War Chieftain Dorwikak

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sputnik_Stan, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Sputnik_Stan Journeyman

Been camping him for the last 3 days now with no luck in the last room of the rat area in COD.

Is he a really rare pop or is he timed.

Hope someone has the answer, last one needed in this zone.
  2. Ngreth Thergn Developer

He looks like a rare pop (by his percentage change to spawn) and he has the rare spawn flag. His encounter is active, but I didn't dive real deep to see if something else on the zone is disabling him.

Are you encountering his placeholder, Bubonian_War_Rat ?
    Zunnoab likes this.
  3. Danaleigh Elder

Had the same problem with that guy. Eventually he spawned.
  4. Sputnik_Stan Journeyman

Thank you Ngreth for responding and looking into it.

There certainly is Bubonian War Rat at the spot where he is supposed to pop, it is maybe looking like he is a really rare spawn.
  5. Sputnik_Stan Journeyman

Thanks for that, I will keep trying :)
  6. Orbital101 Augur

A few of those CoD rares can take a few days to spawn, same for PoWater.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. gnomeboss Augur

assassin kakoo says hi.

re: war chieftan, i just did cod about 10 days ago and can confirm he spawns exactly where he's marked on good's SuperPro maps.
  8. Sputnik_Stan Journeyman

Posting and asking on here about him did the trick, he just popped, COD done, haven't done water yet /sigh.

Thank you for all the replies :)
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  9. Ngreth Thergn Developer

:) I didn't give you the percent... it is low!
  10. Lianeb Augur

Just for curiosity sake.
    What is a determining factor for a rare spawn percentage?
    I would think that rare spawns in modern EQ are pretty much the same but I could wrong.
    But on the old rares was it lore, items, or something else. Again just curious why the different rates?
    Nniki, Nennius and Mazame like this.
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I think standardization of rares came about around Omens, maybe Gates, where it generally was 1 spawn every 72 minutes if all ph's were killed. So a zone with a 12 minute respawn and 3 ph would see 18 ph in 72 minutes so the spawn chance per spawn was around 5% (1 in 18). Single spawn point rares are easier to camp, but multi spawn rares were more likely to pop whenever the zone crashed/patched.

Planes is an entirely different kettle of fish as each zone was left up to individual devs. BoT for example had consistent spawns with specific PH (Krigers) and one loot every kill. Disease had rather rare spawns with a low chance (until recently) of it even dropping a loot when killed. Justice has a large number of named mobs that spawn all the time (so aren't on hunter) yet very rarely drop loot at all.

There is the occasional oddball, like "crazed statue" in The Ascent. No ph at all, just a flat two hour respawn with one loot per kill (the lvl 65 ft3 shield is actually pretty decent in era)
    Ngreth Thergn likes this.
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

In that era... the whim of the designer.

Currently we tune it so *ON AVERAGE* you see each rare every 72 minutes (At least that is our goal that we don't always hit)
    This average has the minor failure that it is simple math and assumes instant death of all placeholders as soon as they are up.
    (I.E. Rasper is correct)

As with anything that is an average, and deals with random numbers, there can be wide swigs.
    Nennius, Sancus, Nniki and 1 other person like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Wide Swigs? Drinking analogies ahoy!
    Wide Swings? Ogres are happy to be allowed back in the playground.
    Duder likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And in the case of Vaniki the Devs just hates us all!