is it just me or

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sobmre, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Sobmre Augur

All i ever really see are big nerf changes vs very small positive changes.

Why can't these dev's learn the lesson from the h1z1 dev's, that making changes that the players hate cause nothing but bitterness and loss in population
    Venalin, Zunnoab, Teylana and 2 others like this.
  2. Mazame Augur

It is just you
    Balthen and Axxius like this.
  3. ~Mills~ Augur

It's not just you. It isn't any one change or nerf but the totality of it all the past few years or the precedence set.

Despite what the revenue statements have shown I have seen more "lifers", easily 30+ in total, retire in the past year or two then ever. Lifers meaning people who had a sub and showed up everyday for years with every intent of having a sub until the lights go off, not the well you changed this or progression is over or I am geared already or its summer time or ohh a new game type folks. Some I am sure are due to RL stuff and unrelated but most were enough is enough its just not fun anymore to get so little due to resources but then step into the wheel of nerfs every patch.
  4. Tutankamen Augur

It isn't just you. I'm old enough to remember MUDs and this thing where Devs become obsessed with making inconsequential changes that no one asks for vs adding fun content was the deathknell every time for every MUD.

They don't really much care what the majority of players want and keep on ignoring negative feedback, or perhaps rely on the consistent bootlicking of the top 1% to continue to justify making these unwanted changes. I'm pretty much done at this point based on what's happening now, with these constant 'tweaks' 'nerfs', and 'consolodations' vs adding fun content.
    Venalin, Graves and Teylana like this.
  5. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Edit: Quote taken from another thread
    Belexes likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're not imagining it. There have been quite a few highly unpopular nerfs in recent years.

HOWEVER....These nerfs were deemed necessary to the spirit of the game. I would like to see less knee-jerk response to imbalance, and more graded solution.

I was VERY vocal about the changes to HAs now nearly two years ago. I still fume about it. HA's actually got HARDER for their given era. TBM HA's now scale to EoK difficulty, for instance. This was a horrible change then, as it is now - and that's after DBG retuned the change not once, but twice. That single change, or rather the overreaching nature of it, nearly made me quit the game. I was in the middle of TBM progression in TBM gear when the change hit, and suddenly my progression became an impossible task. I felt robbed....cheated. And that first HA change was a show-stopper. Top-tier raid tanks with two player healers were getting destroyed in Tier 1 TBM missions. And it took THREE MONTHS and a 500 page thread before the Devs did anything about it. I was absolutely disgusted with EQ.

I have since moved on, but I continue to see the same overreaching, knee-jerk changes occurring with systems, zones, and classes that are months, years, or even decades old. Some argue these changes were needed. I am sure through specific, cherry-picked lenses these changes are "needed". But the final lens should always be the widest, and this is where changes like the HA and GMM fail and, ultimately, upset players. We've come to reach a dissenter's high ground, from which many among us expect to be unhappy with changes and defend that position before even knowing precisely how the change will impact us. We see the system is rigged, and expect every change to be 'bad'.

It doesn't have to be this way. The answer is somewhere between the Devs heavy hand and the dissenter's pessimism. Where are you on that scale? :)
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Think there might ever be a day that congress shows up and they come to the consensus that "laws are great and no new laws should be written"? Law makers make laws. It's inconceivable that no new laws are needed.

Devs develop. When the boss says, "what did you do today"? You simply can't say, "the game is perfect so we did nothing". New laws must be written.

I mean, sure, they could fix the sound output change crash bug. Or the advanced loot window crash bug. Or the window resize bug. Or optimize follow. Or made it so mercs can be disbanded while dead so we could immediately add a real player.

Or of course they can "balance" the game by finding a specific spell, changing the mana cost line, and pushing out a list of accomplishments.

As Sgt. Bilko said, "All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work"

Don't get me wrong. There are TONS of things that the devs do right, and I am not being sarcastic when I say that despite the preceding intended to be comical paragraphs. The devs do a great job in many ways with probably a significant lack of resources. But yes, they also screw with a ton of things that don't need to be changed.
  8. Dewey Augur

So instead of 2 expansions a year we get a system that gives us small power upgrades once a year, then nerfs the characters the rest of the year.

Coth should drop aggro. Now you dot a mob, coth and single pull it. As long as it doesn't summon your golden.

You can now use guards to xp. You do 50%damage and let the guards kill it. You still get xp. These changes that they make really seem to be taking the game in a bad direction. Every time they make one of these changes they change structures of the game that they didn't even think it would effect.

This game used to have community leaders. People from the classes that added input into the game. I didn't always agree with mine, but I see life without class leadership is even worse.
  9. yosco Augur

You said it while not really saying it... devs COULD spend their time actually fixing the reported broken or not working stuff... stuff they always say they don’t have time to do because it would take too long or be too involved. Instead, we get fade changes (again), GMM nerfs, etc.

