Raise the levels to 120 or 125 with new expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by •Obss•, Sep 20, 2019.

1. •Obss• Journeyman

If levels increase by 5 with each expansion for 20 years this means the level increase is always getting weaker relative to the lower player-base with each expansion:
    60 -> 65 = 8.3% increase
    65 -> 70 = 7.1% increase
    80 -> 85 = 5.9% increase
    105 -> 110 = 4.5% increase

The only way to counter this level increase inflation is go straight to 120, 125, or even 130. This makes getting level 120 a real achievement with envious power for the mere level 110s.

Also, something needs to appear in POK/GL and attack the idle adventures. I thought Norrath was a changing dynamic world. Characters should not idle for days or weeks at a time without some dragon or forces of nature coming by and consuming them.

Thank you.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

3. Sancus Augur

The number of levels is meaningless. The % upgrade in the spells is what matters. One level with a massive XP requirement and a 20% upgrade to every class spell is no different than 10 levels that requrie 1/10th the XP and spread spells over 10 levels (or two sets of new spells, each with increases of 9.5%).
    Coagagin and Duder like this.
  4. Dreadmore Augur

is this post serious
    Bigstomp and Fian like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

well shoot - guess I didn't pay enough attention to math in school. No idea the teacher meant I would need it for EQ!!!. All this is way over my head - guess I will just go play the game and have fun.
    Nennius and Duder like this.
  6. Angahran Augur

Level increases are pretty much pointless, they actually appear to make players weaker in comparison to NPCs.

We get a level increase, 5 new levels, woohoo!
    We get the same spells& abilities we had for the last 5 levels, copy&pasted with maybe a 1% increase in power (and a 10% increase in mana/end cost).

Meanwhile the 'trash' mobs we have to kill by the tens of thousands in order to level gain 1000%
    A few million more HP, fun abilities like spell reflection, skill and spell, silence, mez, etc.
    Grove likes this.
  7. •Obss• Journeyman

True for new content but I'm thinking of relative power over old content. Our relative power increase are being watered down!
  8. Tucoh Augur

Let's go full asian grinder with itt. Raise it to 130 and double the xp requirements per level. If anyone hits max level before the end of the year the system has failed.
  9. kizant Augur

The problem is that 255 is the level of most non player spells and procs. And 250 and 254 have been used for some special cases. The max player level we can really have might be 245?

So we only have 135 to work with. At 5 levels per increase we can have 27 more increases. At every other year we are going to run out in only 54 years. They need to start spacing the increases out more and conserving them imo. Cant just skip a bunch all at once!!
    IblisTheMage, Zunnoab, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

EQ is going to be wild when we hit 255 and unlock all those abilities. Then we'll get one more and get auto xferred to the new game+ server where we can grind paragon levels.
    Tatanka likes this.
  11. Laronk Augur

Nah, 54 years from now the'll introduce multi classing or they'll let you do the DDO thing where your character can be reborn as a level one with some special bonus from leveling all the way again.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Look gang, levels, gear, blah blah. Just enjoy the ride. It's almost over.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Dogbert would approve.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. svann Augur

Levels are logarithmic power gain, not linear.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Fian Augur

Kunark raised the level cap by 10. That was a mistake. It made all classic content zones light blue at best, which means the only zones that would be useful experience was Kunark. From there they learned to raise level caps by only 5. That means that zones in the most recent expansions are still valid experience, as mobs will still con dark blue in most cases. That is why EOK is still popular even though level cap is currently 110. So assuming level cap is 115 in new expansion, hunting in RoS and TBL zones will still be viable.

So if we followed your proposal, hunting in TBL and other expansions would be a waste of time after level cap was increased to 120.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Lets go to level 256. I'm sure that will be amazing for the game engine.
    Jhenna_BB and kizant like this.
  17. •Obss• Journeyman

Interesting point, I didn't realize that about the Kunark release. But this just means the con color needs to be updated for the high number of levels too.

50 -> 60 = 20% increase = :(
    110 -> 120 = 9% increase = :)

18. Dreadmore Augur

ok, at this point you must be joking... you gotta make it more obvious when you start a joke thread. you know things like this don't communicate well over plain text
    Duder likes this.
  19. Fian Augur

They make mobs more than 5 levels below you less experience on purpose. If they didn't, it would be too easy to get exp fighting mobs that are trivial to you. Current system is balanced well. 5 levels per expansion, only get good experience for mobs within 5 levels of you.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that would matter as if EQ lasts long enough for that to be an issue they likely will have changes in place to either up the level of those are so that a level is not needed to prevent them from being used. Not to mention players wouldn't be able to use those anyway regardless of the level and they have it at those levels for how code handles them for things like focus effects.