Blatant botting is completely out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by JeffHanson, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Whulfgar Augur

So what would be a good way to determine that ?
  2. code-zero Augur

AFAIK if someone fails to respond to communication attempts by GM's they're highly likely to summon your characters to succor to get your attention. If you continue to fail to respond they'll remove your characters from the game and hand you a suspension or worse depending on whether or not you've done that before.

That's how it works and I doubt that you can come up with any argument that they've not heard before.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

Watch them for a while, if your pretty sure their actions are automated, wait until they get the mob they're fighting to about 15% then gm kill it.. keep doing that for a bit.

If they just keep going like nothing is wrong.. well you got yourself some automated game-play. What REAL person wouldn't notice their mobs not giving XP or loot? You might miss one, that's why I said do it to a few in a row to be sure.
  4. birdsong_pawn Augur

Do what Zanamar suggested, or GM-summon one or more of the group members across the zone. If they don't complain, but rather keep running around like confused lemmings (or just stand there) while their script tries to adapt, you've found yourself an automated bot group.
  5. Graves Elder

Is English not your first language? Met in game. I have not met you in game, have I? We play on different servers.The forum is not the game. Well at least not to me.

And while we are at it I put two caveats on that statement, met in game and did not use 3rd party software. Judging by your post history and the make up of the group you say you did it with (and I have no reason to doubt that) to say I am skeptical you did it without 3rd party software would be the understatement of the century.

Got any videos of you boxing the 6 man team without third party assistance?
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hardly. Try using your brain.

Who says it's one player in the zone? WTH can one player do? You bring your group to the zone, you let your guild in the zone. You just keep the botters out.

And how is this giving the botters what they want? They want to dominate content, so that you have to go to them to get the loot, or to keep you from progressing/completing quests. Now, you would be able to quest/progress as you wish, and make your own attempts at the loot.

It is PRECISELY NOT what the botters want.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What exploit? You mean you can beat it without killing adds if you do it in under 90-110s or so? That's not an exploit. That's how the mission works. His hitpoints don't lock until a certain number of adds are up.
  8. Crokker Lorekeeper

From what people are saying in this thread it seems that people who do not use cheating software think that much of EQ is over-tuned to compensate for the rampaging accounts that are effectively playing on /auto and they think that progression/farming/gearing/etc. would be easier for them to accomplish with the cheaters removed in one capacity or another.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that idea and in no way condone cheating but there is a simple way to fix the issue by moving offending players to a server where everyone cheats. I've suggested something similar earlier in the thread but it truly would quiet many of the concerns voiced here by eliminating the threats (real or imagined) from cheaters while continuing to generate revenue for DBG.

Everyone that remains behind on the non-cheating servers should have nothing to say about their own limitations of progression/farming/gearing once the dust settles and whatever balancing changes occur post quarantines/banishments. The biggest problem then would be whether the remaining server populations would be enough.
  9. Whulfgar Augur

Bwhahahahahahhaa

I can absolutly make vidoes for you to see i dont use 3rd party boxing assistance of any kind in grp content.

Or you can ask repthor officer of triton. He has remoted into my computer to help install an run dx9 or whatever it was to play eq when i got a new puter and was installing.

Failing thats mot good enough proof for ya. YOU.. can also remote in an check every file i have to verify i do not use those programs.

I am neither smart enough to install nor run or even update such things ..

Tucoh has been asking me to learn it as well here on these very boards..

But either way your claim is smashed ..

Lmfao
  10. Graves Elder

Go on then. Let's see the videos. I'd like to see how its done.

But you still fail on the first criterion of having met in game, don't you? In addition to failing reading comprehension of course.
  11. code-zero Augur

#7 in the Everquest Rules of Conduct

So yes, you do have to respond to /tell from any authorized personnel like GM's
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Soon as i get back from the mall .. i will absolutley make 1 for ya.
  13. Tanols Augur

I believe the threshold is 51% of damage for xp and loot. Other than that valid.
    Depending on group make up identifying someone who is using 3rd party software to automate game play is not that difficult to spot. Especially if being used for character positioning. Another dead give away is any repetitive activity that can reveal a set pattern.

I 4 box and am often too busy to pay attention to any chat windows, never mind tells. A trigger would fix this. Nothing anyone has to say to me in game is life or death importance. So far.
    And yes I completed all TBL progression for my box crew with only getting assistance on one Trial that required 2 tanks or ranged dps which I do not have.

For 20 yrs I have witnessed players using various third party programs to cheat. I have seen people get suspended, accounts banned, and rumors of IP addresses blocked. This issue seems to never go away, and the "cheaters" always seem to find a way to continue their illicit activity. From an economic point of view I can see where it is NOT in DBG's best interest to pour too much into stopping it from happening. Prevention also seems to be improbable if not impossible.
    Having player's "look the other way" when such activity is taking place doesn't help any either. It is really too bad that activities that players could take to discourage, disrupt botters, are also a breach of the EULA.

On a side note I have often wondered how much of an impact removing advanced looting would have. As well as any social that allows one to target and loot a corpse. Yes these are major QOL features, and I like them but if it made life miserable for the "cheats" I could live without them.
  14. AcemoneyFV Augur

Don't talk about it, be about it.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  15. Graves Elder

In the days before chests /target and /loot commands rescued many a raid where the corpse ended up in the wall.

That said it seems to me bot crews were a rarity before advanced looting system was introduced. Now they seem to be at it 24/7.
  16. Tanols Augur

I forget if there is a / command to actually remove/pick up items from corpse. That is what I meant to say should be removed from game.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

You know how to post vidoes per chance ??
  18. Tanols Augur

there is a quick link to media to paste url into in the tools to the right and below the smiling face.
  19. Laronk Augur

I might notice the mobs poofing at 15% like on the 5th mob but usually i let advanced loot handle stuff and minimize the window so it doesn't pop up I normally only check it every 20 minutes unless im mass killing (if mass killing you gotta clean it up or it crashes you!)
  20. Laronk Augur

You think the advanced loot window should be removed from the game? The way that loot used to work was terrible.