How would you level a new Necro to 110?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Oct 1, 2019.

1. hein Augur

Ok, so I haven't played a new EQ expansion at launch and actually been ready for it since probably OOW or around that time frame. I saw a new expansion is coming out in December? looks somewhat interesting.

While I am a casual player, I'm interested in starting over as a Necro and leveling through the current content, which leaves me with two questions.

1) Is it even reasonable to think as a casual player, that I can level a Necro from 1-110 in that time frame (on FV). I'm not into boosted level 85 charters.

2) If this is possible, what leveling path would you take to achieve this? Soloing mostly, as EQ is pretty much a solo game at this point anymore.

thanks!
  2. hein Augur

I should also mention that I have a 90 something druid. However, trying to solo at this point is very slow and tedious or I would just continue with my character that's 12 years old.
  3. Brohg Augur

It's wholly possible to level all the way up very quickly, but "as a casual player" means the very-quickly is attenuated commensurate with your play time
  4. Ditka Journeyman

Depends on how much time you have on your hands. If it's just you soloing stuff, then it's going to take a full 2 months of grinding slow tedious garbage at best.

If you have friends that are willing to carry you then you can do it in a few weeks tops.
  5. Laronk Augur

Firstly it depends on your play time, for some people casual is 2 hours a week some its 2 hours a month. When you log in turn on lfg right away and have a plan of what you want to do. Also I'm going to assume we can use mercs when we want to and I guess you're not boxing (boxing one other character can make it way easier for you if you wanna try)

level 1-50 you can use a tank merc they're monsters, they don't even need a healer.

Crescent reach level 1-20ish can leave early
    Blightfire moors 20-35 ish
    City of mist 35-45
    I like planes of power pon 46-65
    pofire till 70
    Wos Murk gliders and really after 75 i dont know where the good kiting areas are but you should be trying to find groups for heroic missions at this point.

If you need help with somehting like your epic 1.5/2.0 at level 75 feel free to bug rainbowsparkles
  6. Tucoh Augur

If you're interested in getting to 110 before the next expansion, I recommend buying the heroic character and starting at 85.

If you're interested in seeing a bunch of different content and growing with your necro, start from zero. I'd recommend moving through different zones to try out new content and view each evening of play as an adventure and not focus on the experience bar all that much. I've leveled quite a few characters in EQ and the more I look at the experience bar the less fun I have.

I also recommend starting the necro on a different account than your druid and using the druid to powerlevel your necro, then two-box them when they get to the same level. With damage shields + healing, druids are effective power levelers on their own.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. ~Mills~ Augur

Getting to 110 won't happen by Dec if you're playing casually. You would need a high end power level and lots of help to go through current expansion progression that quickly if that is your goal. So you have to pick whats most important, ready to go by Dec or playing casual and working through the levels and class.

An amazing class to try and master but like any other it has its downsides and isn't for all. Its all what you take away from it.
  8. yosco Augur

Best way to level a necro is to throw it in the trash, choose a class that's desired in the group game, and start over again.
  9. Brohg Augur

nonsense. all it takes is play time & not doodling around. No sitting in Lobby begging for buffs for 2h instead of getting out & playing, for instance
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

"Casually" being the operative word. It has more than one meaning. To some, casually can mean less than 20 hours a week. At 5-10 or so hours a week there is plenty of time to go from 1 to 110 by December 1st if one has a good organized plan and a bit of help. I just started a rogue two days ago. Hit level 13 last night in the tutorial and I even if slack on it I expect to hit level 100 or so by Thanksgiving. 110 isn't my goal with it in any case. I just want to be a high enough level to pick the annoying locks in Chardok, Sebilis, and elsewhere.
  11. ~Mills~ Augur

Did you read the OP? He talks about playing casually and solo'ing mostly. He also is here asking what path to take and for advice on how best to approach that like its been awhile for him playing never mind knowing where, how or what to do for each step of the way . These things do not jive up with 110 in 2 months casually solo from scratch.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

1) No.
    1a) You should strongly consider a heroic character to meet this goal.
    2) It's POSSIBLE. But not playing casually. It will be a full-time job between now and expansion launch.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

Necro's are not a very strong class right now. Not trying to discourage you if you truly want to be a necro, but just know they don't carry the same appeal they did in OOW.

I don't think solo'ing to 110 by December is a very realistic goal. I also disagree with the game being a solo game. It's not hard to find a group. Most people who box 2 or 3 box and are more than happy to let a real person tag along. You may find yourself short changed on loot, but very ahead on XP compared to solo. I came back at 85 following HoT and got a lot of my levels following around old friends working on hunter achievements. Heroics would allow you to tag along in groups immediately, although TBL completely screwed over new and returning players with the AEs.

