TBL wizard burn potential.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Critts, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MrDudeGuy New Member

You act like it's a big deal, or that these are big numbers or something? It isn't, and they aren't. Just stated my opinion. Now, because you asked, here's a very mediocre (and heavily redacted) parse from very recently without full ADPS or even bothering to glyph:

https://imgur.com/qAvOlFg

Evidently, I can't post pictures, so you get a link instead.

This isn't even a good parse -- Don't want anyone to get nerfed now, do we? I'd imagine this is what would be minimally acceptable as a top 3 in any top 10 guild.

Maybe I'm out of touch, IDK.
  2. Sancus Augur

I think you're a bit confused. Kizant's sharing his DPS on a number of events along with how he's playing to give Wizards an idea of how to improve if they're performing below that. Are you a Wizard?

I'm guessing that you're not, but rather are a Necro (or maybe a Druid?), since DoT classes should be the highest performers on that raid. It doesn't really surprise me that your self parse on that event is higher than Kizant's parse for other people, for the reasons he mentioned (our parses miss a substantial amount of DoT DPS on that raid).

In terms of the overall length of the fight/top 5 numbers (even if they were accurate), no, it isn't good. That's why the video is titled "How NOT to do Generals." The overall fight length was extended pretty significantly by the numerous mana/endurance drains at the start, and a number of people would've performed better without those. I don't think anyone suggested otherwise, although I imagine kizant thought he personally played reasonably well given the circumstances.
    Travestii and Drogba like this.
  3. Repthor Augur

ppl are allways so fast to try to put others down even when they couldent dream about the same preformance in the same situation

regardless how you feel about the person who posted theres alot there shown that will elevate tons of wizzys/players, they whould be doing themselfs a diservice not to try and learn and understand
    Sancus likes this.
  4. kizant Augur

Find someone else in your guild who parsed that event and ask them what they saw for you. Make sure it's a melee/caster that stays in one place and doesn't follow the named around each event. How much lower are they seeing?
  5. Sithsonn Elder

Just is very smooth compared to my potato :p
    kizant likes this.
  6. Sithsonn Elder

I laughed a little
  7. Cicelee Augur

ROI should kick Kizant out for poor performance /nod

PS- if you missed the Sahara dry sarcasm in that line, my most sincerest of apologies

PPS- if you missed the Sahara dry sarcasm in that previous line, then... O never mind
  8. kizant Augur

Here's a GMM #1 for fun. It's nothing special obviously since it's a pretty simple event. Lag wasn't toooo bad for a change because we were short on people. At least that's my guess.

And I've got another Aalishai which is a little more typical since we didn't get completely drained. Still not really a 'good' attempt for the raid since some people didn't show up but for my DPS I did pretty good. And again that's all the focus is for these videos. I wouldn't worry too much about the other numbers and especially on an event like this one. You have to do your own estimate about how much DPS I likely missed from the top players.

I also tried syncing my max FPS in EQ with the 60 FPS I'm recording at but I don't think it changed much. I did however increase the bitrate of the records so I think they look a little better. And I added the Nvidia FPS overlay to get an idea on my actual frame rates.
  9. kizant Augur

Stratos

Smoke
    gotwar and Sancus like this.
  10. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

First … who was responsible for the Easy Breezy fail? I bet it was those damn healers...

Second, nice parse padders at the beginning of Smoke...

Third, how in the hell are you only 220 in swimming?

Thank you very much for posting all the videos. Always learn something new and seeing another guild do raids differently is always entertaining.

I'll be honest..for a burst burn mob, it's a little disappointing to see the procs more valuable than direct damage on Effortless Eruption. Not a comment on your play style as I think you are taking full advantage of what you can do through all possible avenues. Part of the appeal of the wizard for me is to blow things up with big nukes. I'm not sure I like the death by a thousand paper cuts model … but I fear it isn't changing anytime soon.

I know RoI runs probably fewer wizards than other top guilds (MS has 4 … and our attendance for all 4 is very high). Were you running just two during Stratos/Smoke?
  11. kizant Augur

I don't know how we fail the easy things but this time of year we're definitely not playing like we could be. Plenty of people are missing raids or just not trying very hard and our groups aren't always ideal. It actually helps sometimes since we have a bit less lag when we don't have a full raid.

On smoke we have necros start on mephits and everyone else up top. It seems to work pretty well and of course melee do get in some parse padding since running up that slippery spiral thing is a bit of a pain. It doesn't take too long to just have caster nuke from the top. We don't always get away with just one set of adds at the top either but tonight DPS wasn't too bad even with some people missing.

My Xegony wizard is I think my 4th wizard that I've played seriously over the years so it is missing a few things lol. I came so close to having a good jetpack on smoke. Sometimes I actually land on the roof of that building and don't need to swim at all. But hey 220 isn't bad!

We also had three wizards but that is pretty new. It was just me like 2 months ago and we're not coordinating as best as we could. And really I'm so tired of playing on FV with 5 and 6 wizards that I'm pretty lazy when it comes to alliance casts. I'll just wait until I know for sure that it won't be wasted... Although tonight I messed up and got blocked a couple times.
  12. gotwar Gotcharms

The real hidden gem from Kiz's Wizard videos from tonight:

When the adds on smoke spawn, he switches to an add no one is hitting so that his vortex charges don't get eaten by these other class's weak and inferior nukes even though nobody is actually in parse range to see the damage.