The devs (or perhaps, more accurately, the devs’ bosses) control their time... how they spend that time tells us what the priorities are.
  10. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

couldn't you always do that? I think I remember at least early on in my EQ days I was able to do that... did it go away? thought you always got xp if you did more than 50% of the damage to a mob and were still on agro... it's like, the whole premise of out-of-group dps / plvling someone...
    Scornfire and Tucoh like this.
  11. Raccoo Augur

I think it would work as long as you did more than 50%, and got the kill shot?
  12. yosco Augur

Never heard anything about a killshot requirement.

Charm kiting was nerfed, though. You used to be able to charm a mob, sic it on a group of mobs, and before it died, invis/break charm... then you could kite it down the rest of the way. It was feasible that the PC would get full exp for only doing 1 pt of damage to the uncharmed mob. That's how my bard went from lvl 46ish to 55ish in Plane of Nightmare. It was THE BEST.

THEN... DBG/Sony/whoever nerfed charm ... need to be in melee range just to cast it ... and then I'm told they nerfed the way the experience/damage is calculated so doing the above doesn't work anymore.
  13. enclee Augur

I don't think so, I remember Sergeant Slate always kill stealing me in the East Commonlands.
  14. Bamboompow Augur

Those is the position in the community to have influence are usually the ones least effected by the changes. They have the skills, the gearing, the support of their guild mates or they have just not had any reason to interact with aspects of the game taking the hit. In other words its on them to chose to care and many probably will chose to not to. Not unless those most effected put forth some effort on their own to mitigate those negative nerf effects. In other words....get gud first, learn how to present a scientific argument , and then we can talk about nerfs.Unless you meet them halfway, don't expect any sympathy. Rather, probably the opposite.

Honestly there is no fix for all the blood letting. The Devs have their vision and the most influential players support that vision. Supporting that vision means they get to enjoy the level of challenge they are accustomed to and it keeps the riff-raff in check. Its shape up or ship out at this point for most players who feel they are being wronged. Yes, it sounds like victim blaming but hey...welcome to 2019.
  15. Axxius Augur

Good things never create a public outcry. They are mostly taken for granted. Somebody posts a 'thank you' to the devs, and 1 month later everybody behaves like it's always been that way. No matter how awesome the new feature/buff/content is, it's quickly absorbed, and the public demands more.

Nerfs always generate a lot of negative feedback. Even when it's obvious to everybody including the loudest complainers that (insert the nerfed thing) was unreasonable, and (insert the class) was never intended to have that much power in that particular area, or that risk vs reward in (insert the content) was completely broken.

And there you have it:
    I can totally believe that this person is not lying. ALL he EVER remembers is nerfs, while quickly forgetting the good things. Such is the human nature.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Sokki likes this.
  16. Raccoo Augur

I feel like if you let them know you enjoy it too much, they'll be sure to nerf it. Better not say anything so it stays the same longer.
    Caell likes this.
  17. Balthen Lorekeeper

As another poster indicated you forget the positive. There have been some many massive positive changes to this game that dwarf any nerf I can remember in 20 plus years. You simply have accepted them as the normal. The guild hall, banner to raid, HOLY SMOKES , those are huge improvements that impact player satisfaction in a way that could hardly be measured. Fellowships/campfires ? Honestly the list is almost endless.
  18. Dewey Augur

No if the guards got the kill shot the mob was not yours.
    Then if the damage number was higher for 1 hit, even if the mob was before 50, the highest damage number got the kill.
  19. Bobokin Augur

For the most part, Everquest has not been fun to play for years. The devs killed the game long ago and will stop at nothing to make sure the players suffer and bend to their will. They act like EQ is still the only game in town.

The only reason many of us are still here is because of friends and family. Soon, that will not be enough to keep even the long time players in EQ. If the devs want to nerf their own jobs away, so be it. It will be sad to see the game die, but I know many players who will be happy to see the devs finally take one for the team.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Friends and family are pretty good reasons to do lots of things. But I had fun last night when I played. perhaps you should take a break or try something different in game. I mean that both seriously and kindly. I have taken breaks from EQ several time over the last 19 years. it helped brighten my outlook.

Also, I do not think "The devs killed the game long ago...". It seems pretty alive to me. The large volume of posts on the forums and the marked jump in posts when it crashes are a testament to the fact that many players do still care about it. I don't care for the decision about fade and I saw no good reason to fix the locked door bug back when, but, I have enjoyed playing this game and plan to continue playing. I really enjoyed maxing out my Artisan's Prize a few months ago.

As a compliment, and I do realize this may seem condescending (I don't mean it that way), I appreciate that you said "...many of us are still here..." and not every player. Folks who assume that we all think the same way just really bug me.