The game is now Free to Play FTP to 105. I would strongly suggest if you don't want a heroic character and you do want to solo you consider boxing. Boxing a free mage with your necro would be advantageous. Mages are very easy to box because you can alt tab, hit pet attack hot key and a nuke/pause x5 hotkey and continue kiting on your necro. You can also use mercs if you don't want to kite. A FTP merc box brings your solo game to a group of 4 at no extra charge. Some hassle sure. Also throw in a free bard and just let him stand afk on /melody using a merc and your goal might be a bit more attainable.

If FV is truebox, forget everything I just said.

A lot of people seem to think that boxing is antisocial behavior, but I started boxing to form groups faster, and drop my cleric when a real person shows up. People might not jump on grouping with a solo necro, but a necro boxing a mage and a bard might appeal to someone wanting to play a low level alt that has been struggling to find groups, for example.
  14. Brohg Augur

I disagree with this premise. Necromancer class is annoying to fully deploy in some situations but they've a lot of power to be deployed.

I further disagree with the course you prescribe to "trick" people into grouping with the necromancer. While a good necro certainly <3s the continuous company of a bardling (Aria is very powerful), being a good necromancer is by far the best way to get groups as a necromancer
    kizant and Scornfire like this.
  15. SunDrake Augur

1) Depends upon your play time and level of commitment to getting it done. I have leveled two Necromancers this year. One was on the new Selo TLP, and one was on a live server. Selo was significantly slower with no mercs and no twinking / PL, but that character still hit 60 with less than 2 days played. The live Necro hit 65 with around a day played. It slows down pretty significantly by 65, but you can make steady progress until around mid 80s. From there it took me some time to figure out a lot of the stuff I didn't know about the 80+ game, but your results may vary. Both characters had some wasted hours in PoK gathering spells, arranging inventory, etc. My recommendation would be to spend plenty of time kinda hashing out a plan for your play time. Do your research. Forums, ZAM, etc. Know what spells you need and what you don't. You will be gaining new spell tiers so quickly I opted to skip a huge amount of spells. Know where you will be hunting, and for how long. Have your next spot already picked out. Those spots will kinda depend on what you value in terms of how you gain exp. Part of the appeal of the class to me was that I could drop it in a moment's notice and return back to exping without much hassle. FD, Levant, etc.

2) I am only going to include the spots that I used through 80 or so. Others would be far more qualified to help from there, as I did a lot of aimless wandering around trying to figure out what armor to go for after Defiant. How to get a set of Augs, etc. There are some fun alternatives to the zones I listed if you go the route of following the Hero's Journey questline. I did it on and off on the live server because I didn't know many of those TSS / TBS zones. It is significantly slower than just grinding, and its also a ton of time wasted running back and forth to quest givers, but its a change of pace if you want that.

1-10: Gloomingdeep. [Tutorial] 10-16: Kurns Tower. 16-22: Paludal. 22-32: Lower Guk. 32-38: Gunthak. 38-42: Dulak. 42-62: Veksar. 62-70: Paw. 70-72: PoFire. 72-75: Riftseeker's Sanctum. 75-80: Loping Plains. 80-85: Gyrospire Zeka.

As for the overall goal of getting 110 by next expansion.. you might could, but I do not believe I would be able to pull that off, personally. I think if you give it a go and get rolling you'll be able to determine if that's realistic for you. I had never played a Necro, and now cannot believe I waited twenty years to do so. It's a really strong solo class. Good luck :)

Edit: Just commenting,

Since I leveled, I have read about and heard from people who swear by the efficiency of killing low and even light blues. I did not do this. I used a tank mercenary and used my pet mostly for pulling and to add DPS. I moved into a new area when mobs were either yellow or red, and stayed there until I started getting light blues. This was super easy as it was, so it never really dawned on me to further trivialize that by slaughtering light blues, but it might be better exp.. I do not know.
  16. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

;tell cazic.scornfire if you need any Guidance, always happy to help. If you can carve out enough time for a lesson burn every night you should have a fairly easy time getting to max level by next expansion, where you will once again need to level /win

[IMG]

Necros are extremely powerful in all situations
    Brohg, Duder, kizant and 1 other person like this.
  17. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Am I gunna have to leave the GH to spank some a**?
    yosco likes this.
  18. yosco Augur

haha, sure! I got a group for you anytime you want to wreck some sh*t.
  19. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Piaget is playing again, I should prolly help him xp a bit tonight if you're up for that