It's this kind of commitment to a belief and an ideal that other Wizards simply can't ever hope to match.
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. Renotaki Elder

How lovely that Kizant's group-mates/ guild-mates are so supportive of him. While it's a bit different than what Gotwar is talking about, I'm normally given polite condemnation when i try to implement something obsessive or micromanaging to try to push my DPS harder that involves the group or raid :( (kidding... kidding. Mostly). Also woah, Kizant has been going ham with the video quantity! Are you trying to cover every current raid in a video at least once?

P.S. Happy that my group has been so in sync and on top of adps these days. If you are reading this, you know who you are. Thanks for working with my obsessiveness.
    Travestii and RPoo like this.
  14. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I completely understand the loving slight sarcasm here ...

… but actually Kizant's play is perfect caster play for the start of the event. He hits the mob he can, then switches to the one he can continually cast on the longest given where raid dps is. In an event where you have options for targets, being smart about choosing targets can make a difference in your parse...and help the raid.

If someone relatively new to casting was reading this thread, this is the perfect example of the kind of thing that separates an average caster from a good/great caster … anticipating event targets and dps and understanding that wasting a 1.5 sec cast when you don't have to is bad (just know when your raid is mezzing, not tank mezzing). Can also be true for perfecting Covenant rotations if you have 3-5 wizards (i.e. knowing rate of kill and holding Cov for next mob if you aren't going to be able to resolve on the current one).
    RPoo likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

With all the lag we usually have and when our total raid DPS is often over 20 million it really is important to start casting only when you're pretty certain your spells are actually going to land. If you think something could be dead within 3 seconds and instant nukes are locked out then you really have to move on to something else.

I totally understand why some people complain about their DPS at the beginning of Stratos when your raid is not allowed to AE. There isn't really a good option. Spam cloudburst and just get used to losing... For example, just look how early I start casting on infernos to get an ethereal in at the beginning of Stratos. And that only works because I can rely on everyone else in ROI to do the same thing I am.

Now, at the beginning of smoke, I thought we were supposed to keep balance. That's why I switched targets extra early. Is that not what we're supposed to do? It's so confusing. Balance this and don't balance that. Raid leaders need to make up their minds and stop changing strats every week.

Oh and yeah I was asked about every event in TBL so I figured I'd try to post a video for each one. But then some weeks our groups are messed up or I forget to turn on the hidden names thing in my parser or I forget to use glyphs or die or whatever. It's just taken a while to get some good runs in worth showing. GMM1 is hard because of lag and since we don't take much of a break between events my burns are all down for GMM2.

One day I'm going to save them and start GMM2 fresh for a better example. Which again people need to only pay attention to my DPS. I'm only posting videos where I have enc/dru/bard and you can see what burns I have up at the start so you can judge where you think my DPS should be. And in some of my videos I may come in #1 but that doesn't mean it's typical. Everyone should know how it is over the summer with attendance and people not putting in full effort and which events I'm going to get accurate numbers for other classes, etc.

Seriously, if you're not a Wizard + someone who regularly parses the raid and pays attention to what other classes are doing you're probably going to come to some wrong conclusions. So just ask questions here before posting misunderstood assumptions elsewhere.
    Xurn and Renotaki like this.
  16. kizant Augur

The comment about balancing adds was a joke if it wasn't obvious. :(
  17. Cicelee Augur

Biggest surprise in this thread. Kizant sometimes dies on a raid.
    kizant likes this.
  18. Critts Augur

Im glade to see you guys still posting here.
  19. Renotaki Elder

So, today I had a near perfect situation for a wizard parse so I'd like to put it here. Obviously, my group/ raid giving me the support deserves a lot of credit too. Outside of just getting better spell RNG, I don't think there's much I could have improved on here outside of just banner burning as well. There were four wizard on the raid so fulminations were easy. I even took out Stormjolt because we were getting buff locked on the raid boss anyways, so I didn't cast it. Also I don't think i mentioned it on the forums, but I did end up getting my symp proc/ melee proc augs for my chase items too.
    Group was my normal one. Wiz /Wiz/ Mage/ Ench/ Dru/ Bard.

Rustbottom, Grinder of Gears in 171s, 188.7m @1103264 | Renotaki + pets 182.0m@(1,064.5k in 171s) {G}

[IMG]
    RPoo, Sancus, Xurn and 2 others like this.
  20. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Very nice parse and I'll admit, pretty darn jealous. GMM1 was as laggy as hell for us tonight and I had a poor run … came nowhere close to your parse.

If you feel like sharing, did you top the parse? If not, what percentage of the top did you finish?

I think that's really the most disappointing thing for me right now as a wizard in my guild. I'm good, occasionally great when Jupiter aligns with Mars, and there's not a ton of variance in my parses that cannot be explained by luck, lack of bard, or stuck in the necro group (aka no druid or bard). And I'm still getting beat, sometimes by a good amount, by the (excellent) melee/hybrid dpsers on the parse in our guild.

But the arcane fusion change was in the right direction and there's always hope for the new expansion.
    Brohg likes this.