Thorn Wilting - Shaman Spell - any use in new expansions?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by NeverPayForLag, Oct 2, 2019.

1. NeverPayForLag Augur

I am playing now a bit more my baby Shaman and discovered this nice spell. It has no level limit but it seems that it has no real function either. I tried it on cases which this spell would be useful like Cacticii and other RoS mobs. But it seems it has no real function there. While DS is not a real deal with todays healing capacity, on some would make a Shammy sense.

Has anybody function with that spell at EoK/RoS/TBL/GMM?
    Does it only prevent a part of the DS or nothing at all at latest expansions?
  2. Brohg Augur

It doesn't reduce mob DS, that's not what the spell is for. It's for buffing *players* to reduce the damage shield the *player* has on them, so that mobs are not damaged by hitting that player.
  3. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I've never understood this spell.... i'm really unsure of when this would actually be useful.
  4. Brohg Augur

Its original purpose was very narrow: it allowed enchanters to get the AC buff from rangers and still use their defensive-proc mez self buff. For years & years, damage shields would interact extremely poorly with that, breaking every mez instantaneously & ramping the enchanters agro sky-high at the same time.

That use case is obsolete; the interaction between enc Ward self-buff & damage shields was fixed several years ago.

It had some other niche uses, like tanking fragile & detrimental-to-kill adds in raid encounters (Vishimtar in particular had those, in era)