Pay-to-win?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by gambitak, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Fluid Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=82601 You can do this quest at level 1, but you can't use the hammer until level 5. :)

I want to say you are doing it the hard way which is meritorious but unnecessary. Are you running two accounts or one? Reason I ask is because I have no trouble twinking or otherwise leveling characters on a second account and it is only slightly harder on a single account.

There is no limit on how low you can stoop with the Teek Quests. If your level 85 character and your level 55 character are on different accounts, just level the Berzerker up to level 56 and they will be able to team up with the level 85 character. Have them both in the same join/party and both request the level 50, 55, 60, tasks from Teek. Shouldn't take longer then a couple of hours, maybe less, and you will net 6 pieces of level appropriate armor for sure and maybe some augmentations that you can give the Berzerker.

If they are on the same account, just have the level 85 character do the level 50, 55, 60, tasks and put the rewards into the shared bank. Doesn't have to be for the Berzerker, tasks can be done for any character this way.

I've never really ran into a lot of problems with competition for drops. I mean it has happened but I seldom do a lot of camping for days or weeks on end. My attitude is ~If it takes a week to camp, it's not worth it. This hold true for a lot of old world stuff, maybe just not the items you mentioned. Remember I do a lot of stuff just for shitz and giggles, I put Journeyman Boots on a Druid and my favorite fashion statement is the Cloak of Hazy Memories. For instance I regard Tolan's Darkwood Bracer as a waste of time since it is only good from level 45 to 59 when a Ranger gets Endless Quiver.

What I am trying to convey is there are more ways to skin a cat. If you are frustrated with the way you are going about it, just change your technique to something you find more enjoyable.
  2. Dahaman Augur

Someone correct me here if I get this wrong...

/bazaar - allows you to see what is for sale, if people are selling it, you might too
    /barter - allows you to see what people are buying, you can sell to these people immediately
  3. Scorrpio Augur

An old world 36% haste on a lvl 25 (there is a 10% worn haste cap before that) is indeed awesome. But on a lvl 58 that is one level away from Elaborate Combatant that has 33% haste,way better stats and is absurdly easy to get.
    Some baz pointers:
    First, you can use your 85 to farm a bit of quick plat. Many PoP areas got mobs dropping gems like crazy. Same for Luclin (i.e. Grieg End). And you can pick up a fair amount of defiant there.
    A lot of time you might see high levels farming in various lvl 50-70 zones, though it is mostly for tradeskill stuff. Many just leave defiant drops to rot and will not mind if you loot it. If you joing a local 'family' guild, and let people know you need X type defiant, folks might have some in their banks, or just forward you the drops they get while farming.
    Check NPC vendors in PoK and baz. Once looking for some gear for my twink, and seeing only one pair of ornate greaves listed for like 10k, I found one on trade satchel vendor for like 500.
    Also, if you play mostly during 'prime' US time, so do most others. Baz selling requires a sub, so a lot of folks setup their traders when not playing. In other words, best shopping is around 5am EST.

Now about people just barging in and taking the kills... sad but thats life. Back when these mobs required a sizable team, it was different. But now a single player can one-shot the old raid mob. There might be one for every 100 decent people, but that is enough. I usually ask people in zone what they are after, and will not mess with their camp. But as you were going after high-ticket item dropping mobs, those are known targets of d-bags so decent folks no longer bother.
  4. SunDrake Augur

I just want to make sure you understand how Heroic Characters work. You can delete and re-create a Heroic Character as many times as you want. So let's say you had made an 85 Shaman and didn't know the class. Delete it, recreate a character of your choice, and then the option to make that character Heroic would be there. Do note that this applies only to Heroics that you paid for, or were granted during one of the two free Heroic offers done over the years. One of those free Heroics granted CANNOT be deleted and remade, and one CAN. So make sure you know where that Heroic slot came from before you do this. Also make sure you strip the character of everything useful and either store it in Shared Bank or Parcel the stuff to another of your characters.
  5. gambitak New Member

Wow, I did that Auto-Grant AAs and my 55 Berserker was granted 200 right away. Also, I wasn't aware you could delete Heroic characters; I'm trying out a new one now. Thank you!

I only have one account, now, well, that I'm willing to pay for. I was able to recover 2 of my accounts, thank goodness and one of them had a Cowl of Mortality on it.

@SteelToe I haven't claimed most of my rewards as I'm not sure what I want to make my main. I saw that they can give you some nice stuff, though. However, if I go with a monk or ranger, I'd want to level him to 55-65 first, or so it would seem to make it worth it.
  6. john5 Lorekeeper

The problem gambitak is having, is that he is living in the past and refuses to accept that his knowledge of the game is dated and useless. He's like a radio shack manager who knows everything about the new 2.4 ghz cordless phones and really wants to sell us one. But we live in the smartphone era.

All this talk about what items still hold up, coming from a guy who hasn't been around for years is cringe worthy for sure. Ok buddy, keep wasting your time camping stuff that is completely obsolete and inferior. Forget gaining levels, forget free daily quest gear and cheap defiant. Just live in the past. Because learning new content is scary.
  7. Scorrpio Augur

A bit harsh, that. Camping top-shelf Velious stuff that has no level restrictions, can make for some fun low-level twink experience. But even without, just using Defiant, new characters can fly through levels with a J1 merc. Spending weeks to camp stuff that your twink will outlevel in 2 days is highly inefficient unless one gets the kick out of the process itself. I did epic 1 and 2 for my box mage just for the heck of it - and to get the 2.0 ornament.
    If the goal is to catch up to majority of playerbase asap, camping Velious raid mobs is definitely the wrong way to go. If one got the $$, best option is to go heroic and learn from there.
    Fluid likes this.