2.2 (build 20238), which may be the cause.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Win10 1903 update addresses a number of memory allocation issues in the suspend/release of memory by idle applications. MSI Afterburner MUST be updated to latest version if you are running 1903 to maintain compatibility. This will fix a number of overclocking issues and application compatibility/stability issues, one of which being EverQuest.
  5. LordoftheMoo New Member

Hi all, I know it's been a few months, but after trying so many things I ended up having to do a full restore from an old backup on my computer because I reached a point where absolutely nothing worked and the entire system was hosed, so I gave up. However, I wanted to drop back because I've solved the problem and wanted to share the solution.
    I was trying to play another game (SWTOR) and it was behaving in the same fashion. It would start to launch, then hang, and I would have to kill it. I did a little googling on it, and what I found out was that someone else had the same problem, and they dug in deep and resolved the issue. On many Ryzen motherboards the audio card uses Sonic Studio 3 as the guiding software. This software is incompatible with a lot of DX9 games and will cause them to hang as they start up. All you have to do is shut down the Sonic 3 and then launch the game, and you're fine. I tested this on SWTOR, found it to work, and then decided to test it on EQ as well. Sure enough, it works! So if anyone is running on a Ryzen system with Sonic 3 Suite for the audio software, the solution is just to Exit the Sonic 3 Studio in the Systray (right click, select Exit, on the Sonic icon), launch the game, and you're good.
    Thanks for the help everyone, and happy gaming!
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am 58 and have been playing non stop for 20 years so...... ;)
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We really appreciate you returning and giving an update and possible fix for future players who may hit this issue. Always nice to have posts where something worked!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.